"Official" T904 Thread

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by SF6, Mar 12, 2014.

1. tenfooterpipi

tenfooterpipi Pen Pal - Newbie

Oh man, that does not bode well. Has anyone been braved enough to buy from Fujitsu to the U.S, or does all the Fujitsu units come from Japan and the shipped to different retailers to different parts of the world? I got the funds to buy, and now that I seen the innards of the laptop, I know for a fact that both RAM and HDD can be swapped out for a bigger RAM and SDD. Don't mean to be a troll here, I hope this fan issue is just for a select few and not a design flaw carried out from the t902.

I mean my T901 is noisy enough, but for the price and dedicated GPU, and the bonus of a hybrid Tablet PC, is acceptable. But t904, a newer slimmer profile with specs of an ultrabook, and the price you pay, I feel for the new early adopters and it does warrant worries for future owners and devout followers of the Fujitsu Lifebook line.

Let's hope this get fixed.

2. Precurve

Precurve Scribbler - Standard Member

I called the 800 fujitsu number yesterday to better understand ship times and a couple other things that were confusing about the online US order form. I was told the units currently all ship from Japan and that a ship date would be emailed from Japan within a day from the order being placed. BTW the agent was super helpful and Im now way more likely to order on the phone than web, which is unusual for me. I'm holding off for a few days though to see how these issues all resolve.

Deeply appreciative of the early explorers posting discoveries here.

3. in4mer

in4mer Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm certain if enough people complain, they'll fix it with a firmware fix. Had that problem with the elitebook revolve. (I personally never really noticed it). Firmware simply changed when the fan turned on.
    In my opinion, having the fan on will help elongate the life of the cpu (heat slowly kills the CPU) but I can understand that if it's on full blast, it can be quite annoying.

4. forcemac

forcemac Pen Pal - Newbie

This might be a dumb question, but if the windows software doesnt seem to alter the fan behavior why not look in the bios? I susepct there may not be any fan speed options in a commerical laptop bios, but its worth looking into so we can scratch it off.

My dell xps m1330 had fan isses and dell fixed with a bios...we can also hope. But then again the 1330 had defective gpus as well....

5. SF6

SF6 Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm visiting my girlfriend today. I'll ask her to see if I'm just crazy and I will compare fan noise to her 500€ notebook.

Btw, does anyone know how to set display scaling in Metro UI and log on screen? It seems like Windows uses 200% per default but that's a bit too big for my taste (comparable to 1280x720). Whenever I switch back and forth between desktop mode and Metro UI I get to see a huge difference between size.

@ forecemac

There is no BIOS option to alter fan speed. You can only change power plans (low power, long battery and normal mode) but I tried this already and it doesn't seem to have an affect on the fan.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
  6. ykvishal

ykvishal Scribbler - Standard Member

I have a Dell PowerEdgeT620 for my computation purpose
    its some details are

1) Processor: Intel® Xeon® E5-2650 2.00GHz, 20M Cache, 8.0GT/s QPI, Turbo, 8C, 95W

2) RAM: 192GB DDR3

I have a mobile workstation (Lenovo W530) and its detial are

1) Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-3610QM CPU @ 2.30GHz

2) RAM: 32GB RAM

I utilize these machine to their full capacity ie
    1) Either I run an OpenMP program
    2) Or I run a MPI program

My programs need around 30GB and 170GB memory respectively to run without any problem ie to avoid using SWAP space.

I hear sound of fan (not weird fan noise) only when they are running for days or surrounding temperature is hot. Otherwise both of these machine are so calm during night. I kept both of them in my bedroom. They don't disturb my sleep.

So I am certain that I can handle normal level noise issue.

However Fujitsu T902 makes some weird cyclic fan noise and some click sound.. This happens the moment I login in windows. I have windows on my other two machines but I work through Ubuntu 12.04 where I don't efficient power management like windows. So just to confirm the sound noise, I used Ubuntu live USB to see the fan noise and it was same. So I am pretty sure that it is related to either bios or hardware. And it has nothing to with my sound sensitivity.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
  7. LROBBINS

LROBBINS Scribbler - Standard Member

For those living in Europe and having trouble with a German reseller:

I would like to remind everyone of the EU-wide "Legal guarantee of conformity" (translation from Italian, I don't know what the English term is). This provides that any item purchased by a private (not business) end user is guaranteed to function as advertised for a period of TWO YEARS and that it is the seller (not the manufacturer) who is responsible for making good: by refunding the purchase price (without added fees for shipping and such like), repairing, replacing, or by offering a mutually acceptable discount if the item is still usable despite the defect. The terms of the manufacturers warranty are irrelevant to this. If, for example, the manufacturer requires that it be brought or sent to their tech center, it is the dealer, not you, who is legally required to do this and at his/her expense (even if they try to tell you otherwise).

If you have trouble getting compliance with this legal guarantee, I suggest contacting a consumer organization in your country. Here, putting CC: AltroConsumo at the bottom of a letter seems to re-awaken knowledge of the law in some recalcitrant dealers. An organization such as this one can advise you how to assert your rights, or can even intervene on your behalf. Each country passes laws to apply the European directive, but those laws (supposedly) can offer better protection, never lesser.

Ciao,
    Lenny

Tams, stoneseeker and ykvishal like this.
  8. ile

ile Scribbler - Standard Member

Well, for the Moment: we have two opinions: one calls it fairly silent, one incredibly loud. Maybe, your machine has a defect, SF6. The Fan might be broken according to your explanations, maybe.

9. JoKeRoNe

JoKeRoNe Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah, we could really use a comparison video from demalion. I guess this would help to see if something is wrong with SF6s machine.

10. Simon25

Simon25 Pen Pal - Newbie

The noise in the video seems to be similar to my t904 (also i7-4600).

I'm still uploading a video with the fan noise. About 10s after the start of Cinenbech R15 CPU benchmark the fan noise is slowly increasing.

One Note:
    passive cooling while writing/reading but noisy while fast scrolling or changing the zoom factor.