"Official" T904 Thread

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by SF6, Mar 12, 2014.

1. SF6

SF6 Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi there,

since we are all starting to receive our T904s I found it to be a good idea to open up a thread for it.

Have fun with the T904 guys! I will start testing it from now on and share my experience with it.

My first impressions:
    Very thin and light machine. Even compared to Thinkpad Yoga and a game changer compared to the T902.

Notice: I have sent the machine back already due to the fan noise.

Overall build quality/ chassis:

Overall build quality seems very good. The machine is very thin and light (even lighter than the Thinkpad Yoga which is a 12,5" device). This is definitely the most beautiful machine I have ever owned. The aluminium looks gorgeous and is well put together. The screen looks solid as well and the hinge does a great job holding the screen in one place (better than the older convertibles like the X201t). When in "notebook" mode the screen clicks into place. The screen is incredible easy to turn into tablet mode. There is almost no force necessary. The aluminum surface however is quite sensitive to scratches. The ports are not easy to reach and if you miss the port you risk scratches as well.

Ports

The T904 has two USB 3.0 ports, one fullsize HDMI port, an SD slot, a finger print reader and a smart card reader (depending on the model). The power on button is in fact a slider on the right side of the notebook. It requires a little force to turn the notebook on because you basically have to slide it all the way for it to react.

HDMI seems to be HDMI 1.4 revision. My Dell U3014 works at its native resolution of 2560x1600 @ 60 Hz out of the box. However I get strange disconnects after a couple of minutes (see "problems encountered so far"). This also happened with another display so I don't know if the port itself is defective or if it's just a driver issue.

Status LEDs are on the right side of the notebooks. They are not too bright (which is good) and deliver information on HDD activity, power on and WLAN function. It's great to see that Fujitsu included these (Thinkpad Yoga doesn't have status LEDs anymore which to me is a negative).

There is also a docking port on the bottom of the notebook.

Screen:

• Standard scaling in Windows 8.1 is set to 200%. Everything looks sharp at that scaling level (although you lose the advantage of the high screen resolution).
    • Update: Although the screen is highly glossy it doesn't affect all day use too much. The gloss itself is better than the old MacBook Airs so it is definitely useable even outside. But I would avoid direct sunlight! Screen brightness is ok. I have seen better (X201t outdoor viewable) but of course a lot worse screens. So I would say this is more of a pro than a con.
    • If you think 100% scaling at 12,5" with a 1080p LCD makes everything look tiny, try 2560x1440 at 13,3" :D Everything gets ludicrous tiny. 125% works quite well for me, but still you need to have some really good eyesight. I must say that overall Windows scaling works great (at least with a single screen), but some programs lack support for high res screens. My preferred PDF reader, Foxit, doesn't handle the screen that well. The directory on the left side of the PDF just gets too small. MetroUI apps work great (especially IE that has no trouble with the resolution at all!). However MetroUI scales at 200% which to me seems a too high. I wonder if you could change scaling in MetroUI somehow?
    • Multi monitor setup however is a topic I haven't thought about. If you use manual scaling, all screens will use the same scaling factor. If you happen to have a 30" screen (like I do) this results in a fairly readable T904 screen, but a 30" screen that looks like it was made for seniors :( If you use automatic scaling on the other hand, Windows decides what scaling factor is best for each screen. However it still doesn't want to use 100% (native) on the 30" LCD and sets the T904 to 200%. I sure hope they will fix this! Because right now I can either have a nice 30" screen with an unreadable T904 or a nice T904 with an ugly looking 30" LCD.
    • Apart from the gloss the screen looks beautiful. Colors are great, everything looks amazingly sharp. The screen is pretty slippery which helps pen input a lot (not like some anti glare coating that makes using the pen sometimes awkward because of the resistance and noise). With T904 the pens easily glides on the surface.
    • Needles to say that you should always carry a clean cloth with you because the screen attracks fingerprints easily.
    One problem I need to mention:
    My screen shows a slightly dark area (in the form of a stripe from top to bottom) on the left side. This is only apparent from certain viewing angles and only with grey colored backgrounds.

