Office 2016 touch problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by dbrn, Nov 12, 2015.

1. dbrn

dbrn Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm running a fully legit version of Office 2016 Pro on my Win 10 SP3 and have discovered a weird glitch - at least I hope it's a glitch.

With Office 2013, even under Win 10, on the SP3 you could touch the screen to get a 'touch cursor' that was bigger than the normal cursor, with a 'hollow circle' at the bottom. Touching the circle and dragging across text worked like holding the left mouse button and dragging the cursor across text - the text was selected (ie hilited gray) and could be copied, cut, deleted, etc. as one item. That was perfect.

With Word and Powerpoint 2016, the touch cursor is still there but the drag-to-select functionality is gone. Doing the same motion simply moves the cursor without selecting the intervening text. This is stupid and terrible.

BUT, for some reason, my OneNote 2016 retains the drag-to-select function.

Anyone else experiencing this? I can't find anything about it anywhere on the internats...

2. barnesgj

barnesgj Scribbler - Standard Member

I have Office 2016 on my SP4 and it works the same way. If I touch text the hollow circle appears and when I slide it over the text, it just moves the cursor. The pen selects the text fine.

dbrn likes this.
  3. dbrn

dbrn Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks barnesgj. So now it's either a widespread flaw or intentional on Microsoft's part, which would really suck. I guess I'm off to the Microsoft forums next. I'll post anything I learn back here.

4. zenpilgrim

zenpilgrim Pen Pal - Newbie

Same on my SP3, I get a box and dragging it just moves the cursor. If I want to select text, I double tap a word with my finger and it is "highlighted" in grey and has a circle drag point on each end to allow for dragging and selecting text. I actually prefer it to the other method but that is just me.