*Official* Samsung Series 7 Slate Thread

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by dgoodisi, Aug 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gkolotelo

gkolotelo Pen Pal - Newbie

I bought it from Embedded Works, for US$130,00. It`s hard to find these, neither eBay nor Amazon have it, the link, actually was mentioned on early posts. They shipped it within 2 days. Transaction via Yahoo Store, shipping via UPS. Everything went smooth.

Link: EmbeddedWorks | wwan > >

2. gkolotelo

gkolotelo Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm actually waiting for my uncle, which is in Florida, to bring mine, I think it'll be here (Brazil) around Nov. 20, then I'll install the GTM and a 128Gb SSD.

Where did you find the GTM? How much?

Thanks to im140.2, I know I have to get a SIM holder, and have some clues on how to open it, so that I don't have to wait for longer :)

3. IamDario

IamDario Pen Pal - Newbie

I was wondering if anyone order the tablet from Best Buy Business yet? I was also wondering if you have to have a business account in order to order from the site?

4. VegasPat73

VegasPat73 Pen Pal - Newbie

I ordered the case from BestBuyBusiness. No you don't need to be a business.

5. augenblick

augenblick Pen Pal - Newbie

OK. I have just removed the back cover, put the 128GB in and installed Win7 from the recovery DVD/CDs.

When pulling the back cover I think I bent/broken a couple plastic holders.

There are 3 types. One that goes on top of the frame. In between these there are few and 1-2mm away from the first ones. There is also a 3rd type around port connectors etc and they are in deeper areas and longer as well as thinner. A couple of these 3rd ones, broke/bent (plastic). With daylight tomorrow I will try to pop-it in again. For my first day with this Slate I think I did enough damage ;) It is currently popped in but in some areas there is some flex. If not here comes the glue.

I am guessing the MSDN Developer units were also opened by someone like me before to put the 3G Card and slot in and to put it back right they glued it. I might later try to buy a back cover from Samsung when they officially start shipping and supporting these in Canada.

The DDR-RAM seems to be soldered. Couldn't find any trace of a slot. I was hoping I could later score single stick 8GB (when they get cheaper) and put it on but no avail. 8GB RAM helps me a lot in lightroom and 21MP files.

Also when installing the new OS from DVD drive I had to use a USB hub (for keyboard, mouse and external DVD). I also had to press power and Volume up buttons at the same time to force the slate boot from CD.
    I installed all the Samsung Applications/Drivers from the second CD. Doing a Windows update for the remaining.

Couldn't access to BIOS and don't know how(yet) so there must be an easier way.
    If someone knows can you share?

All in all after scoring a refurb (ie brand new but returned) Logitech Ipad2 BT Keyboard and stand for $40 from a local dealer this set-up kicks ass of my Lenovo x220 notebook. I will only miss the second 256GB SSD that I had on that one and perhaps the noon glossy IPS display. But this one is lighter and I can also use the inking pen.

6. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hold the the Windows button down while powering on the unit to access the BIOS.

7. kmroth20

kmroth20 Pen Pal - Newbie

I ordered from BestBuy Business. The bundle is the best deal.

8. cafcwest

cafcwest Pen Pal - Newbie

Had just placed an order at the Microsoft Store with the current free dock (On the $1299 Win7Pro/128GB A04 model), then here in this thread found the Best Buy For Business deal mentioned. Ordered from Best Buy model, will be cancelling the MS Store order as soon as it shows up in my account (of course the CC hold showed up right away, just not the order in my account). Thanks to the poster of this deal!

Anyway, I really look forward to getting my S7S and giving back to this community. I've got a couple of things semi-out of the norm I want to test out and see if it is capable.

9. shmuelzon

shmuelzon Scribbler - Standard Member

Won't you loose Bluetooth in the process? it's a part of the Intel 6230 card that you want to replace. I don't see Bluetooth on the Option card.

I wonder what the //build/ devices had...

10. im140.2

im140.2 Pen Pal - Newbie

Option GTM671

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.