"Official" T904 Thread

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by SF6, Mar 12, 2014.

1. incentive

incentive Pen Pal - Newbie

I recently bought a used T904 to replace my Acer V5-573G and my Lenovo Helix 2 Tablet. It came preinstalled with Windows 10 and these are my thoughts:

Display:
    Came from the Acer V5-573G which had an extremely good screen. For my purposes the often mentioned bad viewing angles are not that much of a problem since I don't use it much with people sitting next to me. Colors are quite nice, maximum brightness is alright for me (I don't use it outside). The resolution is awesome. So far I love to read PDFs in tablet mode. Touchscreen is very comfortable to use (in comparison the Lenovo Yoga 14 I tested had a much stickier touchscreen which did not work for me).

Digitizer:
    Now that is a surprise for me. This is the first time, where I feel very comfortable writing on glass. I can even write as small as I would on paper. Lag is short, Drawing seems not to be quite as good as with the Asus Vivotab Note 8 I owned a year ago, but that may be something I have to get used to first.

Sound:
    Absolutely abysmal. I knew that it is bad before buying it, but that it is this extremely thin and actually unpleasant to listen to - that I did not expect. Wow, really wow, never thought that such a bad performance is possible. I probably won't watch movies on this thing at all. Although I rarely did that on my Acer, which had actually very nice speakers for a laptop.

Built quality:
    Now this is miles ahead of the Acer. It just feels sturdy. Not sure about the hinge, but it seems like a well built device with a nice and cool aluminum chassis. Nice to use it. It's also very light and that is something I really appreciate.

Noise:
    Frankly, since I've got it, I never actually heard it much. Keeps quiet all the time so far. But to be honest, I didn't really stress it, just surfed quite a bit and read some comics and PDFs.

Performance:
    I did not expect a higher performance that my Acer since I have the model with the i5-4300U Haswell CPU. However, I really notice a difference there, absolutely everything I tried so far worked more smoothely than my Acer, which is astonishing for me. Especially heavy picture magazine PDFs are opened very fast and responsive. Browsing with Chrome is very snappy. I'm really happy here.

Problems:
    So far I think I only noticed some probably software-related problems. Maybe someone has an idea how to solve them.

Touchpad: It's a really nice and large touchpad which feels more precise and more slick than the one on the Acer. However, I miss the kinetic scrolling feature. Does anyone know how to enable it? The Acer had a synaptics touchpad as well and I don't see any option in the driver to enable it (neither on the T904 nor on the Acer), but on the Acer is works really nicely.

Automatic screen orientation: Very often the screen gets stuck in portrait mode and I can't get it to switch back to landscape mode. Is there a fix for this because this is seriously annoying.

All in all, I am very happy for the 700 Euros I paid. Now I have to install a larger SSD and an AC enabled Wifi Card, although I am a little scared to open it up.

Starlight5, kvoram and ATIVQ like this.
  2. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

You reminded me why I love this machine! Reading PDFs in portrait mode is my main use-case too. You forgot to complain about the noisy fan, though. When I read books I open the Mobility Center and put the device in Power Saver mode so the fan stops spinning.

Here are the official T935 disassembly instructions, easy access to the SSD, RAM, and Wi-Fi card. Careful not to break anything.

You mean coasting with two-finger scrolling? It's in Control Panel > Mouse > Device Settings > Settings > MultiFinger Gestures > Two Finger Scrolling > Coasting. Now I'm reminded of what I hate about the Windows user interface.

Try turning auto-rotate off and on again by keeping the Win key pressed and pressing O twice. If that doesn't help, uninstall all the Fujitsu utilities except the System Extension Utility and the Battery Utility (keep all the drivers though).

jkpark17 likes this.
  3. incentive

incentive Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey thank you for your reply! Especially the disassembly instructions are helpful. Anyone tried to remove the LTE card and place an M.2 42mm SSD into it? Should at least fit the slot.

My problem with the coasting persists, simply because I don't have that option in the Synaptics settings.

For auto-rotation, simply Win and O does not fix it. Might have to uninstall or completely reinstall Win 10...

Edit: Ok, regarding the autorotation I found some hints earlier in this thread. Disabling some options in the Fujitsu Display Manager should alleviate the problem, but unfortunately it does not solve my problems...
    Regarding the missing coasting option, I had to completely uninstall the driver and install a new version directly from synaptics. This gives a completely different driver interface where I could enable inertia.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  4. jbomb

jbomb Scribbler - Standard Member

Hey, I have a T904. It runs pretty good. I was thinking of replacing the keyboard since I've rubbed off a great number of keys. Has anyone been able to upgrade the Ram beyond 8gb? If so I figured while I am in there, maybe I should do that.

5. Starlight5

Starlight5 So what if I'm crazy? The best people are.

@jbomb sadly it is impossible to upgrade T904 past 8GB RAM. 16GB RAM module simply won't work.

6. Colourful Zone

Colourful Zone Using T2020 thru DIY e-PCIe I/F, now using T904

@incentive -- It should be not possible to do that, I checked that before, since there is no any other signal go to this slot except USB2.0 bus, it should be used for WWAN Module card only.

@jbomb -- It is the limitation of the CPU. One memory channel can support up to 8GB only. There is no any other memory slot for the second memory channel in T904, it can only support up to 8GB. It cannot support the 16GB module because there is no the extra address line to access the memory.

7. sicksonezer0

sicksonezer0 Pen Pal - Newbie

Just bought a T904 off of ebay, looks like an incredible machine, very excited! A few months ago I bought a T902 off of ebay for $150, absolutely love the pressure sensitivity (1024 levels I believe) and performance is great for what I use it for but its a bit bulky.. which is why I gambled with ebay and grabbed a used t904

I was wondering about the screen.. is it glass? Does anyone know what the pressure sensitivity is,,, haven't been able to find out specs on this.. Any tips on replacement parts as far as the shell or screen?

Thanks!

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  8. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

The screen is hardened glass (trademarked as Dragontrail glass) and it's very resistant to scratching, except for sand and jewellery. I recommend putting a microfiber cloth over the keyboard when shutting the display so grime from the keyboard doesn't scratch the display. I wouldn't bother with a screen protector because they're difficult to put on. The display collects dust under the glass which is a bit of a bummer, but it's rarely visible under normal lighting conditions.

The pressure sensitivity is reportedly 1024 levels, but more important than the levels is the pen support, you can get the excellent UP-911E or the nice Bamboo Feel.

Biggest issue, as far as pen use goes, is the gap between the glass and the LCD, it's pretty huge. If it was as small as the MobileStudio Pro I'd probably stick to the T904 for several more years, but as time goes on I get more and more tempted to get a device without a gap.

The biggest non-pen issues are the miserable speakers and the noisy fan. Everything else is quite good, particularly the aluminum body and glass trackpad. People complain about the plastic around the hinge developing gaps in the seams, but that's probably only an aesthetic issue. The Ethernet port looks flimsy but I haven't had any issues with it yet. The webcam is okay at best but I never use it.

thatcomicsguy and Starlight5 like this.
  9. Unlogic

Unlogic Scribbler - Standard Member

Fujitsu has finally released a new BIOS (version 1.17) which fixes the nasty Intel AMT bug.

ATIVQ and Starlight5 like this.
  10. Rondo60

Rondo60 Pen Pal - Newbie

Can anyone tell me the procedure to update the BIOS? Can't find step by step instructions.