Fan/ misc noise:

Unfortunately the biggest drawback for me:
    In my opinion fan noise is unbearable. It's better than the T902 because it spins up and down in a continous fashion and it shows no weird noise apart from the fan itself (like "clicking"), but it is still very loud and I can't see why. Temperatures usually are at around 60°C, I consider this very low, but see (or rather "hear") for yourself:

Fujitsu T904 fan noise - YouTube
    Take 2:
    T904 fan noise (take 2) with reference - YouTube

COMPARE THIS TO SURFACE 2 PRO:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzAVtz_rGbM&feature=youtu.be

The fan spins up very quickly. Opening a PDF file might be enough. Or scrolling through a PDF. The fan seems to react upon CPU frequency rather than temperature which results in high noise levels whenever turbo kicks in (like I said, scrolling through a PDF does the job...).

It's also a very high pitched sound which might be the reason why I consider it very noisy. I can easily hear the fan in my entire 54sqm apartment.

Demalion reported that his model was fairly quiet. I was running on balanced power plan rather than the Fujitsu power plan (because with that the CPU stays at 800 MHz most of the time). This might be a very personal thing, because to me noise is one of the most important factors when buying a mobile computer. And to me, the T904 is simply not acceptable for the price I paid (MacBook Airs can do it, so why can't Fujitsu do it?).

System speed

Using Windows' default balanced power plan turbo works quite nice. Single core usage I have seen 3,3 GHz and it stays at 3,3 GHz for a long time. During full load it started off at 3,0 GHz and dropped to about 2,6-2,7 Ghz after a while. Probably due to TDP limitations. Still a good result in my opinion and very usable during work. Especially the high single core turbo was important to me.

Temperatures and throtteling:

Temperatures stayed fairly low during all my tests. I have never seen it go above 65°C CPU core temp (real temp 3.7). Usually it stayed even lower at around 55°C (when at 2,6 GHz for example). One more reason why I can't understand why the fan has to spin so fast when temperatures are still very low.

No throtteling that I have seen. Single core turbo works fine up to 3,3 GHz and stays like that for a long time. Full load on all threads lets the frequency drop to 2,6-2,7 GHz eventually. Still good, and still above the 2,1 GHz base clock.

Battery life

I got around 10 hrs. while reading a PDF (no WiFi, no WAN, screen at 50% brightness, well usuable during daylight in a train).
    Taking notes in OneNote I still got around 6 hrs. of battery life which I find quite impressive (compared to Thinkpad Yoga which got around 5-7 hrs. at best).

Overall I'm pretty pleased with battery life even though I got the i7. Seems like the IGZO panel does pay off at the end.

Pen input:

Pen input has improved greatly over the T902. Out of the box the Fujitsu pen was very accurate even at the edges. This is the best Wacom implementation I have seen so far (compared to Thinkpad Yoga, Thinkpad X201t and Fujitsu T902).

Unfortunately the pen is very small and it's uncomfortable to take notes with it for a long period of time. It doesn't have an eraser neither. I tried to use my pen that came with my X201t. It worked alright, however accuracy was lower than the Fujitsu pen and the eraser was too sensitive. Might be a driver's issue though.

Problems encountered so far:

• Fan noise; temperature are at around 50°C, fan still spins up like crazy. Fan control seems to be linked to CPU frequency rather than temperature.
    • Dell U3014 works with HDMI natively out of the box 2560x1600 @ 60 Hz. However the monitor turns blank after being used a few minutes. This has happened with an old 17" LCD as well running at 12801024 resolution and another 21,5" LCD (I tried HDMI and DVI via adaptor). Intel HD driver is version 10.18.10.3412.
    • Dark spot on the left side of the display. Noticeable only on white or grey background colors.

Why you should or shouldn't buy T904:

Let's face it. There is no other 13,3" convertible notebook with this high res screen. So the only reason I would say why you should get the notebook is because of that beautiful 13,3" screen. The machine is also very light and beautiful. If you need the lightest notebook out there you should also get the T904. The pen input works very well so this might be the perfect machine for you artists out there.

You shouldn't however get the T904 if fan noise is an issue for you and if you are as picky about fan noise as I am. Overall I think the Thinkpad Yoga is the more balanced machine to get.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
    demalion, Unlogic, stormi and 3 others like this.
  2. ykvishal

ykvishal Scribbler - Standard Member

If you can make some video then it would be great.. Also give us feedback on Sound Noise!!!

3. Tekn0

Tekn0 Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah, is the fan noise as bad as T902s? Also, any whiney noise from the motherboard like the T902s would be good to know.

