*Official* Fujitsu T902 Thread

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by Zero, Jun 9, 2013.

1. 3phemeral

3phemeral Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks. I have a fresh install of Windows 8. I'm wondering if the adhesion improves over time, as with some of my other screen protectors for other touch-screen devices eventually do, but those were wet-apply films that shrink after the liquid evaporates, creating a tighter bond between the film and the glass. This one is obviously different, so I'm not sure if the "wait and see" approach will work, but your experience of moving to another OS makes me think that the time it took you to install the new OS allowed the film to cling to the screen more securely.

In either case, I contacted photodon about my issue. Until then, I will test the responsiveness periodically to see if it improves over time. I can only hope because screen-protector availability for this device is rather slim to none.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
  2. cmenice

cmenice Scribbler - Standard Member

I noticed on my last shipment from photodon that they were applying a thin removable film to the top of the screen protector. Is it possible that is attached? Also, you might contact photodon and ask them about it. What model screen protector is it?

Edit: I see now you applied the HD clear which is one of the thinner films I believe. Were you having a touch issue before maybe and you didn't notice? Also how's your driver situation?

3. 3phemeral

It's the Crystal Clear version. I followed a link Stone provided somewhere in another thread.

Also, the film came with two protective sheets. You're supposed to remove one before applying the film and then once it's applied, you remove the second one. They have a sticker that indicates there is an additional cover attached that's not the film, so it's not easy to miss. The stickers even have printed text that indicates which one should be removed first :)

So it's not any of those. The screen protector is perfectly in place. I have to say it's probably the best placement of any screen protector I've ever done. It's just a definite and noticeable loss in touch-recognition sensitivity.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  4. 3phemeral

No significant touch-screen issues. The only issue I had involved dragging windows across the screen. I could never reliably drag a window from one end of the screen to the other without it just dropping; however, typing and scrolling through webpages worked flawlessly.

If it's a driver issue, I'd be super happy that it might be fixed. I did a fresh install of Windows 8 Pro about 2 days ago. Driver wise, I installed the Wacom Feel driver yesterday morning. That didn't affect sensitivity either. I was actually using the screen for a few hours today while waiting for a friend to finish up class. I then headed home to pick up the Crystal Clear film because it was indicated as delivered and proceeded to follow installation instructions as soon as I washed up.

The only real change the system has experienced between using it at school and coming home was the screen protector. But as I said previous, the change was immediately noticeable because I couldn't even unlock the screen without having to press firmly on the screen to get it to recognize my gesture.

5. cmenice

I assume you restarted the machine?

When I got my t902 it came with Windows 7. When I upgraded to Windows 8 I followed the detailed list on Fujitsu's site to install drivers.

It's odd for sure. Photodon is a good company. It would probably be worth it to call them and see if they'll send you another to try or if they have heard about it before.

I don't have issues dragging windows. The touchscreen is very good imo.

6. 3phemeral

The machine has been restarted several times since updating win8 and installing relevant drivers. The unit was also off when I installed the film. Other than the window dragging, I didn't have any issues with the touch sensitivity when it was naked at any point of the OS, driver, or Photoshop installation process.

An additional example is right now, as I scroll up and down from the page, you can see where the screen acknowledges presses. When my finger slides up, you can see that the visual indicator that displays where a touch was registered jumps spots, as if I'm pressing several spots in succession down the path I'm sliding my finger. Normally, you would see a streak instead of several touch spots. Also, while sliding my finger, it also seems to activate the long-press context menu occasionally, as you can see that square the shrinks around your finger when you usually long press over something. Oh, and one last thing as a more appropriate reference: naked, there's some trouble dragging windows but I can still drag a few inches before it stops; with the film, I can't get it to drag at all, it just sort of goes crazy interpreting my touch by either selecting all the items in the window, maximizing the window, etc.

I've already contacted them so I hope I can find a solution. While waiting for a response, I'll check if there's anything wrong with a driver setup, though sensitivity is certainly reduced. I can't image it being anything else. I actually didn't install any additional drivers other than the Wacom Feel one. Since installing Windows 8, the only thing that didn't work immediately was the utility buttons on the corner of the screen. On my ST5112, I had problems when I reinstalled fuji drivers over already working Windows 7 default drivers just because I figured having official ones would mean better performance, so I decided to only install what wasn't recognized or what wasn't working after I moved from Win7 Pro to Win 8. That amounted to the SD Card, the utility buttons, and I think the WiFi. Touch + Pen worked immediately after installation.

But thanks to everyone for all the help. I have no doubt Photodon is a good company, as they come highly recommended here. I'll see if there's anything I can figure out before I hear from them. :)

7. cmenice

This is interesting. What you describe is exactly what was happening to me when I was on Windows 7. I did a fresh install of Windows 8 and it went away. I don't think this is an issue with the screen protector at all. Almost sounds like something with the touch driver is messed up. It might be worth it to install Windows 8 fresh with the screen protector installed. I wonder if there's some touch sensitivity calibration that happens when everything gets setup. I'd probably just reinstall at that point. Just make sure you have everything backed up etc.

8. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

I have these EXACT smae symptoms, and I have the exact same SP as 3phemeral. Could it be the specific SP??
    My other thought is perhaps it is a faulty hardware connection behind the screen, and during your trip home from school it got jostled a little bit, and something shifted inside the mechanim that isn't getting the touch to function right.

