Odd bug on HP TM2. Other tablets also affected?

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by nordloewelabs, Oct 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

as an addition to the database i'm also experiencing the issue on the x61 tablet.

2. jgjackson

jgjackson Scribbler - Standard Member

It's a bug in the application's interaction with the TIP. If the text you write is a whole word and your insert point is at the end of a non-empty line of text, then the TIP helpfully inserts a space. It appears that the application you are using is treating the second and subsequent lines of text as non-empty. I can't get this to happen with any Microsoft apps.

3. nordloewelabs

nordloewelabs Scribbler - Standard Member

i dont think the applications are to blame. here is why:

1) the bug affects Microsoft Visual C# Express 2005;
    2) the bug affects Microsoft Works 9;
    3) in another thread, user thierryb reported Microsoft Office 2010 beta was affected too.
    4) no program -- from any company -- is affected when using WinXP Tablet Ed.

my belief is that Microsoft broke something during the implementation of the Handwriting Recognition in Vista and Win7. everything worked correctly on XP! i know that because i own an old HP-TC1100 (still works) and have been using the handwriting capabilities of TabletPCs for 4 years. my old TC-1100 (WinXP) and my new TM2 (Win7) have the same set of applications installed. even the version numbers are the same. for example, both tablets have Firefox 3.6.10.

only tablets with Vista and Win7 are affected. there might not be a solution for this ever, but it does suck that Microsoft is gradually letting Apple eat its pie.

4. pwnsweet

pwnsweet Pen Pal - Newbie

I can confirm the problem also exists with the HP 2730p.

I've noticed that the problem is different depending on the application and the scenario. ie, in IE8 I get a space before and a space after the text I want to insert if the text that I want to insert doesn't form a word with the letters preceeding the text and the letters following the text. For example, if I insert the word 'xy' between the 's' and the 'i' of the word 'pressing' the result is 'press xy ing'. However if I insert the word 'ure', I get 'pressure ing'. Furthermore, if I insert the word 'lik' I get 'press liking'. Finally, if I insert the word 'ur' I get 'pressuring'.

This suggests to me that when and where a space is introduced is context sensitive and seems to depend on the results of the inbuilt dictionary. If a word can be formed, then it is. If not, a space is introduced. It should be noted that a space is never introduced when a single letter is inserted mid-word.

Opera 10.63 behaves the same as IE8, except it also inserts a space after pressing enter to go to a new line and then writing some text. I've noticed this same behavior in any application that doesn't automatically come up with the Tablet Input Panel (TIP) when you go to write in a text box (ie, any application that requires you to gesture with a flick of the stylus or manually open the TIP by selecting it from the edge of the screen).

5. nordloewelabs

nordloewelabs Scribbler - Standard Member

i just did a test. you're right! however, i remember cases -- back when i got my TM2 in April-- in which adding an L to WORD resulted in WOR LD. it's been a while, though, so i might be mixing things in my mind. on the other hand, i remember clearly that adding a second letter O to the preposition TO, does result in TO O.

it happens in all browsers....even Safari. the only exception is IE.

on Notepad++ the TIP functionality seems to work properly. i mean, i dont need to shake the pen to invoke the Input Panel. yet, the extra spaces are added when handwriting on Notepad++ too. but i agree with you, the problem seems to be related to the internal dictionary. when handwriting numbers without commas, everything works as it should. however, if the numbers have commas extra spaces are added too.

i have tried to get help at Microsoft's Answers Forums but the company does not have a TabletPC expert/user/enthusiast monitoring the discussions there. :confused: great way to support to a technology they have championed for a decade and whose future might be overshadowed by Apple and Google.

With the HP Slate 500 coming out this week, Microsoft will be forced to address this issue sooner or later. that's because slate tablets have no physical keyboard and people rely on their Input Panels for a lot of their tasks. right now, most people only use the pen on OneOnote and IE, they havent noticed the bug.

if there's anyone else here who feels bothered by this bug, voice your dissastisfaction on the Micorosft Answers Forum.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  6. pwnsweet

I've also noticed this happening despite the fact that it's inserting a single letter, but for whatever reason the incidence of it occurring is inconsistent. Sometimes it'll happen but usually (I find) it doesn't.

I just tested that myself a few times and I got 'too' every time.

I don't know what Notepad++ is, but Notepad is consistent with my theory that any application that has the small TIP icon does not suffer from an auto-space after an ENTER.

7. pwnsweet

I used my tablet to handwrite an email this morning and I nearly threw it at the wall after it inserted auto-spaces every time I pressed ENTER or went back to correct or insert something.

This has got to stop. I've gone ahead and called Microsoft Tech Support and directed them to the thread over at Microsoft answers forum in hope that they finally address this issue once and for all. Windows 7 is a great OS, Microsoft's best in my opinion, but this issue is a very large black spot on an otherwise beautiful face.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  8. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

What email client were you using? This isn't just a Windows issue as I use Office, Outlook, IE and even other non-Microsoft products and I don't see this issue.

It is a problem with Firefox and Chrome however from my testing.

9. pwnsweet

I was using Opera to write my email in the Yahoo email client. I have personally conducted the above tests with the word 'pressing' in IE and Microsoft Word with the same results, so it definitely does happen in Microsoft made programs. As I said above, the behavior of the bug differs based on whether the TIP icon appears automatically or if the TIP needs to be manually 'called' to appear.

Heatlesssun, please perform the 'pressing' test I performed above on your TM2t in Microsoft Word and/or IE8 and report your results. I'm confident the issue will occur exactly as stated above. If it doesn't, we can conclude the issue is OS independent given we are both using the same OS.

10. SDreamer

SDreamer Scribbler - Standard Member

Hmmm... I tried this in a couple programs (Notepad, Word, Wordpad) and I could not replicate what is going on. I tried the test suggested, and just tried writing some short sentences, no extra spaces for me. My device is a new HP tm2t. Thought I'd just post my findings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.