Odd pen/touchscreen anomaly (TM2)

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TM2 (Wacom)' started by jeanarthur, Mar 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeanarthur

jeanarthur Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello!

I ordered the german version of the TM2 (HP TouchSmart tm2-1090eg Notebook-PC). I like it very much but i discovered something odd.

When using the digitizer pen at a specific location on the screen the cursor is
    behaving oddly.

Instead of following the pen in a line, it makes a curvy move.
    I'm uploading a video to youtube right now, since for you to see what i mean!

I'm in touch with the german HP tech support. They told me to update Bios and drivers, but it all didn't help. Even completely without the Wacom drivers (just the generic Microsoft installs when theres no driver there) the phenomenon persists.
    According to the tech assistant HP is aware of other customers having this problem, too.

And it gets even stranger. This only happens in when I have the screen folded to the tablet mode.
    If the Display is open like any other notebook, the problem is gone!

Now I tried lifting the display when in tablet mode and as soon as I lift it about 0.5-1cm it worked fine again!

WTF? Are there some strange electric or magnetic fields or intereference effects coming from the body disturbing the Wacom digitizer pen?? :D

I still have a couple of days left to send the unit back (we have a 14-day long right to return after buying online here).

Has anybody else here noticed something alike?

I will post the youtube links in a couple of minutes.

Here is the first Youtube Vid I promised:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9kOGZAFm3Q

Here is a second Youtube Video showing that the problem disappears when lifting the display.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvuNtZQbRVQ

Btw, calibrating and such made the problem just worse. It's best in uncalibrated standard state.

2. Dave_S

Dave_S Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes, I have that problem too. In portrait orientation the top left is affected. In landscape it's the bottom left (the start button) that's the problem.

3. jeanarthur

hi dave s

does it also only happen in tablet mode?

4. Dave_S

Dave_S Pen Pal - Newbie

I've only tried it in tablet mode. That's the only way l use the pen.

5. mengela

mengela Pen Pal - Newbie

try to reset calibration

6. jeanarthur

I tried everything. I found 2 locations where I could calibrate and I also reset it.
    Also i went through the whole procedure of calbrating, driver checking and BIOS flashing on the HP tech support line... (They just never trust you :p)

It seems to have nothing to do with the calibration.
    As soon as i lift the lid a little, it works just fine!
    If I lift the lid gradually the misplacement of the cursor gets better gradually, too.

For me it seems like either the body is interfering somehow with the digitizer tech, or maybe by closing the lid something happens mechanicallyand affects it...?!

7. Dave_S

Dave_S Pen Pal - Newbie

I've tried it now: it happens in tablet mode and with the lid in normal notebook mode. Calibration doesn't help here either.

I've got a call in with HP Support about touch and pen not working in portrait orientation with the ATI High performance graphics, so I'm hoping if they fix that it might sort this problem too.

8. jeanarthur

hm, it's strange that it happens in normal notebook mode too.
    because as soon as I lifte or swivel the display in tablet mode in disappears.
    do you have the same symptoms? then maybe you should try the command line calibration mentioned in another thread here.

9. Dave_S

Dave_S Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm a bit reluctant to try that because I've now been able to get touch and pen to work with the ATI high-performance graphics in portrait orientation (by reinstalling the Wacom drivers), albeit on a temporary basis - touch and pen stops working if I change anything like start-up programs, etc. So it's all a bit shaky and I think I'll put up with the pen problem as long as touch in portrait orientation works.

10. jeanarthur

I see.

I'd be interested if other users have my problem too, or not?! Please post here.