*Official* Fujitsu T902 Thread

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by Zero, Jun 9, 2013.

1. LROBBINS

LROBBINS Scribbler - Standard Member

T 902 BATTERY

We have three T902 PCs here, all with both main and secondary batteries. One is almost always powered from the large batteries of my daughter's wheelchair, but the other two are often run from the internal batteries - never charged above 80%, never discharged below 10%, and rarely below 50%. Yesterday, the main batteries on both of those started to show a blinking red LED, do not take a charge, and CPUID hardware monitor says both are at 0 volts even though there's been no loss of "Full Charge Capacity". I seem to recall mention somewhere here that Fujitsu had rigged things so that batteries are declared kaput after nnn cycles, whether really bad or not - safety being the given reason, planned obsolescence seeming more likely to me.

I any case:
    (1) does anyone know of a kludge for this?
    (2) does anyone know of a reasonably-priced, but reliable, source for T902 batteries?

Thanks for your help,
    Lenny Robbins, Siena, Italia

ATIVQ likes this.
  2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...(2) does anyone know of a reasonably-priced, but reliable, source for T902 batteries?..>>

@LROBBINS : No question that replacement batteries can be a pain. First of all, I am unfamiliar with the T902; does it have a removable battery pack? If so, then you may have some possible options:
    • First of all, I would certainly try to contact Fujitsu and see if they sell a replacement pack. Alternatively, if you have a dedicated battery store like Batteries Plus in your country, try them.
    • Second, I would check eBay or your local auction site; battery packs may be offered, but you'll have to judge for yourself if the seller looks reliable or not. Always ask about their return policy before buying.
    • Third, at the same auction site, also look for any T902s being sold for parts; ask if you can just buy the battery.
    • Fourth, it is not very common (really, pretty uncommon) but you may be able to find a company that rebuilds / refurbishes Li Ion battery packs. If so, you might try them, but it would be a last-ditch effort.
    I realize that none of these suggestions may be particularly palatable, but replacement batteries, especially for older computers, aren't a lucrative undertaking for many businesses...

Good luck, though...

3. LROBBINS

UPDATE

First, some clarification. (1) The T902 not only has user-replacable batteries, both the main battery and accessory bay secondary battery are hot swappable. (2) Up until the time the Fujitsu "smart battery" software disabled them, these batteries had shown next to no loss of capacity. Fujitsu has apparently decided to turn them off after some number of cycles, even if those cycles involve minimal levels of discharge and recharge.

Batteries are available from Fujitsu authorized resellers, but at exaggerated prices that come close to the total value of these old, but still very capable, PCs. There turn out, however, to be many sellers on e-bay that have replacements (many claiming to be "original") at reasonable prices. I have ordered these:

https://www.ebay.it/itm/Original-FP...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

They do seem to be pristine, unused and do show full capacity.

stoneseeker likes this.
  4. Waseem Alkurdi

Waseem Alkurdi Pen Pal - Newbie

The Fujitsu battery limiting software can actually be disabled: https://www.stevenmaude.co.uk/posts...-control-update-tool-from-crashing-windows-10

5. LROBBINS

Sorry Waseem, I think you misread what's in that link. That article tells us how to get the installation of the battery-disabler to work, not how to get rid of the battery disabler. Installation involves modifying the BIOS and that process gave a BSOD because of a Windows Defender setting on that users machine. Unfortunately, on my machines the disabler just silently installed.

6. Waseem Alkurdi

Waseem Alkurdi Pen Pal - Newbie

Ah, you're totally right ... I meant to post this link: https://club.myce.com/t/fujitsu-restricts-aging-laptop-battery-capacity-to-65/405112/8

While I don't have a T902 (I have a T726), I did some Googling for this tool and whether it can be nuked from orbit. The tool modifies either the EC or the BIOS, so one should look into hacking these.

First, a stupid question: does resetting the EC (by pulling out both batteries and the AC adapter, then waiting or holding the power button for a few seconds) then booting into Linux (or a clean Windows copy without the Fujitsu tool) fix this issue?
    While this occurred to me independently, the link above appears to have done the same thing, with success.

In case this doesn't work, try unlocking the advanced options page of the Insyde BIOS (assuming you have a UEFI BIOS): https://ristovski.github.io/posts/inside-insydeh2o/
    or
    https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-lenovo-yoga-2-pro-el-capitan-using-clover-uefi.183578/

7. LROBBINS

Thanks for the further information. I can't try what that link or you suggest as I already replaced the batteries and sent the old ones to the municipal disposal center. Oh well.