OCR...am I crazy?

Discussion in 'Software' started by cjkogan111, Oct 18, 2007.

1. cjkogan111

cjkogan111 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,
    After I got my tablet pc, I decided to get a opticbook 3600 to scan some of my books onto the tablet. I scanned them, and then turned them into pdf form with Adobe Acrobat. At that time, the pdf files were maybe 200-300 pages long. I next tried to OCR them. Every time I tried, however, adobe would crash after 30-120 pages or so. Anyway, I eventually split the books up, so each pdf file was maybe 30 pages long or so. Anyway, my trial of acrobat has run out, and I'm looking for something else (that hopefully won't crash.)
    Any ideas?
    By the way, I put the "am I crazy" portion in the title, because it seems that there would be decent demand for pdf --> searchable pdf, but I'm not having much luck.
    Thanks!
    -cjkogan111

2. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

Adobe used to crash on me too, but for some unknown reason it works now. I've ocr'd a few 300-900 page books in the last few days. If Adobe isn't an option, check out Abby Finereader. The advantage with that program is that it's better at converting to Word, which may also mean better looking and smaller pdf's.

3. cjkogan111

cjkogan111 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the reply. I've tried Abby Finereader...I try to convert a pdf to a searchable pdf, and it screws up the documents. I'd like them to look like they did before, only be searchable, but abby finereader doesn't seem to have the functionality of converting an image pdf to a searchable pdf, without messing up the document.
    I also tried Aquaforest TIFF Junction...almost perfect. It would be perfect if I wouldn't have already commented on the documents, and if it didn't put a stupid TRIAL VERSION stamp on the top of every page (which I think was smart of them, however, it sucks for people like me who don't have $500 or whatever it costs to buy it - I think it is around that much.) Anyway, all the highlighting that I had done works against me, and after the program is done running, it comes out as blacked out text. Also, all of the comments get lost in the process. One thing that is great about their setup, however, is that you can OCR a whole folder of documents at once...so when I split a book into chapters, that really helps. Also, it doesn't seem to crash.

I wonder why adobe started working for you. I might have to purchase a copy though...maybe I'll see if they know anything about the problem.
    Thanks!
    -cjkogan111