*Official* Samsung Series 7 Slate Thread

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by dgoodisi, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Coyote

Coyote Pen Pal - Newbie

Got my shipping notification and tracking number. So far UPS can't track the number. Must mean it's waiting.... However I did get free overnight shipping so it should be here tomorrow!!

Just goes to show that the MS Store (web) customer service information is totally bogus.

2. alvarez13

alvarez13 Scribbler - Standard Member

If you feel like installing win 8 dev preview later, you'll really enjoy the win 8 keyboard. Hopefully it's not too far off.

3. alaskajoel

alaskajoel Pen Pal - Newbie

Has anyone with the slate verified the Swype keyboard?

4. bobp

bobp Scribbler - Standard Member

Just picked my pre-order up from the Houston MS Store - and they gave me the option of 25% off my entire order or a MS phone.

Took the cash.

They also offered the Assurance plan with 2 year protection plan - at 25% off and included a free copy of Office Home & Student (which doesn't include Outlook).

Then picked up a MS 6000 bluetooth keyboard - also 25% off for only $37.

All I need now is the dock - which should hopefully arrive in a few days...

Of course - still need a case - and may want to get a screen protector (when available).

Now the fun begins - starting it up...

5. milehighako

milehighako Pen Pal - Newbie

No Swype that I could find, but Skype. Maybe someone made a type-o before.

6. alaskajoel

I'm hoping there was no type-o! :) Engadget reported the Swype keyboard available, and it was shown in this picture:

[​IMG]

7. NUHP1

NUHP1 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey guys the best buy site has the series 7 64gb available online and in stores. But the the 128gb sold out online no info about in stores.

11.6"|Samsung : Tablets - BestBuy

8. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Just checked the UPS tracking info and it is now updated with a scheduled delivery of tomorrow. It looks like for once someone actually drop shipped a significant number of Windows tablets simultaneously. I'd love to know just how many that was.

9. heatlesssun

As for Swype, that picture could just be a beta as Swype had been working on a Windows version for some time. Now that Google owns Swype I doubt a Windows version is much of a priority. I know some people swear by Swype but for text input I'll take a pen any day of the week. If you think about it, Swype is just a cursive keyboard. If you ink in cursive it's very much like Swype and in some ways more efficient.

10. alaskajoel

Anyone find a screen protector that gets close to full coverage?

11. Mac Wilson

Mac Wilson Scribbler - Standard Member

I got one. a few hours ago. Bought it a a Brick and mortar as they never shipped my online order for some reason so I cancelled it. Anyway, it was cheaper at the store.

THings I notice

Slippery back (not good but easily fixed with tape, or whatever)
    Gets warm, but so far not really hot.
    Really nice size and weight, which probably makes this the best Windows tablet ever.....maybe.

Too early to make any type of call on this. Only time will tell,
    but It's good to see so many happy people here though :)

Happy people.......so far :D

12. Steve S

Steve S Scribbler - Standard Member Super Moderator

13. alaskajoel

14. heatlesssun

Thanks for your impressions and congrats! Did you or do you have an EP121 and if so how would you compare the heat? I think I remember someone here saying that the Series 7 was cooler than the EP121 which makes sense as Sandy Bridge uses a bit less power than Arandale.

Thanks!

15. tabletartist4d

tabletartist4d Scribbler - Standard Member

I got mine from the san diego location. A nice guy named brant hooked it up, and yes i got a free phone, the phone i barely opened but feels nice also, still haven't turned that on and not sure if i plan on using it. Sorry for the late response I've been super busy and have barely been able to use the tablet. I did however do a quick vid of zbrush and photoshop that i will post tomorrow after work. Next week when i have more time I'm gonna try to install win8 and osx. So far i really love this slate, its been the best computer I've ever owned hands down and i can't recommend it enough. No buyers remorse here. But like others have stated the cameras ARE WORTHLESS.. thats what i have other pro ones for tho.

16. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The front-facing is worthless even just for something like Skype too? I figure it can't be any worse than the 0.3 MP one in the Dell Mini I had a while back.

17. tabletartist4d

tabletartist4d Scribbler - Standard Member

well no its fine for that and strangely seems to be better quality than the back facing, or maybe its me.

18. Mac Wilson

Mac Wilson Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm not a good judge as I won't be able to road test this in any meaningful way for a while (too busy).

Heat is a major concern with these things, but much of that is subjective, do to climate differences, etc. It's cooler now (outside) so who knows.

I don't think it's going to have better thermal design than the EP121, which I own. That tablet has excellent thermals as it has 2 aggressive fans. It runs rather cool.

We shall see :)

A couple preliminary comparisons to the EP121:

much better form factor (weight, size and shape)
    I also like the rotation button and the on off button. These are done really well.
    Once again they have made the ports a complete nightmare to open. This one is so bad I don't even want to go there.
    Of course the Ep121 is no picnic. ;)

19. heatlesssun

Thanks again. Yeah, the EP121's ports are a pain but over time the covers have loosened up considerably, they are MUCH better than when I first got it nine months ago.

One thing that also probably helps the EP121's thermals is the plastic back. Not as sexy as a totally metallic body but plastic doesn't it conduct heat either.

20. timpaatkins

timpaatkins Scribbler - Standard Member

Hmm, so with so many deals and fatbacks and cash in store rebates and online discounts ect etc, what would be the very best deal for an overseas customer that knows someone in the states?

For example, I have a friend visiting LA over the new year, would he be eligible for this 25% in store discount? What are the taxes over there?

Looks like MS store is Out of stock as of 11.21 CET.