"Official" T904 Thread

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by SF6, Mar 12, 2014.

1. in4mer

in4mer Scribbler - Standard Member

You don't need the keys. They are embedded in the motherboard. Since your machine came with windows 7, then it MIGHT ask you for windows 8.1 keys during installation. Then you will need to find the default installation keys to install windows.

Were you able to get into recovery and utility? Maybe the discs aren't bootable? I didn't get them so I don't know how to work them.

Re: Windows 8.1 clean install with Windows 8 OEM k... - HP Enterprise Business Community This is the guide I wrote for the HP elitebook revolve. Same steps just a few changes. (Maybe I'll make some new steps for it.)

If you want to install windows 8.1 on GPT which is the factory default, then you need to download rufus to create a bootable usb using GPT. You also need to download an ISO for windows 8.1. There are a few websites that show you how to download it but the way I did it was to download it from windows using a win 8 CD key.

I would recommend that you save your product key by identifying it using this program. Belarc Advisor - Free Personal PC Audit, for software, hardware and security configuration information on your computer. Software license management, IT asset management, cyber security audits, and more.

I always recommend people to use a clean install so that you can basically recover the program with all apps and settings in tact. I hate having to install all the programs again and again so having a custom image allows you to skip those steps. I use easeus to do. There's a free version that works just fine. Differentiantial backup allows you to make small back ups from the last time you made a backup so it doesn't take up so much space.

If what I rambled wasn't clear, please ask away.

2. in4mer

Sorry, here are the ones I meant to look at.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpJmRhopy9I
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIx5NuVXfFU

I don't trust the person who posted on the forum because I have first hand experience with the G1 and I know how bad it is. Those writing samples are from my machine. The videos clearly show the writing from far away but if you look closely, the letters look like matchlike shapes. In the second video, look at the G. The writing looks like it's possessed. Nothing is comparable to wacom at the moment. Wacom is Mercedes as Atmel is to Kia.

3. forcemac

forcemac Pen Pal - Newbie

Forget all that...this is what you want.
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/215201435/dart-the-worlds-smallest-laptop-adapter

4. forcemac

forcemac Pen Pal - Newbie

So for the T904 to recognize my USB 3.0 CD drive, I had to set the following in the BIOS....

Under Advanced Tab

USB Features->
    Legacy USB Support Enabled
    SCSI Subclass->Disabled (although it needs to be enabled for USB hard disks if you want to clone)
    XHCI->Compatible

then,

Internal Device Configutations-> USB 3.0
    set to Disable (forces USB 2.0)

Alter Boot configuration as desired,or use F12.

What gets me is I can't get back to a clean WIn 7.1 from the recovery disks

I installed Win 8.1 from the included disks that came with the comptuer straight to a new Samsung SSD (pulled the hybrid 500gb out). After deciding Win 8.1 tablet features for buisness applications were worse in Win 8.1 I wanted to go back to Win 7.

