"Official" T904 Thread

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by SF6, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Unlogic

Unlogic Scribbler - Standard Member

My findings so far are that fan seems to run a bit less frequently and when it does it runs at a slower RPM.

ile likes this.
  2. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Ok, that explains it then =)

Do you notice any performance improvement by not letting the CPU frequency auto adjust?

3. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

Open Photoshop or ArtRage and select the smear or watercolor tool. With CPU frequency scaling, you get angular choppy lines, but with the CPU freq set at 100% you get smooth lines as long as you don't go too fast.

balanced-vs-power-saver.jpg

4. Mesosphere

I don't have either program (not an artist), but that does make sense to me. I imagine in that use case CPU demand goes from 0 to 100% very quickly. In theory the frequency is supposed to adjust very quickly to load on its own, but if it was going to fail to do that adequately this sounds like exactly the type of situation where it would.

For me, performance demands come where I run an FFT or some other operation on a large array of numbers (I do this very rarely on my local machine these days though), or a open a new program (etc.). In that case, the difference between auto scaling and locked at 100% is not noticeable. It takes seconds, minutes, hours for the operation to complete at which time all but the few ms it takes to scale up to the maximum multiplier are spent at max frequency, so the impact isn't noticeable.

But really for most of what I do (on the local machine), I don't even notice when I lock the clock down at its lowest frequency (800Mhz) at all times.

5. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

Turns out there's more to the power profiles than their advanced settings. Even with identical advanced settings, the different power profiles behave differently. Balanced scales the frequency immediately, but Power Saver doesn't. The fan is mostly turned off with Balanced so I might use Balanced instead of High Performance and get the best of both worlds.

ile likes this.
  6. ile

ile Scribbler - Standard Member

Ok guys, you convinced me. I just bought it. :)

Thanks for your feedback!

[Sent from my HTC One]

Mesosphere likes this.
  7. Mesosphere

Nice find. I wonder where that setting is hidden (and what other nobs might be hidden). It should save a lot of power I'd think.

8. Precurve

Precurve Scribbler - Standard Member

I mentioned a few days ago I've order my rig and expect a new t904 to be delivered after 5/16.

But, for those who are on-the-fence and need a reason to delay, this might be good rationalization:
    Possible 13" surface pro announcement on 5/20. We've heard this sort of rumor before, and there's a some chance its just wishful thinking and speculation. On the other hand...

Thurrott: Bigger Surface Pro to be announced May 20 — Surface Pro Artist

dk0r likes this.
  9. dk0r

dk0r (x+7)² ≠ (x²+49)

I was about to pull the trigger on a (in my opinion, overpriced) T904 --thanks for posting this

Mesosphere, when and from who did you purchase your T904?
    Any other details like partial serial# or date of manufacture would be helpful.

Last edited: May 9, 2014
  10. Mesosphere

I got it from Newegg on April 10th. The manufacturing date is March from Sunnyvale, CA; however, it seems the reason ATIVQ's tablet was hotter was because his power settings were preventing the CPU from lowering its clock.