"Official" T904 Thread

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by SF6, Mar 12, 2014.

1. jbomb

jbomb Scribbler - Standard Member

So what is it with the fan noise. I mean do other computers have this issue?

2. SF6

SF6 Scribbler - Standard Member

I must say that I am very sensitive when it comes to fan noise. Some of my friends wouldn't even think complaining about it because they just don't care.
    That said, I don't think fan quality varies that much among Fujitsu. It's just that some people care a lot more about fan noise than others do.

Right now I'm lying in my bed typing this post and the fan stays off completely. So I think it's better not to draw conclusions too oearly. I will test the device thorougly over the next couple of days and report on fan behavior. Maybe this video I took was just the very worst case scenario? I sure hope so because it wasn't just audible. It was easily audible in my entire mid size living room.

The good thing about the T904 is however that the fan doesn't do the on/off thing every 5 seconds like the T902. At least it's not as noticeable so there's still hope ;-)

EDIT

Lol, after I finished typing this post the fan reved up again. Seriously it sounds like a jet engine taking off. It only happened because search index decided to do something. I still have the feeling the fan reacts on CPU FREQUENCY rather than temperatures because the air that comes out of the machine is pretty cold!

I'm really afraid of using OneNote now. Because OneNote utilizes turbo quite a bit and I couldn't live with that fan sound during note taking :(

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  3. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Some computers are much worse than others are describing here (go read about the Sony Vaio Flip 13, 14 15 fan noise issues) but I think a lot of it comes down to personal sensitivity, barring out loose bearings or the like.

I received a .mp3 from ykvishal to my e-mail where he recorded the T902 fan noise he has been experiencing, and although it's difficult to know how loud it is relative to the amount of volume ( I can make it as loud as I want it to be by simply turning up the volume) the fluctuation and tone of the fan sounds identical to mine. I don't get any weird clicking or whine, but my fan revs up when under load and that keeps my T902 cool, which I would much rather have than a throttled hot system. In fact, I would trade a louder fan for more performance any day if it was possible.

I don't want to trivialize others concerns, obviously the T904 or T902 may have a louder fan than some are used to. But in my experience the T902 has never been loud enough to warrant attention from friends (like my wife's old macbook would: "wow, is that thing preparing to take off or something?") or enough to ever make me uncomfortable. I never hear it enough to even think about it. It's LOADS quieter than my old desktop or Toshiba laptop, so to me it's only an improvement. I often work to music or in coffeeshops, and so maybe I wouldn't hear it much most of the time anyway.

I guess all I'm saying is: experiences may vary. I'm surprised a little that to so many its so easily a game changer. Perhaps I have just traditionally used a lot of loud systems... I don't own an ipad or small silent tablet so I may have a skewed perspective on the matter.

4. stoneseeker

Have you tried setting cooling to passive?
    In theory that tells the fan to only turn on when temps are getting past a certain threshold, whereas "active" initiates when more demand is placed on the system anticipating higher temps under load.

5. SF6

SF6 Scribbler - Standard Member

Yea passiv helps...but you know what passiv does, too? Keep the CPU at 800MHz (passiv is the only apparent difference between the balanced power plan and the Fujitsu power plan, CPU is able to run at 100% with AC and battery. But it still stays 800MHz. Not all the time, but with the balanced power plan it gives it so much more freedom to clock up and down when needed).

But I didn't pay €2000 for a machine with an i7 that needs to run at 800MHz to stay silent. My old T520 with an i7 2670M quad core managed to stay silent during normal tasks as well and I expect at least similar results from this high end machine!

Especially since you can really feel that drop in power. Even opening the task manager takes 2s when using Fujitsu power plan (with passiv cooling). Some windows even sutter because 800MHz simply isn't enough (heck, I bet even the new Atoms are faster than the Haswell @ 800MHz).

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  6. stoneseeker

weird, you should be able to set the cooling to passive in a custom power plan, while leaving the CPU performance to 100%...

try making a new power plan based on the "balanced" or "high performance" plan and only change cooling to passive. It should help keep the fan down during less intense tasks at the very least. It will still ramp up when the system loads the CPU for too long though.

I agree, regulating or throttling a powerful expensive system is not an option IMO.

7. forcemac

forcemac Pen Pal - Newbie

Why not ditch the fujisu power driver/application? I mean what if i were to do a clean install of win 8.1 with no bloatware...me thinks the software app may be intervening when it does not need to. Let the bios fan settings do their job without a software monitoring program in the OS kicking in?

8. YakaDaka

YakaDaka Pen Pal - Newbie

Yea try doing a clean install to see if the fan issue has to do with the software Fujitsu put on there. If it's just a software issue and it goes away on an install then I will buy this right away. If not, then I am stuck with TPY with tons of build issues which I will unfortunately have to buy or just get an SP2.

9. demalion

demalion Pen Pal - Newbie

119/16" W, 61/2" H (29.4 cm W, 16.5 cm H)

10. ykvishal

ykvishal Scribbler - Standard Member

In my case ie T902, I checked with Ubuntu 12.04 OS which was installed on live USB. So the noise issue was same irrespective of OS. So I feel that this may be related to hardware not software.