"Official" T904 Thread

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by SF6, Mar 12, 2014.

1. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

Windows Update thinks I'm ready:

[​IMG]

I don't think I'm ready. But for the sake of a little excitement, I'm going to do a full disk image backup and then take the plunge. I already regret this decision...

Mesosphere and lis like this.
  2. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

Everything went smoothly. After the update finished downloading, it took 20-30 minutes to update the system. There are no hardware issues! At all! Yay! After Disk Cleanup, Windows 10 freed up an extra 10GB of space compared to Windows 8.1. There are some software and settings issues:
    • UI animations look clunky and jittery. This seems like a display scaling issue.
    • Display auto-rotates in tablet mode, but doesn't automatically return to default in desktop mode.
    • Online search results should be disabled! ("Group Policy" shows an online app? Yuck.)
    • Fingerprint login requires setting up a PIN. Had to put a 30+ digit PIN for some semblance of security.
    • Automatic updates can only be disabled if you set the network as "metered connection"
    • Some Microsoft apps can't be uninstalled. ("Xbox" is part of the OS now? Huh.)
    All in all a successful and painless update.

3. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

4. linuxpro

linuxpro Pen Pal - Newbie

I recived my T904 this week and I'm quite satisfied with it.
    But I'm still running a few parallel-port printers and was wondering if I can use one of the older port-replicators which still have this port.
    Can anyone tell me, whether or not the T904 will work with an older docking station?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2015
  5. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

The new Windows 10 (version 1511) has a lot of good bug fixes and features:
    • touchpad is automatically disabled in tablet mode
    • auto-brightness is now fully disabled (even in low-light environments) when set to "disabled"
    • the split-second display snow during the handoff between the BIOS and Windows is gone
    • SMS client! Yeah!
    • UI animation is smooth again!
    • feels like better hardware support all around
    All in all Windows 10 is a slightly better experience on the T904 than Windows 8.1 was, thanks to little optimizations here and there.

With refurbished i5-4300U T904s selling on eBay for $650, this is now a relatively powerful, incredibly slick machine for its price bracket.

Update
    Every successive Windows 10 update makes the hardware issues worse. Windows 10 keeps bits and pieces of its own drivers installed even after vendor-supplied drivers are installed, and this makes the device crash or become completely inoperable. Sometimes Windows Update simply reinstalls its own drives with no regard to user input. Currently, the Validity fingerprint sensor (ID=0050 or WBF5302) driver doesn't work and can't be downgraded because Windows keeps parts of its own driver no matter which driver is installed.

Update 2
    A clean install (removing all applications and all user data) fixes these issues. Thanks for the tip, hacky.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
  6. linuxpro

linuxpro Pen Pal - Newbie

I've got another question:
    My fingerprint sensor won't work.
    I can't even find it :(
    Can anyone, who has already installed Windows 10, tell me, how the fingerprint sensor is named in the device manager?

7. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

The device ID is 138a:0050 and the Linux drivers appear to be currently in development.

Windows drivers are supplied by Microsoft/Validity/Fujitsu. Windows 10 requires a PIN before allowing fingerprint login.

8. hacky

hacky Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,

Thanks for your report. Yesterday I took the plunge to Windows 10 as well (starting right off with build 1511). It worked like a charm. All special hardware devices (fingerprint sensor, LTE module, pen, touch etc.) are supported. I did not have to enter any PIN for the fingerprint sensor. Hopefully it stays like that...

I actived the option to postpone updates in order to have better control what will be installed in the future (hopefully...).

Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
    ATIVQ likes this.
  9. dj_pirtu

dj_pirtu Pen Pal - Newbie

Just bought a T904 from my friend, it has been in demo use, he works at Fujitsu. It's like new and cost 400eur. Core i5-4200U (veru cool and silent), 128gb ssd and 8gb memory. 3g card too. Battery is like new. I was surprised how crap the speakers are, useless.

I installed windows 10 from scratch and it's working quite well except for the fingerprint reader which doesnt show in device manager at all.

Starlight5 likes this.
  10. Unlogic

Unlogic Scribbler - Standard Member

For those wanting to update the drivers of their T904 many of the drivers for the T936 work just fine.

I'm using both the audio and touchpad driver from the T936.

Rondo60 likes this.