*Official* Fujitsu T902 Thread

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by Zero, Jun 9, 2013.

1. cmenice

cmenice Scribbler - Standard Member

Just an FYI, I've been following along here and I'm glad to see you working out the details of the T902 Steve. New machines always have their quirks, but it sounds like you're getting it the way you want. I certainly know I had it working the way I wanted and some of the things you consider issues never bothered me!

Also, it's always hard changing the way things work and adopting new ways on newer machines :) (or losing the Lenovo nub). Cheers!

2. whatsupdoc

whatsupdoc Pen Pal - Newbie

Just picked up a new T902 from Newegg.

It is the latest preconfigured i5 w/ the updated 3340m, 8gb RAM and backlit keyboard. (SPFC-T902-004)
    It's a nice package. To me, the 3-year warranty was worth a little extra $ over the Ebay refurbs.
    I am currently running the factory installed Win7 Pro. Win8 disks are included - I plan to upgrade to Win8.1 soon.

I am still getting familiar with it. Overall I am quite pleased with the purchase.
    It's definitely a welcomed upgrade from the T4220.

I do have a couple of preliminary observations/questions...

1) No pen glitch yet after three days of drawing on Sketchbook Pro and Photoshop CS6.
    I know Stoneseeker was interested if the latest version of T902 resolved the pen problem. So far so good.
    I would be happy to perform a test to replicate the glitch issue - if such a test is possible.

2) The cooling fan is definitely quite active, even at idle or low CPU usage.
    It's not annoying to me, but definitely oscillates on a regular basis, even if the system does not appear to be taxed.

3) I have experienced freezes right after waking up from sleep mode. This happened while launching various applications like SketchUp, PS, Internet Explorer, Chrome.
    I thought maybe I was start the programs before the wake-up process is completed. I have not seen this on other PCs I've used.
    Any advice on this - maybe graphics driver issue?

3)The hinge feels quite a bit looser than my old T4220. For most angles, it is not an issue -- the screen still holds it's position even when using pen or multi-touch.
    My main concern is that at about 25 degrees from horizontal (w/ screen facing up), it starts to droop down to the flat position. This can be a problem for me in certain positions using notebook mode. The T4220 has consistent hinge grab/friction through the entire range of motion, but not the T902. I understand the T902 hinge action maybe different to account for the lack of latch.
    Is this typical of the hinge in other T902s? Can the hinge be adjusted?

Like I said before, I am quite pleased with the T902. This machine appears to suit my needs quite well.

Thanks.

3. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Do you think the 2 finger scrolling option is unique to windows 8 driver? My synaptics is V7.2 and there is no visible option for 2 finger scrolling in the driver menu, only one finger scrolling. I wouldn't mind the ability to 2 finger scroll though. I have gotten pretty proficient with single finger scrolling I supose.

I wonder if the newer T902's released with windows 8 have slightly different touchpads.

4. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

If I double tap the Multi-Touch setting, two-finger scroll is an option under it, rather than under scrolling. Check the box for it there. THEN I also had to double tap the Two-finger Scrolling heading (or tap the gear icon to the right of it), at which point a separate window opened, which I then could use to apply the details of how I wanted to two-finger scroll. Kind of a PITA but it worked. I'll see if I can take some screen shots if it doesn't work for you.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  5. whatsupdoc

whatsupdoc Pen Pal - Newbie

Stoneseeker,
    On my T902 with Win7 and Synaptic 7.2, there is a Two-Finger Flick option under Application Gestures.
    This allows for two-finger scrolling on my touch pad - though the screen movement is pretty choppy.
    Do you see this on your version?

6. Steve B

It's pretty responsive on mine, but I agree that the experience is somehow "smoother" on a Mac-- it's almost like it's too responsive on the t902. I've tried slowing down the scrolling speed down to the lowest setting for when I want to "scroll while reading" (which means, very slowly), but I've enabled "coasting", which means if I let go it smoothly, but slightly more quickly scrolls down the page. It has helped-- it's still pretty fast anyways, honestly. Though still not as smooth as a Mac.

WAY better than before though. I actually found it almost unusable for browsing and scrolling, honestly, because it was so frustrating to scroll around.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  7. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Whatsupdoc: yep, I just found that. Looks like windows 7 and 8 drivers are very different from eachother. It' not 2 finger "scrolling" in win 7, it just teleports you to another spot in the browser. Choppy is an understatement, but I don't think its supposed to be a scroll.

Steve: Heres what our look like,
    synaptics.JPG
    sounds like you need windows 8 to get those options you have. They sound the same as the options and experience as the Duo13 synaptics touchpad I have messed with.

