*Official* Fujitsu T902 Thread

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by Zero, Jun 9, 2013.

1. darkphantom

darkphantom Scribbler - Standard Member

Just picked up my t902...i5 3320m, 4gb ram, 256gb ssd. :D

2. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

nice! slam another 4 gigs in that thing to make sure the ram doesn't bottleneck your machine in photoshop! You have windows 8 or 7 ? 64 bit?

3. 3phemeral

3phemeral Pen Pal - Newbie

I finally bit the bullet and picked up a T902. I've had a ST5112 and a 12wx for about two years now and I found myself using the Stylistic more than my Cintiq. Picked up an i7 with 2GB RAM and a 500GB HD at Amazon and upgraded to a 256GB SSD and 16 GB of RAM. Crazy seller wanted an extra grand for the 16GB version when it costs 130.00 for 8x2 modules. :eek: Funny thing is that this is more powerful than the laptop I was running my 12wx on. I took stone's suggestion and picked up a photodon screen protector that will be arriving tomorrow.

I was hesitant about installing Win8 but I got a student discount and it feels really responsive compared to 7 pro. I've only had one weird issue with the cursor jumping all over the place while typing via touch screen, but that doesn't really cause any issue other than just getting in the way visually; it doesn't activate any buttons. Just acts like I'm spazzing out on the mouse.

I'm currently installing/updating Adobe Master Collection 5.5 and am waiting until I get my screen protectors before I try drawing.

I was reading that you could use felt-tip nubs for the pen: where can I find those that work with the T902's stylus?

Also, I was thinking about picking up a case and the HD modular kit + the extra battery (though, battery life on this thing for casual use is amazing already) but can't seem to find it. Does anyone know where I can pick up these things or can suggest cases?

Thanks so much!

Last edited: Jun 25, 2013
  4. darkphantom

4gb? LOL

I just ordered 16gb from newegg for $107. DDR3 1600mhz 2x8gb G.Skill and I ordered a Crystal clear film from Photodon.

I'm also swapping out that 320gb crap-drive with my 256gb SSD that's running in my T5010.

^_^ Can't wait! :D

Congrats! I got the modular battery from Fujitsu themselves. They send you the "kit."

5. 3phemeral

Huh. Thanks! I could have sworn when I last checked, they no longer offered it. I'll check again since I obviously missed something.

The only thing I'm curious about now is a decent case, if one exists (I saw the leather folio that seemed like an odd design, but it seems the only option) and the mSATA port being used for a portable graphics card. This is the first time I've heard about something like that so I have no idea what kind of uses it would have, but Stoneseeker mentioned it in another thread and it has my interest piqued. I'm really wondering what added functionality that could have because it seems like it could be rather useful.

6. stoneseeker

For accessories like the modular HDD adapter and modular bay battery just order direct from Fujitsu store, unless your in the states and can use the official Fujitsu Ebay outlet.

I don't use the stock pen ( I use a axiotron modbook pen) but you can order felt nibs through Wacom, or more commonly, get a nib pack from Ebay. Just be sure to measure your nib in your pen first to match the specs. Spring loaded ones feel nice too, but the felt nibs feel nice and toothy.

Psyched to have more T902 owners around here! This thing still has me excited to work everyday! Blazing fast, handles my scenes and rendering and large high res screen. BAttery life is killer for Ivy bridge too. It's still got some issues, but as close to perfect as I can find in this market.

Try ordering a PL-900 (UP-817E) pen if your going to be drawing a lot on it. Or the new bamboo Feel pen. Both will give a bit more control and ergonomics.. http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/microsoft/55416-tabletpc-compatible-wacom-pens-work-surface-pro.html

7. 3phemeral

This is great. After the previous post, I was able to find Fujitsu's store easily whereas before, I could only find a list of products they offered with no direction on where to buy. I will definitely check out that ebay fujitsu outlet.

Was there any progress on that mSATA/ePCIE portable graphics card thing you mentioned before? The discussion seemed to stop after a bit in the other thread. I'm super curious about what additional functionality that could bring, other than just an alternative primary HD (which is already awesome enough as is in terms of portability requirements).

And I'm super excited to finally get one of these. I initially bought the ST5112 as a portable backup solution to my 12wx, but I found I used it way more because of the portability, despite how seamless Dropbox made much of the file-syncing process. It was just running Win7 x86 and could only feasibly use a little more than 3 GB of RAM, so it would get sooo sluggish on larger, multi-layered projects, especially for simple just-for-fun animated-gif creations. I hardly used my 12wx because I was rarely at home, if ever, unless it was for sleep.

8. darkphantom

lol, I'm going to be spending more than I bargained for with this T902...I got the refurb from the fujitsu ebay store ($880) because my current T5010 was also a refurb (bought it for ~$950ish 5 years ago). It has JUST started to slow down, even with the SSD so I figured time for an upgrade.

I am interested in this mSATA graphics card o_O

Also, I do draw ALOT, especially recently. What other pen options do we have? I'm looking into the Axion and the other one in your link.

p.s. someone PLEASE find me the backlit keyboard for the T902 D: I am dying for one!

9. 3phemeral

I didn't know about the Fujitsu Ebay outlet until today and I'm kicking myself because they have a fully loaded T902 refurb on auction right now. Not sure how much it'll eventually go for, but it's got an extra battery module with an active WWAN port, 16GB RAM, and backlit keyboard AND if it goes for less than what I paid for my current unit, I'll be fuming...just a bit, though. Had I not known about this refurb, I wouldn't be bothered as I still love this thing so far. I can't wait to draw on it once my screen protectors come in. :)

10. stoneseeker

Don't worry I spent $2600 plus $800 for ram and SSD. You Americans got it lucky.

I don't think anyone has successfully used a external GPU with the T902, just the T901, because it had a expresscard slot. Unfortunate for sure, but the HD4000 does alright.
    It's just tough to keep it cool enough to run at full speed. A laptop cooling stand with fans helps a lot if your gonna game or do 3D work at a desk.

To get an answer for sure, try asking here in a new thread: Graphics Card Forum, eGPU
    See if anyone can tell you what you need/how to check if it's possible to run an external GPU from your mSATA port. Keep in mind our BIOS doesn't even recognize the mSATA exists unless you ordered a caching mSATA drive custom from Fujitsu, then it comes with a different BIOS. It still is useable, but it may not be as easy to configure as other systems. Still not even sure if our mSATA is compatible as a PCIe port.