*Official* Fujitsu T902 Thread

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by Zero, Jun 9, 2013.

1. 3phemeral

3phemeral Pen Pal - Newbie

Ouch! Expensive, for sure.

And thanks for your help. In your situation, I wonder if there's a way to modify a cooling system, maybe even just a fan so that you can use as an additional heat-reducing mechanism that takes advantage of the epcie slot to provide power only. I don't know if it would be wise to cut slits where the card exists so that if it were possible, you'd be able to have an extra outlet for heat to dissipate.

[edit] Ooh, and bonus feature from Photodon is that they're located a few cities over, so I get the screen protectors pretty much the day after I order them. Sweet! I also order the Clear HD one in addition to the Max Anti-Glare, but I'll be using the Clear HD one because of the supposed clarity increase even though the other one is sitting at home right now.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2013
  2. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

whoops misunderstanding. I meant its hard enough to keep the HD4000 in the T902 cool. It should preform at 1200ghz consistently when under load, but thermals throttle it back to 650mhz regularily. So I was suggesting if you have heavy 3D planned, you may want to invest in a laptop cooler for your system as it stands now. An external GPU would have a fanned encolsure on your desk, so that would not be an issue.

3. 3phemeral

Ah, I should be fine. I do tinker with #D animation a bit, but I primarily just do a lot of illustration. I have a pretty hefty dual-fan cooling system that works great at keeping my other laptop cool. Since this is likely to become my main PC, I will probably just use that for this tablet instead.

4. stoneseeker

sweet. For the record the T902 has never throttled the CPU or struggled in performance for any heavy CPU lifting or 2D applications. Just when utilizing the GPU and CPU together does the thing get abnormally hot inside... So you should have no problem with performance or throttling for illustrations no matter how massive. You'll only need to use your cooling pad if you want to play some games or work in Maya, Zbrush, etc.

5. darkphantom

darkphantom Scribbler - Standard Member

Anyone know if the BIOS is locked down or can we possibly over/underclock the CPU/iGPU?

6. stoneseeker

locked down for overclocking. But you can use throttle stop to underclock if you need to. There is no thermal headroom to overclock the iGPU anyway.

7. 3phemeral

Hey Stoneseeker, I just applied the photodon Ultra clear screen protector and it seems the touch is off. I tried long-pressing a link to activate the context menu and it's interpreted as rapid single taps. I'm wondering if these screen protectors eventually start showing greater touch sensitivity over time because there seems to be a loss in accuracy for touch recognition. Otherwise, the cut is great and fits perfectly.

[edit] Pen works great without issue. It's just touch that's affected.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
  8. stoneseeker

Hmmm.. you may have just solved something for me! crap. See, my touch has been crapping out, doing EXACTLY what you described, and since I NEVER use touch hardly, it was difficult to pinpoint when it started.
    Another user mentioned the T902 (without a screen protector) behaving similarily and he pressed hard on the screen near the webcam and it made a popping sound and it fixed his problem...?? So I always thought I just had received a bum touch screen or the connection was poor, etc etc, never suspecting the screen protector..

Quick question: you sure it worked perfectly fine before you applied it??

Try this: place the tablet down on the table and without touching the tablet with anything , try using touch. It behaves poorly. NOW, grab the tablet with your other hand, gripping it tightly, and making a solid connection with the edge of the screen (the bezel) and now try to use touch with your other hand. Is it working better now? See, mine does much better when I ground it with my body. I seem to remember before ever applying the screen protector that this was an issue, but I can't remember for sure.

If you really value finger touch, you may have to return your screen protector. THey might give you your money back since I think they guarantee it won't interfere with touch. ...that sucks though cause I love the screen protector, and feel it preserves the screen and enhances it nicely. Since I don't really use touch at all, just pen, its a bit of a non-issue for me.

If you do decide to remove it, please let us know if the problem is resolved. That will confirm that my issue is indeed the screen protector. Perhaps the anti-glare doesn't have this issue??? I sorta doubt they would effect things differently though.

9. 3phemeral

I actually operated my unit primarily using touch because I was afraid using the pen before I got a screen protector. I had sufficient time with the touchscreen because I've actually been setting up my system, installing programs, and browsing the net and responding to this forum using the touch functionality (as painful as it was to type longer messages with the virtual keyboard).

Actually, I have three different pads I use to prop the tablet up depending on where I am: A plastic pad with a felt surface that uses USB fans for cooling, an aluminum mesh base that can be propped up using several different angles with no electrical capacity, and another cooling pad that's painted-over black aluminum that uses a plug-in outlet to power the fans -- none of them provided any difference in touch-screen use. Not even using the unit in my lap or having it balanced on one knee affected the sensitivity. But as soon as I applied the screen protector, I noticed that swiping up the lock screen, the image wouldn't actually unlock. It was as if I only partially swiped the screen, the image actually just slid upward slightly and slid back down again, locking the unit. I actually had to press firmly to get it to unlock.

Typing proved even more difficult as it wouldn't register my fingers unless I pressed firmly, and when I pressed firmly, the touch was registered as multiple taps rather than a long press, causing the letter to be typed multiple times.

I actually quite like the touch capability as when I'm not drawing, I use that as my go-to navigational tool. My fingertips :)

It looks like I might have to remove it. I checked their website and they mention this:

Unfortunately, the sample screen wasn't a good indicator because you can often get it to recognize touch input to some degree, but it's when you try to swipe between screen, type on a keyboard quickly, or generally larger touch motions where it's immediately noticeable. It's too small to determine touch, I think, but fine for determining visual quality.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  10. cmenice

cmenice Scribbler - Standard Member

I just wanted to throw out issues I had with touch and Photodon screen protectors. When I first put the sp on touch worked very poorly. I thought touch worked pretty poorly to begin with, but the screen protector made it much better. I thought it was the screen protector.

I solved the issue by moving to Windows 8. For some reason, whether drivers etc, on Windows 8, the touchscreen works flawlessly with the Photodon sp. No issues. So if you are running windows 7, that might be your issue. Windows 8 solved the issue for me.