"Official" T904 Thread

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by SF6, Mar 12, 2014.

1. ile

ile Scribbler - Standard Member

Ok, I tried it again with several things. Unfortunately, I now have to admit: the Fan noise is just unacceptable!

The only possible solutions would be that Fuji finally releases this Damn Firmware update. Or I reduce the clock to 1.8 GHz or similarly clocks.

Meso, at which clocks do you use it? What programs are you using? And do you still think that's it is nearly inaudible most of the time in your settings?

[Sent from my HTC One]

2. hacky

hacky Pen Pal - Newbie

Although I am not Meso, I try to answer for my setup. It is most of the time almost inaudible. But I saw, that even if the CPU clock stays slow (let's say below 1 GHz), that there may be background processes that keep 5 - 10% continous load causing the fan to get audible.

One of these sources of disquietness may be security suites like those McAfee trial installations that come preinstalled.

In another case, I had a virtual machine running in a VMWare player that caused continous load although inside the VM nothing seemed to happen. The guest inside the VM was a Win 7 installation that has been converted from a previously physical installation ("P2V"). I saw that there were still some Intel tools designed to optimize disk storage performance running, causing permanent load. These tools did not make sense anymore after virtualization and after deinstalling them from the VM, the system got completely quit again.

So I guess, there is something in your software / drivers installation and configuration that causes permanent load. Even if only a few percent, that may be enough (when permanently burdening the CPU) to bring the fan up. It will make not difference when you limit the maximum CPU speed and I would not be too optimistic that a firmware update would solve your problem in such a situation. And it also will eat you battery significantly faster.

So the goal must be an installation where the CPU is most of the time at "0%" when you do not actively use the PC.

Last edited: May 9, 2014
    ile likes this.
  3. dk0r

dk0r (x+7)² ≠ (x²+49)

I'm holding off the T904 due to the noise complaints. Are you on bios 1.08 which was released on 30 April (via here)? The bios' change notes mention a fan related updated.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
    ile likes this.
  4. ile

It's the device of a friend, I haven't checked the BIOS version. That would be a good idea!

Thanks to hacky as well, I will check that

[Sent from my HTC One]

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  5. in4mer

in4mer Scribbler - Standard Member

Yea it appears the fan settings have been "attended" to. Will upgrade now.

BIOS Version History:

Current BIOS V. 1.08:

Solved problems:

- Key stroke may not work correctly on MEBx screen when entering MEBx menu with CTRL-P. Problem does not happen if you select "Intel(R) ME Setup" on boot menu.
    - Problem concerning Clearsure-3G/LTE feature.
    - System may hang up at Windows boot when keyboard/mouse with palm vein sensor is connected.
    - After system resumes from S4, Indicator Utility(for Windows 7) displays "Enable" when Fn + F4 is pressed.
    - Bug fixes for Samsung PM841/851.
    - The system ignores the Boot Order and boots from Windows Boot Manager just after the user executes “Load setup defaults” in SETUP.
    - The HDD Password input screen looks abnormal for a few seconds when the system boots from Windows 8 hybrid shut down or S4 state.
    - The system doesn't wake up from S3 state by USB keyboard or mouse, if the system has resumed from S4-iFFS state.

Known errors, problems and restrictions:

- None

Additional information:

- BIOS 1.05, 1.06, 1.07 have been skipped.
    - Update PXE module (Legacy:v1.5.49)
    - Upgraded SystemLock 3 feature.
    - Changed Service version 2.02 to 2.03.
    - Added "Revocation feature".
    - Added Sharp Full HD LCD back light table.
    - Revise the FAN settings

dk0r and ile like this.
  6. in4mer

Horray! Fan noise appears to be eliminated!

7. hacky

hacky Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks. Just applied the BIOS update and my T904 "survived" it.:thumbsup:
    Although not really a problem for me, I will keep an eye (and ear) on fan behaviour the next days.

ile likes this.
  8. in4mer

Now, when will fujitsu soup-up our speakers to "normal" volume?

9. ile

Wow, really??!! Sounds too good to be true... :D

[Sent from my HTC One]

10. hacky

hacky Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, not eliminated but significantly better controlled now.

stoneseeker and ile like this.