*Official* Samsung Series 7 Slate Thread

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by dgoodisi, Aug 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djozone

djozone Pen Pal - Newbie

Yup! Same here, I did next day delivery and I should be getting it by 3pm tomorrow. I did a return of the one I got from Microsoft Store so hopefully this won't suffer the same issues.

2. Kirkaiya

Kirkaiya Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes, it goes on sale today in Korea (I live in Thailand, and called the Samsung D'Light store last week), but the price, at 1.7 million won (S. Korea's currency) ends up being about $1,600 for the 128GB model, so it's more expensive there than here (as a number of commenters on Koran message boards angrily pointed out).

3. anakongkong

anakongkong Pen Pal - Newbie

I heard, $1600 for 64GB model + dock +keyboard + case.. it's way expensive than here. lol

4. Kirkaiya

So in the end, after looking at the cost of the parts (3G+WiFi GTM671W card, bluetooth LE mini-card, dipole antenna) and the time it would take to install everything myself, etc, plus the uncertainty that I'd get everything working in the end.... I bought one of the //build/ developer preview models on eBay. It was a few hundred more than getting the bundle with keyboard and dock (which seem to be around $1350 or so), and only has half the SSD space (64 GB), but at least I know everything works. Plus, it comes with a 12-month AT&T card, unused, which includes 2 GB per month of data (I'm moving back to the U.S. in April, so that will still get some use). And since it comes with the keyboard and dock, it's one less thing to worry about.

I'm figuring on just buying the fastest 32GB microSD card I can find to expand the total storage to 96GB, which is a decent compromise. I mainly want it for Windows 8 (especially metro) development anyway, so I won't be installing a ton of other stuff.

*sigh*

Now, I'm wondering if I should get a S7S, maybe the 128 GB model, for the cheapest possible price, and just share the accessories... (I won't ever need more than one keyboard at a time, really!)

This has been a GREAT thread, and was the reason I signed up for this site. So much great information!!!

5. testplayer

testplayer Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi Kirkaiya, what is the "bluetooth LE mini-card"? Does it fit into the regular A03/A04 model? Is it a usb card?

6. Kirkaiya

Without seeing the inside of a S7S yet, I don't know exactly which module would fit (or where it would connect - possibly to spare USB pins on the motherboard).

But some examples of modules from other notebooks look like these:

Dell Bluetooth Module Truemobile 375 G9M5X cable E5410 | eBay

HP Compaq 6710b Bluetooth Module | eBay

The uncertainty over which specific module to buy, pending an answer from somebody else who opens up their S7S and checks the motherboard (or even better, someone with a //build/ unit reporting the exact model and how it was connected), is part of what drove me to just get a complete 3G+GPS+WiFi+Bluetooth version on eBay.

You can see what appears to be the bluetooth module in the lower-left of this photo:
    [​IMG]
    (if that link doesn't work, just paste the URL http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/getfile/24941/ into your browser).

There is a gray connector-cable running around the lower left-hand corner to what appears (to me) to be a bluetooth module, which is just below the lower corner of the bar-code sticker on the battery....

7. shmuelzon

shmuelzon Scribbler - Standard Member

I don't think that cable connects to a bluetooth module. It's just where the antenna connects. Follow the 4 wires going out of the 3g+wifi card. You can see there is one that goes to the top of the case just as the one to the bottom.

8. Kirkaiya

You might be right - it's very hard to tell in the photo. The person who posted that, also posted a closeup of the GTM671W unit at my request, but he hasn't gotten back to me if he can identify the bluetooth module's location and hookup.

Oh well - my developer preview slate should be shipping later today, although I won't see it until Dec 12, sadly ;-(

9. hp79

hp79 Scribbler - Standard Member

For those looking for an extra power adapter, don't be fooled by ebay sellers selling fake as genuine samsung adapters. I bought one of those and found out it is fake. I'm currently dealing with the seller about it.

Besides the incorrect fit because the size is completely different, the weight is lighter than the original adapter, and also the Korean characters are mis-spelled.
    I sent the seller this photo of the label with corrected characters. (See how the circles and squares are different in the characters.)

Attached Files:

10. VegasPat73

VegasPat73 Pen Pal - Newbie

You can say that again. I think some of these places online are the same place. I'm just waiting for an official adapter becomes available.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.