*Official* Fujitsu T901 Thread

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by benjim, Apr 20, 2011.

1. benjim

benjim Pen Pal - Newbie

Core i5-2520, 6GB ram, 120GB OCZ 2 SSD
    $2400 AU including upgrades.

With my dying, 4 yr old T4215 on its last legs, I decided it was time to get a new convertible tablet. I briefly owned a Panasonic CF-C1, but promptly returned due to the unusable quality of the screen as a tablet. I decided to go back to Fujitsu with the T901.

Compared to my old T4215, it clearly is four generations ahead in terms of technology. The screen however, on the T901, does darken a little when you shift from the vertical plane. It's still perfectly readable, unlike the Panasonic C1 I had briefly, but I think the T4215 was able to hold it's brightness for longer. Also a noticable grain or speckle, but not as much as the T4215. Overall, a beautiful screen.

In terms of build quality, I personally feel the T4215 felt more solid, more durable. Far less screen flex or give when you push against the back screen (T4215 had litte, Panasonic C1 hand abosolutely none). The plastic used in the T901 just feels cheap, atleast compared to the T4215 and C1. The C1 felt incredibaly well built, and it should for a toughbook. If it had a decent screen I'd be typing on it now. I actually wish the T901 had a handstrap.

Then there's the issue of the near impossible to remove screws on the T901. Perhaps it's just the unit I got, but the screws almost wore out their groove in my attempts to unscrew them. Tiny bits of metal could be seen scraping off. The ram container was fine, but the hard drive and the hard drive bay were a nightmare.

Still happy to put in the SDD. From cold boot to functional desktop in under 30 secs is amazing. Very snappy indeed.

Anymore questions, fire away. I'll be happy to answer if I can.

2. Maeth

Maeth Tablet newcomer

I would love to see pictures of the unit, especially the screen to see just how grainy it is. Thanks!

3. benjim

benjim Pen Pal - Newbie

Sorry, pics can't really show the grain or speckle. But here are some anyway.

From high up.

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

From down low.

[​IMG]

Front on

[​IMG]

Close up.

[​IMG]

4. maradori

maradori Pen Pal - Newbie

wah wah wah wah T901, jealous!!!

5. monkey13

monkey13 Scribbler - Standard Member

hi benjim,
    thanks for your first impressions on the t901.
    i'm still with my old t4215 (after 4 years i'm still impressed by its build quality and design, especially in the palm rest area).

i wonder how the battery life is on the t901, especially in every day use (internet+word, artrage, onenote).

and what do you think about its weight? according to the data sheet it should even be a tick lighter than the 4215.

do you find the display easier on the eyes (grain, contrast) and is it still readable in indirect sunlight?

and lastly: speaking of the build quality, is there anything creaking (plastic parts) or flimsy (like the dvd/bluray drive cover being somewhat loose)?

thanks again for sharing your experience! and have a nice time using your new lifebook!

6. benjim

benjim Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi monkey,

- Battery life is much better on the T901 then the T4215. On the T4215 I would typically only get around two hrs. Haven't really tested the battery but my only run on battery power lasted 5 hrs with still about 10 % showing. When I had the ecopower saver on and using Word, wireless off, after an hr the battery only went down by 10% so the advertised battery life of 9.5 hrs is probably possible, but u really cripple the system. I'm guessing real world usage like wireless internet, office docs would see you get around five hrs.

- It feels a little lighter, but that might be due to the weight being more spread out over the larger footprint. It's easier to hold as a tablet because of this.

- Display is sharper with much less grain. Easier on the eyes. Also, I found the T4215 only readable at the highest few brightness settings. The T901 is readable at it's lowest. Haven't taken it out into the sun yet, but my T4215 was never readable in direct sun.

- No creaking anywhere. What makes it feel less well built is the feel of the plastic, the latch which doesn't always latch as easily as the T4215, the terrible screws at the back.

Another major differece is the heat, or lack of it. This thing is really cool. The T4215 got pretty hot and uncomfortable to hold as a tablet at times, not with the T901. Still not as cool as the Panasonic C1.

7. Nardu

Nardu Pen Pal - Newbie

thanks for the info!
    battery live sounds really impressive
    is this with only the main battery or are you using a bay battery as well?

8. benjim

benjim Pen Pal - Newbie

Just played an avi rip for an hr through the HDMI, extended desktop. While downloading updates through wifi, it wasted 20% battery. It drained even less when I wasn't d/l updates. This is with the SDD in place.

I think it's safe to say you'd get atleast four hours off one charge

9. tabuser

tabuser Pen Pal - Newbie

Is this with the Berliner glass or touchscreen? And I'd appreciate finding out how outdoor visibility is. Thanks.

Also, any chance you could load up a standard 8.5x11 pdf and check for general readability in portrait mode?

10. benjim

benjim Pen Pal - Newbie

General readbility is good. Sorry can't test outdoor visibility now. It's 2am here in Sydney.

This is with the touch screen. Good for scrolling, zooming in and out, not much else. It just gets in the way most of the time when trying to use the pen. Trying to find an easy way to turn it off an on again quickly like the Panasonic C1.

Having problems getting pressure sensitivity in Artrage.