8. Steve B

Bummer! Though the side scrolling honestly works pretty well too.

I'm still having this issue with an overactive fan that just turns on all the time. Does you guys fans turn on during Sleep Mode? My computer actually ran a scan from Windows Defender at 400 this morning, while in Sleep. I came down to the kitchen, made coffee, etc. Lid was closed, as it had been all night. Fan starts running, goes for a bit, turns off. Few minutes later, fan starts running again, etc. Is this weird to anyone else? Or is this a Windows 8 thing? My little slate doesn't do this. I put it into sleep, and it goes to sleep.

I admit that I'm sorta freaky/ finicky about sound. I actually went through this whole process on my x200t, where I took the HDD out and ran the device without the HDD, just to figure out what was making all the sound. It's actually what led me to get a SSD, not the speed improvements So, take my complaints with a grain of salt. STILL, I don't mind the fan sound, just that it's intermittent and repeated. I'd actually prefer just a simple very low grade fan noise that went all the time, versus this sort of Dr Jekell/ Mr Hyde experience I have going on between beautifully silent/ sort noisy.

I actually tried uninstalling the latest Intel drivers, as I had read that PhotoMius actually had a similar issue with the fan, and that it occurred after updating the driver. I downloaded the older driver from the Fujitsu US page to replace it. But my t902 told me it couldn't install the older driver because "This computer does not mean the minimum requirements to install this software". It's actually the same thing my q552 tries to tell me when I tried to install various Intel drivers.

So, instead, I tried to run the Intel Driver Update Utility that they host on their website. That fails though. But it told me I either have issues with my Firewall, or I needed to install the "Active X/ Java Installer". I try do so, but it doesn't change anything. I don't know how to find out if I have any issues with my Firewall though.

It's all very strange. Honestly, the fan isn't loud, it just goes on way more than I'd want it to. It also is going on while the device is in Sleep Mode. This is troubling and concerning to me, because I'd like to be transporting it in Sleep, but with the fan going??? That seems worrisome. I suppose I can just turn it on and off. Windows 8 does boot so fast. Or I can try the fan utility we spoke of. But I sort of wanted to find out why it was doing this.

I'll try and run the temp test, but I gotta tell you, nothing feels hot in the least, and nothing is really running in the background

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  9. cmenice

cmenice Scribbler - Standard Member

Hey Steve, what about trying to put the computer into hibernation vs. sleep. I think in hibernation that fans won't run, but it should startup faster than from being powered down. Also, I think the T902 starts up in about 10-15 seconds from being completely powered down. I've read that laptops are still technically running while in sleep mode, which might be why the fans go on from while sleeping.

10. Steve B

I've also been pondering different screen protectors Has any used the NuShield Day Vue ones? This Photodon one isn't bad at all, honestly-- it actually has a wonderful texture to write on, but it diffuses reflections through its semi-matte finish instead of sort of "canceling" them out the way an anti-reflective layer does. Oddly, Anti-Reflective SP's are actually more glossy, but they do a magic thing where you can really easily "see through" the reflections. Comparatively, Anti-Glare SP's (like this Photodon MXH) are usually semi-matte and diffuse reflections through a sort of "softening" process.

I went outside yesterday to try out the two computers side by side. Of course, the x200t Superbright Outdoor worked better. I expected that. It's 400 nits and has an Anti-Reflective layer. If I turned the screen away from the light, so it was in shadow, the reflections were pretty nil. It's quite readable like that. But I was surprised by how bright the t902 looked, even though it has a 300 nit rating. It actually looked "brighter" than the x200t-- I think it's because of the higher contrast ratio. The whites looked quite white, and the black's rich and black. It clearly helps with readability. Sadly, the sky and the clouds were very reflective even when I had it facing away from the sun, which made it quite difficult for even basic map building, which is all I really need it to do. Thus, how I began to think that perhaps just a different SP would do the trick, as it's clearly "bright" enough to pop, if I can just get the reflections under control.

Alternately, this may finally get me to institute my basic 2 computer idea-- one for work, in the field (for notes, inputting expenses, referencing maps and docs, and basic basemap building), and one for indoors (for art, complete map making, browsing, and playing, and client presentations). I've been sort of lazy about figuring out how to run things on a slate like my q552, and have pretty much been running almost everything on my x200t. But the fact that the t902 is clearlybetter than my x200t at art and desktop usage while being worse at working in the field may help me stretch some. Maybe I'll end up with two devices more fully utilized, but each will somehow be better at the more specialized thing they do?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013