*Official* Samsung Series 7 Slate Thread

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by dgoodisi, Aug 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VegasPat73

VegasPat73 Pen Pal - Newbie

2. VegasPat73

VegasPat73 Pen Pal - Newbie

Just to share, I just ordered my S7S A03 model from circuitcity.com. They confirm it comes with keyboard & dock. I live in Ohio and there was no tax and ground 3-7 days shipping was free. I used Fatwallet.com and got 5% cash back and used billmelater to pay and got $20 off. In total, it came up less than amazon's price and I should be getting it next week.

3. MsHappy

MsHappy Pen Pal - Newbie

Even though I’m an Internet lover, I haven’t been a forum user so far and thus this is my first post. What changed my mind? I’ve been following this thread for five weeks now, reading each and every single post. What you guys wrote helped me a lot and even amused me quite a bit and therefore I thought I just had to give you something in return.

On availability in Europe:
    Amazon.fr was the first online shop to show it. I ordered it from there on October 2nd. Google Translator even told me the status would be “in stock”. Well that clearly was a misinformation – it’s NOT available. I canceled my order two weeks later. Exempt from amazon.co.uk, where some sellers offer it imported from the US, all European online stores who list the device show a release date between 28th and 30th of November. I wouldn’t give too much to that, as I’ve seen them constantly moving the availability dates a few days further for weeks now. I read that the device isn’t planned to be released in Germany (which is where I live) at all. That matches the information I got when trying to preorder it from amazon.com: This special device is banned to be shipped to Germany by Samsung itself. (…must have something to do with the ongoing patent battle between Samsung and Apple which peaked in Germany during IFA.) For an order in the Microsoft online store you need a US-Address. As I wanted this thing so badly– I bought it from a private seller on eBay. There was a hefty markup I had to pay (especially considering all the discounts you guys get over there) but the seller shaped up to be a really nice person and the device was even worth the extra money.

On the device itself:
    Actually I think I must have been waiting for this kind of device since the year 2000, when I bought my first Palm PDA, trying many different devices in the meantime but never being completely satisfied with them (latest being the 7” Galaxy Tab, followed by short test periods with the Lenovo Tinkpad Tablet and the HTC Flyer). I’m not sure if there is an American equivalent but if you translate it word by word this device is an “Egg-laying-Wool-Milk-Pig”. I’m a big note-taking-lover. Since my academic studies I can’t even read a book (exempt for a novel) anymore without a marker in my hand (better two or three). The device is just perfect for that. No searching for slips of paper any longer. I work with all the MS Office Programs a lot and the most annoying fact on my former Android devices was, that documents where displayed totally messy, no matter which android office software you used. Additionally even though some of the devices had USB-Ports it was absolutely no fun to shift folders or files between your existing network and the new device. The S7S solves all those problems without the drawback of being annoyingly slow of all the Windows Tables out there on the market before.

I’m teaching business administration and informatics at a commercial and vocational training college and now that I have it I’m sure that this device will help me to restructure all my working processes: No more print-outs of transparencies, no more booting up the slow computers in classrooms, no more fiddling around with USB-sticks, no more chalk on your hands (and trousers). Now I can annotate files of all formats simultaneously in class and printing out student-materials on our copy machines directly with the slate. I even hope to get rid of all the paper in my office-mailbox by just taking picture-scans of all the things I want to archive. I really consider the device as perfect for my work and leisure. And after all I’m glad I got the more expensive 04 version from the US as there won’t be a 128 GB version in Europe and I already would have run out of storage by now on a 64 GB device, with not that much installed so far. The only minor build quality flaw I found are the letters of the Samsung logo on the back, which are starting to get loose already.

On the fan noise issue:
    I’m a very noise sensitive person (“placing-my-laptop-in-a-different-room-with-cables-to-a-separate-display-etc” – that kind of noise sensitive). I found the fan noise annoying as I got the device. But fortunately there ist the “Auto” mode in the Easy Settings Menu that reduces the noise if possible. That mode is fantastic. You can barely hear the fan at all. The only problem is, that every time you reboot the device the setting will be gone and you have to change it back again.

On the customs issue to Europe:
    As there is no extra toll on imported computers in Germany (I’m not sure but that may be the case for the entire European trade zone), I “just” had to pay the normal German VAT of 19%. I was told that 80-90% of the parcels from the US have to be picked up at the customs department, which prolongates the shipment. That’s because most people don’t know that you can prevent this from happening by attaching the receipt somewhere on the outside of the parcel.

On the changing language issue:
    It’s said, that you can use two languages with the handwriting recognition when you have at least Windows Professional. As I found out, that’s only half the truth: You can use your display language and English. But when your display language is set to English your options are limited to English or English. Hence you need to upgrade to Windows Ultimate for an extra 190 bugs to be able to change to another screen language. I wouldn’t have bothered with the English menus but I really needed the handwriting recognition to work.