Because others have found the same thing to be happening and I doubt they all have the same SP installed:

"Do you have any issues with the machine registering touch while in tablet mode? I've found with mine that touches are registering dozens of times. If I'm in tablet mode and hold my pinky finger down on the screen I can see Windows constantly making the ripple touch graphics around where it thinks my finger is resting. It makes using touch in tablet mode impossible due to the multiple touch registrations or none at all." -http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/fujitsu/54809-t902-5-general-complaints-thus-far.html#post307084

and then later:

"I recall upon receiving this T902 that the screen bezel was open at the bottom on either side of the pivot hinge. I snapped that back into place on my first day of ownership, but Saturday just before filling out the RMA form for the machine I did a number of experiments. One was to sandwich the screen between my hands. I did this all across the screen applying light pressure. There was some sort of snap or click just below the webcam area. Since that experiment I have had no issues with the touch system registering multiple touches. I'm not sure if the shielding was installed improperly or some sort of adhesive didn't take...don't know. That has helped a lot and made me change my mind to keeping the machine.

I do not use a screen protector. It used to be impossible to drag a box across the desktop or trigger a hold-to-right click event. No problems now. When it was acting up the problem seemed to be worst around the webcam and directly over the touchpad while in tablet mode. This made me think it was some sort of shielding issue. Whatever that click or snap was, it was in that area. Maybe it will help you.

I did not fill out that RMA form either. Going to keep this thing." -http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/fujitsu/54809-t902-5-general-complaints-thus-far.html#post307991

Interesting, no? I am too chicken to push too hard on my bezel though! :)

9. 3phemeral

Alright!

Update time. I wasn't able to get to it as soon as I wanted because I had a bunch of things planned tonight, but I decided to go against my better judgement and actually mess with the drivers. My personal history with messing with drivers has always gone bad, so I'm hesitant to give this troubleshooting solution any credence when the unit was working properly prior to installation.

Now, I decided that since this was a brand-new and recent installation of Windows 8, I had nothing to lose in terms of wasted time in transferring files etc, so I deleted all drivers associated with touch and wacom pen functionality. I let the computer reboot and touch was working due to the generic drivers win8 uses, but I forgot to check the pen, so when I noticed my screen was totally not responding to the stylus, I realized I needed to reinstall the fujitsu/wacom drivers to get it working. I went to fuji's site and downloaded the three items related to the pen, which was the wacom digitizer driver, the first firmware release and then the second firmware release and restarted.

Magically, my touch screen is working again(!!!) and without the hassle of taking the film off under the assumption that the install went bad somehow, despite there being no bubbles. I'm kind of pinching myself because I'm not sure if it's going to last considering all logical conclusions pointed to the screen protector itself causing the problem, due to it being the only variable being changed from working vs not working. I'm wondering if there's any effect on sensitivity that changes once the screen protector is applied that requires recalibration afterward. Like how some phones' proximity sensors go crazy when you install a screen protector, so you'd have to go into the phone's hidden settings to adjust the proximity sensor's sensitivity to work properly.

I really don't know why the wacom drivers + the wacom firmware would have anything to do with touch recognition, but it seems to be working so I hope it continues to do so from now on. Now I'm crossing my fingers that nothing else happens, because I'm really super happy that it's working now.

[edit] for clarification, I only unintsalled two drivers, the wacom pen one and something called the "Microsoft input configuration device." Then proceeded to install the three drivers above.

[edit 2] Okay. Something definitely seems strange. I decided to go into the charms bar, chose "change Pc settings" and checked for a windows update and lost all touch and pen functionality. I put the computer to sleep and woke it up and it returned. *scratches head* Upon going to desktop, I saw an error prompt that said "Tablet driver not running." Wonder if I can get that to reproduce (though, I'd rather not want to see it again).

Also! I can actually drag windows without issue now. Amazing!

Thanks for everyone for all the help. Hopefully Stoneseeker will also solve his touchscreen issue as I was totally unwilling to apply pressure to my screen, even if it were just the bezel.

[edit 3]

Sorry for the updates, everyone. I'm testing everything out to see if there's any other issues I can squash. I checked my pen and tablet settings via control panel and there are three of them: pen and touch, pen tablet properties, and tablet pc settings. "Pen and Tablet Properties," the one with the magenta squiggle, gives a "The Tablet driver was not found" error. "Pen and Touch" ironically has no calibration settings. "Tablet PC Settings" contained the calibration tools for pen and touch so I recalibrated and now the touch AND pen are both completely wonky. Why would calibrating them do that? *shakes head*

Shouldn't have to be this complicated. Sheesh!

[final edit before sleep]

Moral of the story is to never calibrate the touch settings when you have a pen enabled. Doing so seems to screw with the system and resetting the calibration data fixed it just fine. Strange discovery, however: When I disabled my wacom pen, I was able to calibrate the touch screen without issues. But installing the wacom drivers again causes some weird conflict after touch calibration, causing the touches to be inverted. I left the default touch calibration intact after fixing the pen, as it worked fine before, so now is right with the world (I hope). I really need some sleep.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  10. cmenice

@3phemeral - I read a while back that Wacom is the manufacturer for both the touch and pen display on the Fujitsu, so this is likely why you are having problems. I don't think it was a good idea removing the Windows touch driver.

At this point, since you have nothing to lose, I would recommend wiping it clean and starting over leaving the screen protector on.