Office Touch Preview (Windows 10 only)

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by jhoff80, Feb 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Links from Neowin:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/apps/word-preview/9wzdncrfjb9s
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/apps/excel-preview/9wzdncrfjbh3
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/apps/powerpoint-preview/9wzdncrfjb5q

I can't compare directly at the moment, but it appears to be very similar to the Android tablet version.

Edit: I will say that right off the bat, I can see one major loss of functionality from the desktop version. To me, it's insane that they don't think "Presenter View" is important enough to include (at least in the first Preview release they don't include it). Huge downgrade there.

Edit 2: Errrr, never mind, it was a checkbox I had to enable first.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
    dceggert likes this.
  2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Unless I missed it, there is no ink support. Maybe (after verifying) we should request this in the feedback app. I typed up a short one (hit the smiley on the touch word toolbar which opens the feedback app, and search for 'ink'), but maybe you have other suggestions.

Edit: I should probably have thrown in some keywords like 'stylus', 'wacom' etc. If anyone feels like formulating a more eloquent feature request, be my guest!

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  3. jhoff80

I've done a little more playing around and I'm not all that impressed. I mean, for the features that this does, Office 2013 is already touch friendly. The stuff that isn't touch friendly in Office 2013 just doesn't exist in this app.

That's about what I expected, but still was hoping for a little more. But then, I'm probably not the target audience for this anyway. I assume they're targeting people who have a need for a very small subset of Office's features, and I bet those people really appreciate a simplified version.

At least this makes it easy for me, I don't have to wonder if I'm going to need two versions of Office installed to manage between...

Although having said all of that, this will be a gigantic improvement over Windows Phone Office once we get the Windows 10 phone preview eventually.

And I guess I should mention this, but I'm not sure it's due to the Office Touch Preview: I did have two blue screens so far in my testing. Could be a coincidence though (and I actually haven't seen this happen since installing today's Windows Update either).

4. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

During the Windows 10 launch, Microsoft was targeting the Touch Version for the Mobile SKU (no desktop, no Win32 programs) and SST under 8", so we're not the target for the suite on our larger or legacy tablets. I look forward touting it on my Lumia 1520 and on my Dell Venue Pro 8.

5. jhoff80

I'd still rather have Office 2013 if I still had an 8" tablet though too.

But on my phone, like I said, this would be a drastic improvement from the terrible WP 8.1 Office app. :D

6. jhoff80

So there was a second updated version that was pushed out shortly after the initial release because Microsoft put the wrong version in the store at first. Looks now like that update does not have a working Presenter View. I guess that feature just isn't ready. That was what I was playing with the two times that I got a blue screen from this preview, but that could just be a coincidence.

7. CF77

CF77 Love Tablet. Senior Member

I still have win7 and office 2010..
    does anyone know
    "can I continue using office 2010"?
    "do I have to reinstall office 2010? after win 1- upgrade?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.