4. demalion

demalion Pen Pal - Newbie

I ordered last week, and mine just arrived.

I can comment on a few things:

• Pretty much as expected (that's a long list of positive things I won't bother to list, pretty much covered in all the coverage from last year), including a fingerprint reader. I mention this last because the information listing in the fujitsu shop never mentioned it, nor was it an option that I saw in the customization items, and it was listed as "optional" in some of the info from last year. I was concerned that it might have been left off of the preconfigured 8GB model, but it seems to be there and is listed in the Device Manager.

• The OS installed is a barebones Windows 7 Pro (which is why I said 'seems to be there' above for the fingerprint sensor, because it seems to be recognized but the software to manage it isn't installed so I haven't actually tried it out).

- As far as Windows 8.1, there is a web page listed on an included piece of paper to visit before upgrading, but the page doesn't actually work...I'm currently sniffing around the 3 included discs to see how you upgrade to 8.1​

• Processor:
      The CPU (described as "4th Generation Intel® Core vPro™ i5-4300U vPro™ Processor, 3 MB, Up to 2.9 GHz with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology" on the web page) is listed as "1.90GHz 2.50 Ghz" in Computer Properties, and I don't yet know how to go about checking to see how high the frequency will actually go to see if what that 2.50 Ghz means. It is listed as a 4300U (which is supposed to go up to 2.9 GHz), but I'm not familiar with whether that 2.50GHz means anything real (like BIOS limitation or something).

• Fan Noise:
      I have had the fan spin up once to a significant volume, for about 1 or 2 seconds, shortly after a boot. Otherwise, as far as just sitting on my lap and exploring, with a few web page visits, it is pretty quiet as far as I've been able to determine.
      What I mean by quiet is ranging from silent to "barely audible", which is actually not audible at all in my ambient environment, but in a truly quiet environment it should be barely audible with good hearing. I can hear it by bringing my ear to within about 6 inches of the vent on the left, to hear a slight high pitched whine, though when I ran the WEI it became louder and the level of sound I had to bring my ear close the hear otherwise became about as audible with the laptop sitting normally in my lap.
      The "significant volume" thing that happened that once for 1 or 2 seconds is way louder than all the rest of this noise, to clarify.
      I would label this as a "very quiet" machine so far.

5. SF6

SF6 Scribbler - Standard Member

2,5 GHz is max turbo with all 2 cores active. If only one core is being used it should go up to 2,9 GHz.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  6. Simon25

Simon25 Pen Pal - Newbie

Got mine today to. (Also German Premium Selection Version: i7-4600, 256GB SSD...)

Noise:
    Silent/passive when cpu in idle but high frequenzy noise (high cpu load). Similar to a HP tm2 1090.
    Sadly the max. Cpu Frequenzy (i7-4600) is 2.7GHz (Intel allows 3.3GHz). System settings says max 2.7Ghz, but task manager says Cpu goes up to 2,78Ghz.

Removing the pen and opening the LAN Adapter requires lifting the notebook.

The Display is brilliant and the Keyboard is also very good.

7. demalion

Ah, that sounds familiar. Thanks

8. ile

ile Scribbler - Standard Member

Is the Fan always spinning or is it completely off when idle / doing light stuff?

9. Precurve

Precurve Scribbler - Standard Member

My order finger is getting very twitchy

2 Questions:

1) Did anyone order a dock yet? It looks to me that Fujitsu US is taking the order but not shipping docks yet. I don't want to order that if it will delay the unit. But I definitely want 2 docks.

2) The Fujitsu US site had been quoting a ship date on the order form. That date now reads "tbd". Does anyone know what the current estimated ship date is for a US order?

10. demalion

The "silent" in my description was when I couldn't hear anything, even with my ear 6 inches or so from the vent. I don't know how often it occurs relative to the "barely audible" I describe, because I don't hear that from normal distance in my environment, but my current impression is that the fan is either off or in a super quiet mode in light usage. The "louder quiet" during the WEI (mini-benchmark) and the brief "sorta loud" after a boot are not frequent with my limited usage so far (the latter has only happened the once, and seems to be a once per boot thing).

Also, I haven't gotten my SSD replacement hard drive yet (have the included hybrid mechanical HD at the moment), so I don't know which of the above sound phenomenon are fan(s), which are the HD, and which are the fan responding to heat generated by the HD.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014