OCR scanning in OneNote!

Discussion in 'OneNote, Evernote and Organizers' started by Bronsky, Feb 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

leaftye likes this.
  2. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

3. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Yup, I think this may be an update for the Phone version as I have been using this feature with the desktop version for quite some time.

By the way, with a TabletPC with a rear camera and OneNote it makes my issue resolution efforts at work very streamlined. I can snap a picture of a part tag and extract the text. Pretty slick. I have also used it to document historical markers and road side signs for historical research. It is a wonderful tool. Having the capability on a smartphone will make it even better now.

4. tgv

tgv Pen Pal - Newbie

I didn't know the metro version of Onenote did this. I'm weighing up buying my first windows 8(.1) tablet at the moment and that would be a useful feature.

Does a 5 megapixel rear camera allow for decent OCR accuracy?

Does anyone know if this OCR feature is in some way reliant on windows language settings. Most of the documents I would scan would be in a language which, for example, doesn't have handwriting recognition available in Windows. Could this be a problem?

5. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

I should clarify. The metro version of one note allows you to grab "scans" directly from you camera. It detects the edges of the page so that it automatically crops and corrects for angles, so the page doesn't have to be perfectly perpendicular to the optical axis. This makes taking the picture easier, but it is also useful for avoiding your shadow =) It also corrects for page coloring if you want. Once scanned the OCR works in OneNote desktop. I have never tried the OCR part on metro, so I don't know if that part is there (nor do I know it isn't there); however, if your getting a 10.1 inch or smaller tablet it will include desktop OneNote. My camera is 5 megapixel and it works. I generally use desktop OneNote for everything other than "scanning".

6. tgv

tgv Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the clarification. That certainly makes sense.

With regard to my question about the language of the text, certainly images of text inserted in OneNote 2007 which i m currently running are searcheable in other languages (even if when I right click on the image and look at the "make text searcheable setting I see that english is selected") I guess the fact that we re dealing with typed text rather than handwriting means it doesnt really affect the results whatever language is marked. I just wonder if the lower quality of images taken through a camera might start to be an issue. I-ll have to do some experimentation and report back.

On another, related, note, what software would you use in Windows 8 to produce a "scanned" PDF file from a your rear camera? I know on android there are apps such as CamScanner, or even the google drive app I see has a button making it easy to "scan" a pdf file from your camera. Do you know of any options for this for windows, either metro or desktop. I guess going the onenote route there might be someway to then extract that image and create a pdf, but it I dont know how to go about doing that and it seems to add extra steps to the android option of just: take a photo, save as pdf...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.