"Official" T904 Thread

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by SF6, Mar 12, 2014.

1. in4mer

in4mer Scribbler - Standard Member

HP elitebook updated the bios to fix the fan issue. Fujitsu can do it.

"- Adjusts the speed of the computer cooling fan to support the updated Thermal Table and reduce fan noise while computer is in use. "

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/si...x.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken

2. SF6

SF6 Scribbler - Standard Member

I just got my new Surface 2 Pro with i5 4300U. I updated the first post with two videos to compare fan noise to T904.

Conclusion:

Surface 2 Pro runs around 5-10°C hotter, but stays virtually silent (what I mean by that: I cannot hear it at all!) until it's been stressed a lot. And even at max load the fan is still quieter than T904 at idle/low load.

Sorry to say Fujitsu: You failed big time. Not only that, SP2 performs a bit better (248 to 220 points in Cinebench R15) than T904 with i7 4600U. Turbo stays at 2,6 GHz during the entire test run.

I've had the same problem with T902 and now with T904. And since they never issued a new BIOS version to address the fan noise so I highly doubt they will fix it with T904 ("works as designed").

Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  3. JoKeRoNe

JoKeRoNe Pen Pal - Newbie

I got my machine today and there is something like a grain of sand and a fuzz behind the glass :/

4. SF6

On the left side a stripe from top to bottom? I had that, too!

5. orbitosan

orbitosan Pen Pal - Newbie

Lucky guy, my order was mess up a bit. going to have to wait, but good to know. Until Fujitsu clear up these issues i'm reading and also the over priced custom, i'll make due with SP2.

6. SF6

Lucky me? I got the totally overpriced 512GB model because the 256GB wasn't available. Today I received the SP2 and now the 256GB model is available again lol but no way I'm going to send it back again. I've had too many notebooks the last 6 weeks :D

7. JoKeRoNe

JoKeRoNe Pen Pal - Newbie

Grain on the right, fuzz on the left. but both are very small...yet they are there and i think this is absolutley unacceptable...dirt behind the glass always visible for 2000€...no way.

And im in the fan noise club now, too!! ^^

I think it starts at about 28° that you can hear this really anoying high tone of the fan. It seems everybody is deaf who works at fujitsu, or they test the devices under a highway bridge or something, but this is way to loud.
    It can be nice and quiet, but only when you look at it -.-
    A HD movie wouldn't be watchable unless you bump up the speakers volume to its max because of the loudness.
    Im already pretty sure that i will return it next week, but i certanly hope there will be a fix. otherwise this is a no go device.

Here is a picture of the grain.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
    SF6 likes this.
  8. ykvishal

ykvishal Scribbler - Standard Member

This links suggests that SP2 can get hot... Microsoft Surface Pro 2 suffering from overheating problems - News - Trusted Reviews

did you notice anything like that with either T904 or SP2?

9. demalion

demalion Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't think that's true when comparing to my 4300U T904, since idle and low load on my machine could be very quiet, and even sometimes truly silent. Actually, I could hear the fan in your recording as quite audible and louder than I'd expected for you to be saying you could barely hear it approaching the 3 min mark, though the sound characteristics of it seem much more of a "hush" sort of sound (which seems like the better sound characteristic). However, I can't help thinking that if you think the sounds in my video up to what I call 'louder quiet' are loud, you are not accounting for the hiss inherent to my phone's recording (which apparently is much noisier than yours) or simply didn't believe me that I was actually recording silence when I said I was at the beginning.

What does appear to be the case is that the max load sound for the S2P seemed to only ever go as high as what I called "louder quiet", or, if any louder (after all, I recorded much closer than 30 cm), without the same degree of higher pitched sound characteristics...which I think is quite enough to distinguish it as clearly better, anyways, especially with the relative performance. I have to agree that the sound levels beyond 'louder quiet' are lacking in comparison to the S2P and anything that meets its standards of fan noise engineering, but I would reserve the term "big failure" for when you include its performance levels with that, not aside from them.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  10. Deanwvu

Deanwvu Pen Pal - Newbie

I asked this question earlier. but never got a response, so I'll try again.

Anyone know a good piece of software that can track my power usage over time?? I want to use it to find that sweet spot of decent CPU performance and battery life.