For the life of me i worked on this until I tried just about every permutation:
    1) Clone programs. They could not clone the Win 7.1 hyrbrid hard drive I pulled out. I tried booting the fujitsu up with Acronis Disk Director 11, and Acronis Disk Director 14....both of which would not recognize a USB plugged in hard drive. I booted from my USB 3.0 Bluray drive, but the applications failed to initialize 3 different USB 2.0/3.0 hard drives on the other USB port. I tried my Seagate Satellite 500Gb USB 3.0, I tried a USB3.0 /SATA adapter on the hyrbid drive, and I tried a USB 2.0 enclosure with the hybrid installed to that. The bios would see them, but the dumb cloning programs would not. I tried reversing the USB ports between the bootable bluray drive and these devices.
    2) I re-installed the hybrid drive with Win 7.1 on it, which some how got a little messed up in my trying to clone it, and I had to "Repair" the C: drive from recover utility..no disks at this point. That worked....once it boot back into Win 7.1 I then made new Win 7.1 disks thinking those were safe to use. I removed the hybrid, and tried the disks on a clean install back to the Samsung SSD that previously had Win 8.1. It would fail at 99% on the last part of the recovery step and would not boot.
    3) I called Fujitsu, they sent me a new hard drive with Win 7.1 on it. Installed that into the laptop... Made new win 7.1 recovery disks...put the samsung back in....this time recovery utility doesn't even recognize the two recovery disks after the boot disks.
    4) Getting pretty frustrated now, reinstalled the new hyrbrid drive with Win 7.1, I used the Samsung Cloning utility (which is supposed to be flawless) to clone over to the samsung ssd now plugged in using the USB3->SATA dongle cable. One caveat, this program only works when the source drive is a C:, you can't choose the "Source" drive and the destination is locked to the recognition of Samsung SSD. I thought I would be smart and reduce the number of times I had to open up the back of this laptop. I tried to clone on my desktop computer (which also has a samsung SSD for my windows install), it would not clone D:->F: YGBSM! Really?! I give up trying to use a second computer to do the cloning.
    5) Anyhow, with the new hybrid installed in the laptop, i use the samsung clone utility, and clone to the Samsung SSD from inside of WIn 7.1 (remember, no boot disks), It completes, I pull the hybrid drive out, and put the newly cloned Samsung Drive in. It fails to boot. Something with the cloning it does not like.
    6) I get smart, I take an extra Win 7 64bit retail disk I have laying around, and boot from that...I "repair" the cloned Win 7 install....and presto, it boots. I have finally done it. However, I dont' trust this cloned drive. I was not satisfiied until I could recover using the supposedly cloned secret partiion that should now be residing on the Samsung SSD. It does not work. The utility says there is no secret partition image and to use the disk instead. I try the disks...again, the two system disks fail to recognize (i.e. I can boot into the utility using the bootable media, but at that point I am stuck).

That's where I am at today. I have win 7 on my SSD in pretty much a stock clone, but aside that I can't use the recovery partition as it does not work. I am temped to give up, and use my extra Win7 license from retail Win 7 disk, nuke the whole drive and start over as if I was building a new desktop (I have no idea how to get my Fujisu Key to use on a reinstall from the retail Win 7 disk).

That said, the WIn 8.1 experience using the recovery to build a factor image on a completely new drive was a breeze. I know those disks worked right away.

Now all that said, you post about having to follow a recovery checklist and setting those bios settings....those might have helped me...I didn't know there was a "recovery" guide....I was just going off my inner geek knowledge...which I have never had the experience of messing with a TPM type of device...perhaps some of the settings would have solved some of these weird issues....

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  5. ykvishal

ykvishal Scribbler - Standard Member

As for as I know, T904 does not have hot swappable batteries. You can swap battery but then you may to shut down the notebook and then change it.

6. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

T902 is hot-swap-able. So is the X230t. I haven't heard of any Haswell gen convertibles with HS except the T734.

7. in4mer

I looked at the compatibility. Fujitsu isn't even listed.

Dart is simply REDUCING the size of the ac adapter.

8. ykvishal

ykvishal Scribbler - Standard Member

9. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Umm, if you don't use the cord I linked, you have to carry the much larger/heavier cord along with you.

There is no modular battery for the T904... or at least no modular bay to put it in.

I can always buy accessories separately.

No, I don't want a docking port. I will probably dock it to a larger screen a couple times a year at most when I'm traveling and a monitor is available to me. I can connected it to a screen using the HDMI port in those rare cases. I have desktops attached to all the monitors I used regularly. I generally don't want wires attached to the tablet. That makes it hard to use it in tablet mode =) I experimented with docking years ago (had one for my Toshiba), but I found just attaching a desktop to the monitors to be the better approach in my use.

You will definitely want an extra pen. The one included in the silo is for convenient access only. The Fujitsu 2 button pen you can get off amazon for ~$30 is a good one. The Surface Pro pen is another option widely available. I'd pick up a HDMI to VGA active adapter to connect to projectors/old monitors on the go.

10. gakuhaitsu

gakuhaitsu Pen Pal - Newbie

Anyone else having unexpectedly low battery life? I have the screen set to medium brightness, cpu set to low performance, bluetooth turned off, and am getting an average of 3 1/2 hours just surfing the net (with wifi) and playing about 15 minutes worth of low res youtube video and not much else is running in the background.

As a side note on my fan noise: it is either barely audible in a relatively silent environment (though a bit high pitched for my liking) or fairly loud when putting more work on the cpu (not unbearably so like the jet engines some people have been mentioning but still annoying to the user and loud enough my classmates won't enjoy it in lectures)

Sent from my SGH-T889V using Tapatalk