"Official" T904 Thread

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by SF6, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Simon25

Simon25 Pen Pal - Newbie

Bios 1.11 available
    Solved problems:
    - Update PXE module (legacy: v1.5.53)
    - Some BIOS menu items (e.g. fingerprint sensor, internal camera, smart card) may not be shown if setting “fast boot” is enabled

No problems installing and using. Now I know why there have been options missing the last time i looked....

Unlogic likes this.
  2. Precurve

Precurve Scribbler - Standard Member

Are you sure that you have completely uninstalled Fujitsu Display Manager? That was the main culprit for me and it wasn't enough to prevent it from loading at startup. I had to uninstall it.

I have two docks (home and office) and had these kinds of problems when I first got started, I'm not entirely sure I remember everything I did. But I do have it set up now so that I can have it docked with lid closed, lid open, tablet mode, notebook mode, external monitors vert or horizontal, etc. When I undock it now goes into 904 screen on, rotation unlocked. I have different monitors at each location. And in my home office I use a switcher to toggle/hotswap a mac in and out of one of the external monitors and it all works remarkably well.

I rely on the Intel HD Graphics control panel to track all that. (right click desktop Intel Graphics Properties). It turns out you need to fuss a bit with both the stock microsoft Screen Resolution Display manager (right click desktop) to get the exact setting you want and then record the profile in the Intel Display manager to get all of it balanced.

Its pretty automated provided there is a single profile for a given set of monitors. But I do have to manually change the profile when I switch from horizontal external monitors to vertical using the same gear (Cintiq 21x + Asus 2550x1440). Its two mouse clicks away.

If you haven't tried this,
    1) create a new profile in Intel Graphics manager for your 904 when its undocked and the screen is on.
    2) create another profile for when it is docked with whatever external monitors you have.

If all this seems to basic or you are way past this, apologies. But I can say that I have my t904 doing a large variety of screen changes for different modes and its working great provided I keep very intentional profiles in the Intel Manager.

3. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

Surface Pro 3 i7 is 20% faster than the T904 i7 according to the Geekbench 3 benchmark software. The difference in memory performance is especially puzzling. I hope a firmware update will allow the T904 to maximize its processing power at the price of running as hot as the Surface Pro 3. The Surface is also about equal to the T902 in CPU performance, so it looks like ultra-low-voltage processors are capable of matching their full-voltage predecessors.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  4. in4mer

in4mer Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks for your help.

I've installed windows 8.1 fresh and did not install the fujitsu display manager.

The blanking of the screen happens at boot so I suspect something to do with firmware. If you don't have any problems, then maybe it's our machine. I dunno...

5. dk0r

dk0r (x+7)² ≠ (x²+49)

1. I have a wacom stylus w/ two side buttons, and yes, both buttons are functional and can be assigned custom commands.

2. Lasso functionality can work, but not by default.
    If Fujitsu's Wacom driver (ISD Tablet) is installed, then the drivers default settings prevent the stylus' side button(s) from activating the lasso in Onenote 2013 (the desktop variant).

I enabled the desired behavior as follows:
    Control Panel > Pen Tablet Properties > 'side button dropdown' > Tablet PC > Tablet PC Defined.
    You could also completely remove the Wacom driver which should also restore lasso/button functionality.

- Windows 8.1 64
    - Onenote Professional Plus 2013
    - FTS_FujitsuTabletPCDigitizerDriver_71217_1110675

Here's a screen of my 'Pen Tablet Properties' settings:
    [​IMG]
    http://i.imgur.com/VFkFJt0.png

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
    Unlogic likes this.
  6. norvillerogers

norvillerogers Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks, dk0r! That's the same trick to get it to work on my Q584. Shame they haven't made this more user friendly.

Even so, especially with the price of $1599 at newegg (link, also deal forum post), I have to say, I'm becoming more and more tempted...

7. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

I contacted Fujitsu support about the apparently weak CPU performance but I just got a canned response telling me to update my drivers and firmware. There's a potential 20% performance increase here, is there any way to get Fujitsu to seriously look into the issue?

8. Unlogic

Unlogic Scribbler - Standard Member

I suspect contacting first line support won't do much. We need to get in touch directly with the people making these devices so I suspect Fujitsu in Japan or Germany is the way to go.

The information regarding the BIOS fix for the fan noise issues came from Fujitsu Germany so they seem to have some connections with the Fujitsu development department.

9. CompTech

CompTech Pen Pal - Newbie

The link goes to a comparison of Geekbench 3 scores for a T904 (i7-4600U, 8 GB RAM) and a Surface Pro 3 (i7-4650U, 8 GB RAM). There are two types of Geekbench 3 scores, 32-bit and 64-bit. The Geekbench Browser lets you browse by notebook/tablet type. It looks like the link in the comparison is for a 32-bit T904 test and a 64-bit Surface Pro 3 test. 64-bit tests generally have higher scores.

If you use the Geekbench 3 browser to compare 32-bit tests for T904 (i7-4600U) with Surface Pro 3 (i7-4650U), the Surface Pro 3 is only around 5% faster. For example, recent Single Core/Multicore 32-bit results for a T904 i7-4600 are 2831/5159 (similar to those shown in the original link). Recent 32-bit results for a Surface Pro i7-4650U are 2988/5560 and 3093/5396. The conclusion is that there actually is not very much difference.

Unlogic, stoneseeker and ATIVQ like this.
  10. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member