"Official" T904 Thread

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by SF6, Mar 12, 2014.

1. SF6

SF6 Scribbler - Standard Member

I will keep updating my first post, so keep watching it.

Fan noise is a real issue for me.
    Demalio, what BIOS version is installed on your machine? Did you use balanced power plan or Fujitsu power plan?

2. ykvishal

ykvishal Scribbler - Standard Member

I watch the video... I also watched you YOGA video.. it appears that YOGA is quiter than T904. This may be due to the Benchmark softwares you are running.. I am little confuse...

3. SF6

SF6 Scribbler - Standard Member

I had the Yoga, too. And Yoga is completely silent compared to this lol

4. ykvishal

ykvishal Scribbler - Standard Member

Really !!!! Thats interesting!!

5. ile

ile Scribbler - Standard Member

I don't unterstand Fuji. Their U904 is said to be very quiet, this one is either quiet or not. :(

Maybe, you could try out balanced Power with disabled turbo by setting CPU max power to 96% in the advanced settings and see how that performs acoustically.

My Series 9 is also getting loud with turbo, but without turbo it's very quiet. (And I am very crazy with regard to the definition of quiet)

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  6. demalion

demalion Pen Pal - Newbie

I have the same 1.04 BIOS.

However, I have a 4300U, not a 4600U.

I don't have a "Fujitsu" power plan...you seem to have received your machine with Win 8? I have a barebones Win 7, and it is set to "Powersaver" (I'm testing plugged in and the settings are the same as for "Balanced" as far as processor speed and cooling, 100% and Active). It does cycle to 2.5 Ghz, and up to about 53 degrees. However, I'm not running Cinebench, and other than the WEI and some long running installation of updates the system hasn't really been stressed. So I ran SiSoft Sandra for a bit to try and get a worst case.

It's sort of tough to determine the true volume of the sound in your video without clear reference, so I'm basing this on trying to guess how loud the bumping around as you moved the camera was. So, after several seconds of running SiSoft Sandra's "Processor Arithmetic" benchmark (100% CPU utilization), the amount of air being pushed does increase a lot, and I guess it might approach it, though none of the other sounds I described before were nearly as loud as this (other than the 1 or 2 second loud after boot thing, which actually I don't think has happened again on subsequent reboots, oddly, and I think was louder). Yours sounds a bit louder than what I heard at 100% CPU utilization, but I'm not sure whether that is just an artifact of the microphone sensitivity.

My testing of my own real usage will take place after Win 8.1 update and HD replacement when my SSD arrives to see whether I'm going to be dealing with the WEI mini-benchmark or Sisoft Sandra 100% loading noise levels during "non-light" usage. I'd expect the WEI based on past experience.

7. forcemac

forcemac Pen Pal - Newbie

Awesome input guys thanks for sharing. Couple of questions:

1. Did both come with a Smartcard reader standard?
    2. Either of you feeling up to the task of taking a photo of with the back cover off? Id like to see what is user upgradable under the hood? (hard drive, etc)

8. demalion

demalion Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, on mine there is the Smartcard reader slot for it on the lower left, under the SD card slot. I forgot to check and mention it because I actually wasn't expecting it and don't have a pressing use for it, though something did pique my interest about it last year, though what it was escapes me at the moment. My understanding is that the slot wouldn't be there if it wasn't functional, and I did shine my flashlight in to make sure it wasn't obviously a dummy slot: all I can say is that I see some sort of engagement thing in the top that looks in the right spot to be over the metal I saw in a smartcard picture.

I might open it up tomorrow for the HD transfer, and if I do I will try to post a picture if there hasn't been one yet.

EDIT: BTW, a reminder that I got the preconfigured 8 GB system with a somewhat reduced price compared to customizing.

9. coyote75

coyote75 Pen Pal - Newbie

Great input guys
    i just want to add another question
    what are the dimensions of the screen without the frame meaning the width and lenth

10. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

I will say for the record, that after watching SF's fan noise video for the T904, that it sounds LOUDER than my T902 when I am running intense software like large After Effects files. The fan revs up and I can hear it, but only in a very quiet room. With any ambient noise it's not loud enough to hear even under load.

Considering others reports of the T902 making lots of noise, either there are some SUPER sensitive ears in the forums, or Fujitsu is REALLY inconsistent with the fan hardware and/or thermal QA.

So it wouldn't surprise me if one of you has a louder than normal T904 and another had a quieter than normal T904.

What really concerns me is if Fujitsu built a crippling power plan into the BIOS to restrict turbo being engaged too long. Any tests to see how long the CPU stays in turbo? Any 3D testing yet?
    3Dmark is a great one!