"Official" T904 Thread

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by SF6, Mar 12, 2014.

1. SF6

SF6 Scribbler - Standard Member

Well, that's exactly why I'm so disappointed by Fujitsu. Look at the MacBook Air. Another very thin machine and barely audible, even at full load. Or the Microsoft Surface 2 Pro. Stays at very high turbo levels and keeps very quiet all the time.

And I have always cirticized Apple for their overpriced products. And now, what did I buy? A noisy 2000€ machine that's even more expensive than any MacBook Air out there. The digitizer and touch + beautiful screen and the LAN port is simply not enough for me to make this a good buy.

EDIT: I updated my first post.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
  2. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Hey Orbitosan, welcome to the forums! Nice to see another Eastern canuck. Actually there are at least 2 others from Nova Scotia on here. Thatcomicsguy is a legendary poster here also residing in Nova Scotia. He's a pretty famous comic artist to boot (his Thieves and Kings comics were internationally praised and sold well).

So, it sounds like you think I have a shiny new T904, but I don't. I'm rocking the more powerful and bulkier older brother, last gen T902.
    I use it for demanding FX animation (After Effects), 2D Flash animation (huge files), photoshop digital painting, occasional Zbrush or Sculptris, and animate full time with it for TV childrens production with Cartoon Conrad, Copernicus and Clerisy (Halifax area broadcast and animation companies)
    So after a year of that kind of animation use, I can tell you the T902 is excellent for the purpose. In fact it may be the only convertible tabletPC that would truly work for my purposes at this screen size. It has some flaws in the first batch, but the new batch of T902s (some upgrades) has worked out the major flaws of the originals, mainly a digitizer firmware glitch that annoyed many artists.

I'm not sure I would recommend the T904 for your use-case. It has a nice high res screen and is really light, but its battery life won't be any better than the T902 with 2 batteries. (yep, 2 batteries can go in at once, but not possible in the T904)

The major things you need for any kind of Maya and heavy photoshop are: high dual channel max ram, more CPU power and as much GPU muscle as you can scrap from the integrated GPU.
    Since the T902 has full voltage laptop parts, the CPU is much more powerful and able to sustain 3.6 ghz for long periods of time, TDP is 35watts, user upgradeable - is intended and will not void warranty (easy access like a normal notebook)- , and although it's not the best device for 3D, I have sculpted in 3D without a problem. Maya will struggle on all Wacom tabletPC's if you try to do anything to crazy, perhaps the least on the X230t (it balances the power to the iGPU better than the T902 which favors CPU turbo over the GPU clock) but don't expect miracles from integrated graphics.

The problem with the T904 is still isn't getting close to performing as fast or consistent as the X230t or T902, however it will be lighter, thinner and more mobile with a higher screen res (much higher).

If you want more stability and performance in a machine better suited for demanding animation tasks stick with a cheaper T902 or much cheaper X230t.

I'm sure the T904 would be ok for your purpses (better than most tabletPCs still) , but you'd be paying more for less (in your case at least) when you could pay less for an older more powerful model and supe it up yourself with specs closer to mine (in my sig)

your other questions could be answered pretty easily with more lurking, but I'll help out. You can order a better pen that is compatible with Wacom tabletPC digitizers, and so you can have your 2 pen buttons on your pen on any wacom device. Radial wacom menu is Wacom cintiq line only. Volume buttons usually are programmable using a simple registry hack, you would just have to get some help from another member here on that one.
    There was a poster earlier who thoroughly documented with pictures swapping out and installing the SSDdrive into the T904 so that should answer your questions about it, it obviously is harder than the T902 but at least it's do-able.

Hope that makes sense and helps with the decision. I never found any coupons for Fujitsu canada. I just bit the bullet and ordered custom direct and wrote a bunch of it off at tax time for my work.
    If your really torn, send me a PM and if your in the Halifax/Dartmouth area we can meet up for coffee somewhere and you can take my T902 for a test drive if it helps.

3. orbitosan

orbitosan Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the info stoneseeker. I checked the price of the T902 and it's almost the same - its the same price... Thinking of getting the Wacom companion, the only down side is its using last gen processor and i'm unsure if the battery last long as the T904, which is said to be 12 hours. I'm hoping 6-8 hours that would be pretty good using it at full power. Wacom companion has a very nice ssd space, 256-500 gig :D ,If only they had customization. its now the wacom companion, T904 or wait... the last one is a killer. I'm at DHX media halifax

4. ile

ile Scribbler - Standard Member

5. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

no probs. You could toss a 500gig SSD in the T904 or T902 easy, and the Wacom Companion is also ULV like the T904 so it's still no where near as powerful as the T902. The Companion does look nice for it's superior digitizer tech and hardware shortcuts, but I doubt you could effectively run Maya on it. It should be great for Zbrush and photoshop though.

6. SF6

Don't get the T902. It's too thick and too heavy.

I just ordered a Surface 2 Pro 512GB Model for 1601€. I will comment on that device, too in comparison to the T904. I already miss the 13,3" screen, but noise is just more important to me. At least it's got 1080p and mDP.

(But damn, that 512GB version is expensive... the only one available though right now. Seems like noone wants it)

7. YakaDaka

YakaDaka Pen Pal - Newbie

Wait, what didn't you like about the TPY? There is in my opinion an equally good chance of getting a panel in which doesn't display retention for some time. I also have noticed that most of the complaints over on the Lenovo forum are coming from Europe and Asia with a smaller amount from the USA for some reason. Are there more people who buy Lenovo over there or is there a difference in hardware?

I am so tired of waiting for something. I think that I will just order the TPY tonight and be done with it. If it shows even a hint of slightly above normal retention, then I will, like you, just end up getting an SP2 again. I guess we will all be pleased in November when SP3 is released since I would assume a larger screen version is going to be an option.

8. SF6

Hardware is the same in the US of course. I guess, ppl are just more picky in Europe. Americans just don't complain too much.

Don't get me wrong, I think Yoga is a great machine. For now I think it's better than the T904 (for the price you pay). I've had the Yoga for quite a while. But I can't get it again so I'm going to try the SP2 first and if that doesn't work I'll get the Yoga again.

Yoga is great but this time I want to get a machine without a compromise. That means no keyboard. And battery life and fan noise seems to be better with SP2 as well.

9. orbitosan

Seems like the surface pro 2 got my attention, i'm going to check it out, if it got all the spec... does any one know the specs if it has a wacom pen, how good is the pressure, battery life so on?

I might just get this to calm the urge for a year, if a better tablet comes out give my wife a ''gift'' LOL, and myself a nice tablet.

10. orbitosan

I think i will look into the surface pro 2 only down side it seems 10 inch but meh, has all and almost 58% cheaper. if only it was not sold out...

any battery life on the surface pro2