*Official* Fujitsu T902 Thread

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by Zero, Jun 9, 2013.

1. Amos Storkey

Amos Storkey Pen Pal - Newbie

Summary: Have you modded your T902? If so, give us your story...

So I have tried looking for a modern replacement for my T902 i7. But there isn't one. Even basic requirements such as

1) must have all the ports (HDMI VGA ethernet USB SD Card).
    2) Must have Wacom EMR pen and silo.
    3) must be able to sit on my lap (i.e. be a laptop not a glorified tablet)

rule out all laptops currently on the market. Sad as in the old days we had the choice of many (with the T900-T902 being the best). Then Fujitsu lost the plot - with cheap rotational hinges that broke, the removal of the VGA port and now ditching EMR in the T938 (try get a T938 in the UK anyway - it takes months).

So it looks like I am still keeping my T902 i7 (this is about the fourth year I have come to this conclusion)...

As a result I wonder if anyone has found any successful mods. Obviously I have maxed out RAM, SSD, new batteries etc. But are there clever things we could do to replace the panel with a more modern one, hack in a different motherboard (!, unlikely I know but would be great if we could), improve cooling/heat dissipation, shave off weight, add modern ports, etc. I know I am not the only one hanging on their T902 beast^1 for these kreasons. Any clever people out there with success stories?

Alternatively has someone managed to add salvaged wacom EMR hardware to a T938, and found a way to mock up a silo...

^1 In fact I just bought another to fix my broken VGA port (I pulled the laptop off the table. duh). So I have spares for everything else...

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2018
    thatcomicsguy likes this.
  2. Starlight5

Starlight5 So what if I'm crazy? The best people are.

@Amos Storkey arguably T734 (i7 quad, but only 12GB RAM) and T726 (much faster GPU, 20GB RAM) are both upgrades over T902 - however they are limited to HD screens which is simply ridiculous in this day and age. Still, they both are definitely faster, while keeping EMR & legacy ports. Anyway, upgrading display on EMR machines is extremely hard, hence even very popular legacy Thinkpad convertibles didn't receive such upgrades unlike their traditional laptop counterparts; I'd say chances for T902 are bout nil.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
    stoneseeker likes this.
  3. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Some people had success with modding the T901 because the CPU was socketed, (they swapped in a quad core) but I haven't heard of any serious modding to the T902, as the CPU is soldered.
    I feel the sentiment though!
    I know its not a convertible, but have you considered the HP Zbook x2? Its a dream to use. And if you could get used to the newest implementation of WAcom AES, the HP x360 studio is also an incredible machine with plenty of ports and power as well as a more traditional convertible.

Starlight5 likes this.
  4. Newveau

Newveau Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi all.
    Has anyone had any luck using a wacom tablet with their T902?
    I've been getting a bad back from bending over my T902, so I bought an external monitor and connected my old Intuos 3 so i can draw with it on my lap.

For some reason the drivers show up in: device manager > human interface devices.

I did the exact same thing on my gaming laptop (both windows 10) and it installed and the intuos works perfectly.

Do you think there would be some driver conflict issues with the T902?

5. coolyboy

coolyboy Pen Pal - Newbie

@C-Master. I had the problem with t902 auto restart one time. I install the msata into it and install the window 10. I put in all the driver in from fujitsu website. ONce the touch and pointer driver, every time I touch the screen it restarts itself. So check the touch and pointer driver. Remember to start it whenever it asks you to. if not the driver for some reason doesn't install correctly. I install each driver one at a time. current window 10 is to update and have no issue.
    *** I just order a used t734, and it comes with the 4712mq. can't wait to see how this laptop compares to T902.

Attached Files:

Starlight5 and stoneseeker like this.
  6. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Yes, you can't have 2 different Wacom drivers running at the same time, so you can uninstall theT902 touch/pen drivers and then install the intuos ones from the Wacom website.... But then you wont be able to use the T902 pen on the screen anymore.
    You could try installing the intuos driver and then using Windows services window to turn off the driver your not using, but I'm unsure of whether that will reliably work.