*Official* Samsung Series 7 Slate Thread

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by dgoodisi, Aug 31, 2011.

1. dgoodisi

dgoodisi Scribbler - Standard Member

I posted this in the alternatives thread, but due to the feature set I feel this warrants it's own thread.

Liliputing just posted about the Samsung Series 7 tablet

Samsung Series 7 tablet features Windows 7 - Liliputing

11.6" display, Core I5, 4g RAM, 64/128g SSD, up to 7 hours battery life

Capacitive touch and a Wacom digitizer.

This is my Slate 500 replacement.

Post includes a video, at the end of the video is the Wacom reference.

2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Looks like something that will compete well with the Asus 121. I am assuming that it will have a fan/sink on the I5. Hopefully, it is a ULV SB I5. That would really boost graphics capability. 7 Hour battery life sounds incredible. I'll have to see that.

Wacom is nice. And information on the display? The side profile is really slim for something as big as it is, with an I5 and 7 hour battery. Not sure about replacing my Slate just yet, but glad to see some design improvement. Looking forward to a few days of interesting news from the IFA conference.

3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

This is too good to be true.

Wacom, Core i5, 7 hour battery life, and a 400 nit display in a Quite small 11.6 inch display,

I would be very skeptical of the wacom part since Wacom doesn't make 11.6 sensor boards....but that's definitely a wacom pen on the video. Battery life I'm skeptical about, but so long as I can get 3-4 hours I'm good.

well Ep121....it's been nice knowing you

4. Steve S

Steve S Scribbler - Standard Member Super Moderator

Well, I'm impressed! But I'm not sure that I'll be giving up my EP121 just yet...

5. BurntOrngeLonghorn84

BurntOrngeLonghorn84 Scribbler - Standard Member

6. DaveP

DaveP Scribbler - Standard Member

Battery life, from what I read, is with the radios switched off. Real life will undoubtedly intervene.

My only problem is the size and weight. Over two pounds and the size of a binder for letter size paper. Too heavy and too big for me. I'm hoping someone will come out with a tablet where the "7" refers to the screen instead of to the OS.

7. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Must... have... one (Faints)

"Battery life is given as 7 hours, which is pretty good for a Windows tab"

Well.. that's me sold on the idea and I'll be buying the moment it hits the states and importing to the UK. Anyone want to buy a brand new MSI 110w as I'm saving for this instead! Seriously this literally steals any thunder that the EP121 retained with it's 1366x768 Windows 8 ready resolution. Looked damn thin in the video as well (Hope the fan stays off!) I HOPE it takes the Intel 310 as I'm pretty positive that it'll ship with the usual Sandisk slow SSD.

Can't wait and it's a shame that I'll now not even open the MSI 110w box :(

8. testplayer

testplayer Scribbler - Standard Member

:eek: OMG this is ALMOST exactly what I want, except that I want a 1280x800 instead of 1366x768.

But there are some weird things:
    1. Seems like it has a Wacom digitizer (yeah, that really rocks!!), since it has an eraser, and N-trig doesn't usually. But a wacom digitizer on a screen size lower than 12-inch? Is that possible?
    2. Core i5-2467M can beat Core i5-2557M??
    PassMark - Intel Core i5-2467M @ 1.60GHz - Price performance comparison
    PassMark - Intel Core i5-2557M @ 1.70GHz - Price performance comparison

9. bloodycape

bloodycape Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I dunno why this is a glossy screen when the other Series 7 have matte displays, but then again this is a 400nit screen vs 300nit on the other two .

10. testplayer

testplayer Scribbler - Standard Member

Yes, it has a Core i5 2467M 1.6GHz dual-core quad-thread and can turbo boost to 2.3GHz.
    Samsung's Series 7 Slate PC hands-on -- Engadget

The weird thing is the wacom digitizer, since wacom never has sensor board lower than 12-inch. But according to the video, it has eraser so it cannot be an N-trig.

11. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Now Wacom should make a 10" digitizer panel. I thought there was an 8" Wacom board in the Asus EEE Note. One more thing ... all future slates must have at least 16:10 or wider aspect ratios. It is so decreed!

12. alvarez13

alvarez13 Scribbler - Standard Member

13. bloodycape

Except I think Windows 8 is suppose to be designed for widescreen tablets because 1366x768 is one of the most common resolutions on the market(both laptop and desktop market).

14. dgoodisi

dgoodisi Scribbler - Standard Member

Samsung's Series 7 Slate PC hands-on -- Engadget

I love how reviewers get things wrong.

First the article states:
    "Each slate also comes with a capacitive stylus..."

Then later states:
    "The stylus also worked quite well, as the screen picked up its movements once the tip was half an inch from the surface. Plus, there was a little diamond indicator that popped up and tracked the pen's movements to aid the accuracy of our taps."

Why can't they get reviewers who actually understand the technology they are reviewing?

Actually I can't complain to much, one of the few write-ups on engadget that didn't end with "but it can't compete with Apple."

15. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

In all likelihood, this is going to be my next PC.

My Dell XT is barely holding it together, and while I like my HP tc1100, it's obviously a little old, slow, and bulky, these days.

The Samsung looks nearly perfect for my needs though, especially if it can get good battery life and if it handles the heat output well.

A few nitpicks I have though...

1.) I'm a little concerned about the aspect ratio. 1280x800 is narrow enough in portrait, 1366x768 is even worse.

2.) I really HATE that new Samsung PCs use microSD. I've got way too many full-sized SD cards that I'm not going to go out and replace with microSD, but I'd still like to be able to transfer things onto them from time to time.

3.) Hopefully the US gets a more standard keyboard than the one they're showing, that's got an odd layout.

4.) I also wonder if maybe they'll sell it without the Bluetooth keyboard but with the dock, as I have a Bluetooth keyboard I use already.

But still, it's looking highly likely that I'll be picking one of these up in the fall.

16. mittmark

mittmark Scribbler - Standard Member

Blown away, finally! Can't wait.

17. Solom01

Solom01 Scribbler - Standard Member

Wow, who knows what the actual product will end up being but have you all seen the new Windows Slate Samsung announced today? It seems to finally put together all the pieces; Wacom digitizer, fast cpu, low weight and size, build quality and decent battery life. It sounds too good to be true but if it ends up being half as nice as described I may have finally found a replacement for my HP TM2!

18. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Up till this tablet. Wacom made sensor boards in 4.8, 7, 8.4, 9.7, 10.4, 12.1 full, 12.1 wide, and 14

But only the 12.1 wide had the dual digitizer for pen and touch.

Wacom never supported 11.6 before, but it looks like they finally buckled.

19. Mhotep

Mhotep Scribbler - Standard Member

I want it!

20. bloodycape

Don't you mean 12.5in for the 12.1 wide, like the X220 has? Isn't the 13in Fujitsu also using a Wacom screen?

I dunno the more I think about it the more I want get this, but then their 14in Series 7 also caught my eye. Then there is Windows 8 and ARM based tablet, and I am sure HP and others have some sweet plans there also. Almost too many choices.