"Official" T904 Thread

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by SF6, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

About what I was expecting, and I think everything you said was pretty much fair, but in the T904's defense...

It isn't consumer premium it is business premium. The packaging you pointed out is a prime example. Fujitsu doesn't do retail (at least in the US). The packaging you saw is what everyone sees. I think the fact that consumers can buy them at all is just Fujitsu throwing us a bone. "Ok, if you are willing to pay we will sell you one." They intend these to be sold in bulk to enterprises, universities, etc and configured/administered by tech departments. They are in no way consumer premium. Their packaging is utilitarian. They make no attempt at the box opening Christmas morning experience. The customer service is bare bones and will talk down to you. They don't have user friendly bloatware to keep your machine up to date. I think their intention is to leave this up to the tech departments administering the devices so they can decide for example if a given update breaks more than it fixes (this happens all the time).

The view angles are definitely bad. I think they are significantly better than TN, but definitely well below your typical IPS. I agree lying flat on a table (particularly I high one) is pretty bad. Having used TN tablets for a decade now though I'm pretty accustomed to this problem. If I use it on a table, I prop something under the far side. I have a triangular column of card board and duct tape I made many years ago sitting on my desk just for this purpose =) Even without the view angles I'd use it for the more comfortable writing angle. Despite being much thinner than my old convertibles it is still too elevated off the desk to write on it comfortably while flat (the same goes for the SP1/2 IMO). It fixes two birds with one stone =) Most of the time though I prefer to write on it in my lap which also tends to alleviate the problem.

Another place where the view angles are less of a problem is in laptop mode, which admittedly is how I use the device 90% of the time =) For me, I wanted a laptop first and a large writing space second. My 8" Asus M80TA is my primary penable tablet.

We obviously have very different use cases and your blogs audience is much more in line with your use case =) But I just wanted to post an apposing view point. For what I need, I think it is pretty much the best device on the market.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
    stoneseeker and CompTech like this.
  2. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hey Mesosphere, I tried to balance out my rough review by including ATIVQ's post at the end, but please consider copying and pasting yours into the review's comments section. I'm sure many readers will appreciate your point of view. You're right about one thing: I judged the T904 solely as a tablet. Once I folded it over, I never unfolded it again except to restore it before shipping back to Newegg.

3. dk0r

dk0r (x+7)² ≠ (x²+49)

I'm glad to see the T904 get some attention.

While I think the t904 is the most versatile tablet-pc I've ever owned, the article raises many good points about the device.

Unfortunate for Fujitsu, I'll never forgive them for these useless speakers..

4. surfaceproartist

I never ran any audio to hear the speakers for myself.

5. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

If you had, your review would have been worse. By far the worst laptop/tablet speakers I've ever heard =P

I've been wondering though if replacing them would do any good. They are easily accessible after removing the bottom plate.

6. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Are they worse than the T902? The speakers on any oldschool convertible (business lines) were generally terrible, but I was also appalled at the quality of sound when I got my first one. I wonder if the T904 is even worse sounding...

SurfaceProArtist, one thing I feel was unfairly evaluated was windows 7 on the machine. "but why in the world would any IT person (besides an absolute Luddite) cripple an expensive multitouch and pen capable device with an OS that doesn't support those features?"

I refuse to use the T902 with Windows 8. Although there are some advantages with regards to using touch for just whizzing around in the OS environment, it's not like touch doesn't work in Windows 7. It's the same hardware support, it's just "friendlier" in Win 8. I have used a T902 with Windows 8 (my bosses) and one with Windows 7 (mine) both extensively. If I wanted to leaf through a .pdf, I could use either machine rather easily with any pdf viewer that supported touch. If I wanted to do serious work however, I would turn off touch on my win7 machine and get to painting/animating. In Windows 8 I gotta use some weird hack that turns off touch at the display manager level? I couldn't easily turn off touch, which was more than a nuisance, I wont draw on a screen with touch on unless the software will only interpret touch as a pan or zoom and even then I'd still probably turn off touch. I like to make broad sweeping strokes with my pen, and this means lifting my pen tip often too high for palm rejection to work all the time and that usually means stray marks, or the canvas going flying into oblivion.
    In general, I found the tabletPC experience to be glitchier in Windows 8 too (although 8.1 has seemed to improve for some people). More issues with auto rotation not working and a pile of other things that frustrated me to no end. The biggest thing I have against Windows 8 though, is it feels like a step in the same direction as Apple OSX, which is to me a nightmare. It's getting harder to get past the UI in Windows now to get your hands dirty. When I try to operate a mac, it's like I am fighting a pretentious computer snob who is constantly telling me: "trust me, you don't want to do that. I'll tell you how you should do it." Streamlined and customer friendly... The dumber it treats the user, the more fed up I become with an OS. At the same time I don't want a OS as user-liberating (and confusing) as Linux either. I think there is a balance, and to me that balance is Windows 7. Just my 2 cents. A utilitarian OS for utilitarian machines...

7. surfaceproartist

[video=youtube;4FhtnKzmxfQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FhtnKzmxfQ&list=UUE05Loo-ADhXiofF6poA4SA[/video]

8. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Yes, I know Clip Studio Paint is using touch the proper way. But it still doesn't make your point any stronger for Windows 7 being a inferior OS. Those features and that program work perfectly well in Windows 7 as well.

I think if I were a comic artist I would be attempting to look for ways to incorporate touch into my workflow, but as an animator who primarily uses Flash CS6 to traditionally animate 2D I have to turn off touch to work smoothly in that program. Flash is a nightmare if touch is on and you are going from scrubbing the timeline to drawing to selecting tools, etc, all the while getting kicked out of symbols by your palm.

One program like CSP taking steps forward lets me hope more will follow suit, but till touch becomes the standard in the professional space (no one uses touch or windows 8 in our studio or the larger one in town either), and every software vendor has to adjust to that fact, I will need the option of turning off touch.

9. surfaceproartist

I posted that to illustrate the joys of touch coupled with good palm rejection. Besides drawing, painting and sculpting, most other applications don't lend themselves to touch. Any time I need to use a time line I resort to a bluetooth mouse or touchpad.

10. surfaceproartist

I most appreciate whenever Windows 8.x offers a touch friendly alternative to achieving a task. Working exclusively in desktop mode can sap the fun out of using any tablet.

stoneseeker likes this.