On the “How can I use it with a projector” issue”:
    As I need the device to connect to a projector which only has a VGA-port, I did some research on that issue. It seems to be pretty hard to get the conversion of the digital signal in an analog one to work. Cables are not sufficient. You need a converter. Fortunately there are the first converters out there that almost look like a cable. I’ve tested two of them: The one from HP wasn’t working, but the no-name-one from a Chinese eBay seller is. If you follow the latter link you will see that it consists of two cables the second one for connecting an MHL-Port such as on the SGS2 to HDMI (which didn’t work).

On the pressure sensitivity issue:
    I’ve followed the link on post #811 and installed the Asus drivers. Everything – even the pressure sensitivity - works perfect now. I even think that the calibration of the pen is somewhat better now. In case you also wonder which driver to download: It’s the upper one named "Wacon ISD_DualTouch_V7.0.2-21".

On the missing keyboard and stand (and case) issue:
    As I won’t be able to get the dock and the keyboard that easily in Europe (at least for a while), I did some research on fitting products. I found this Logitch keyboard (always very nice building quality), which even has a case to protect it. As this wouldn’t be enough you can also use the case as a stand. The only problem is that it’s made especially for the iPad. As I’m typing on it right now you can see this isn’t a problem at all. You even have windows keys and some other special function keys e.g. for volume control or search work as well. The only key I’m definitely missing is the “Del” one. But I should be able to get used to that. On the esthetics: It looks amazingly good with the S7S (even better than in the combination with an iPad) as it’s the exact same size as the Slate. For the case I can recommend this MacBook Air one, which fits just perfectly.

I hope that will help some of you a little and that I didn’t bore you, as I know that this is going to be a pretty long post.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  4. timpaatkins

timpaatkins Scribbler - Standard Member

MSHappy, thanks fr taking the time to type that out. Are you seeing the glass lift from the bezel as many others have? any flex?

5. MsHappy

MsHappy Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes, I do see it. ...but only after getting granular on it. On the one hand this is the kind of minor flaw you most probably wouldn't find on an iPad but on the other hand its so minimal that I can't see any real problem evolving from it.

6. MsHappy

MsHappy Pen Pal - Newbie

One other thought on the no-3G-issue:
    Having a built-in SIM-Card-Slot is kind of nice (I had it in other devices before). But to be honest: When I spent time with family or friends I don't use the device. All other times I’m either at home or at work and both places supply me with a proper WLAN connection. If there will be a situation where I need an internet connection on the go I can easily use the tethering functionality of my mobile phone. If you have set up the connection once it really is no big deal at all to connect again.

7. timpaatkins

timpaatkins Scribbler - Standard Member

Unless of course the screen (thanks to the flex in the casing) slowly works itself completely free within a few months of use, which seems very likely...

8. Konartist3D

Konartist3D Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm in the same boat as MsHappy. I also been following this thread for 5 weeks and this is my first post. You guys have been extremely helpful and I want to thank everyone here. Thanks everyone!

It was this forum that first notified me about the availability of the Samsung Slate in the Westfield Century City Mall. The next morning, during lunch I and several of my coworkers went there. I knew I was picking up this slate because from the specs it seems like a perfect portable device to run ZBrush. 3 of my fellow coworkers who were just curious and wanted to check it out also picked up their own slate as well. We left with a total of 4 slates that day.

That night, I found an issue that almost made me return the slate. The pressure sensitivity wasn't working in ZBrush which would makes it a deal breaker. I knew I had to install the Wacom Tablet PC drivers but the link on their site didn't work at the time so I started downloading drivers from other countries which all failed to install. I then remember the Asus Eee Slate and remembered reading that it also had a wacom pressure sensitive screen. I'm the "co-worker" from the link on post #811. So now ZBrush has pressure sensitivity and runs better than I thought it would. I was thinking this slate was good enough to make simple models with medium details in the 2-3 million poly range but to my surprise, I've loaded some of my final models in the 8 million range and it still very workable. A little laggy when the model is rotating but still smooth when sculpting.

So I been showing this slate around work and now there are 8 of us. There are several people showing interest so that number will continue to grow. Samsung should really market this slate towards artists. Both 2D and 3D.

Yes, the glass is also slightly lifted on mine as well. But it's so minor that I wouldn't of notice if hadn't been pointed out. I'll be keeping a close watch if it gets worst.

9. jamesT

jamesT Pen Pal - Newbie

Strongly agree. As a digital artist of 7 years, I instantly fell in love. Finally, an ultra portable wacom tablet powerful enough to do professional work. For a device like this, ZBrush is pretty damn impressive! (another one of my affections) Corel Painter, Sketchbook Designer, and of course Sketchbook Pro and Artrage run smoothly.

There's a lot of Cintiq $ they could swing their way, especially how those things are priced.

10. paulrea

paulrea Pen Pal - Newbie

@milehighako If you're still reading this thread - Do you know which version of the Slate you purchased 03/04/05? that it has a working TPM?

Are there any slates aside from the Developer that have GPS/Other sensors

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.