OCR software

Discussion in 'Software' started by Tsukiyomi, Jun 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aparna

aparna Pen Pal - Newbie

I would like to know which is a suitable OCR s/w, as i have got tables adn numbers in them. How gud is Pegasus ImgeExpress?
    Also I need to export it to excel. OR do I need to play around with the SDK?

2. QuachMD

QuachMD Pen Pal - Newbie

Just an update: I was really not impressed with the OmniPage initially, but since their update to OmniPage15, the character recognition is much improved. It's good enough now that I actually bought a copy.

3. ???????

??????? Pen Pal - Newbie

The best OCR for me is still Microsoft Document Imaging. It lacks all the fancy stuff like tables, send to excel, automatic formatting etc. But for pure text recognition and ease of use, it surpasses all others.

It comes with mostoversions of microsoft office.

4. gordoncahill

gordoncahill Scribbler - Standard Member

OneNote has OCR of images built in. You copy or photograph the page, drop it (or print it) into a OneNote page and you will be able to search the text and annotate over the top of it. Cheaper too. Don't know about the asian recognition though.

Gordon

5. Jurisprudence

Jurisprudence Pen Pal - Newbie

I use OCR for converting photographed books into searchable text. Being a law student you get burried in large 2000 page text books. I convert them and carry a library with me on the bus.

I started off with ABBY Finereader and Omnipage. My conversion times even using a 1.83 C2D were appalling. Then i moved onto Acrobat 8 Pro and the difference was astounding.

For instance a project which would take 24 hours on ABBY of Omni took about 1 hour 30 minutes on Acrobat and the results were much smaller, more reliable and the image reproduction was far superior. As they are being created in PDF originally all tracking options of Acrobat pro 8 were available as well which for me at least made a big difference.

Download a trial and try it.

If your doing what im doing , or wish to (mind the legalities of copying copyright material) import to Acrobat, convert the non-optimised images to PDF , OCR them and then and only then optimize the resulting pdf. This ensures Acrobat get to OCR your images with as much infrmation available to it as possible. Optimising 1st and then doing an OCR will give poor results for hte same resulting filesize.

6. jenarelJAM

jenarelJAM Scribbler - Standard Member

I've got a question: abbyy offers their professional OCR software for $400, but as an upgrade, for only $200. They also say that the Upgrade price is for upgrading to their product from *any* OCR product. Would that include OneNote?

7. FantasiaWHT

FantasiaWHT Pen Pal - Newbie

(is a law student too)

That could be quite useful, I never thought of that before. How time-consuming is it to take pictures of, say, 50 pages and convert it to text? How big are the files that are created?

8. Jurisprudence

Jurisprudence Pen Pal - Newbie

I use a small tripod which overlooks my desk (approx €25). I take a shot every 5-7 seconds or so of 2 pages at a time, recharge and transfer after every 350-400 shots. Its much quicker than scanning. The result you get still looks like a book as your just viewing an ocr'd image.

As for size I got an 840 page book of extremly small text down to 186mb.

Conversion times including transfer for that book was about 2 hours while I studied.

The lighting is the most important part. Try to have sunlight on the book itself. Artificial light has not produced the best results for me.

Going by the above results for my 840 page book wou'll be looking at about 6-7 minutes total round trip consuming about 11mb. Thats with Acrobat pro. With other software the times were exponentially longer. Maybe I was screwing up somehow but Acro was so easy to use.

I use Foxit Pro after to read it due to Acro being very resource heavy just for reading

My Casio Exilim S770 7.2mb is good for this kinda thing as the recharge shot to shot time using flash is only about 2.5 seconds and it last 400 shot before recharge. Then it just drops into the dock. Look for a cam with these features and a better macro mode. Maybe another Casio Exilim model with higher megapixel rating.

9. FantasiaWHT

FantasiaWHT Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the tips, Jurisprudence. The digital cam I have now would definitely not be up to that kind of load, so I'll have to think about it, but it is an intriguing idea.

10. kureshii

kureshii Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I personally prefer scanning, though it is slower than photo-taking, I only need to flip the page and press scan and then work on other things while the page scans... more productive =) You don't get good results unless you rip apart the book, though...

I can't afford Acrobat Professional, but Microsoft Document Imaging works fine for me and has decent text recognition. It's small enough after you compress to MDI format. The only thing I don't like is the lack of preview during scanning, but once you're in the groove it's not an issue.