NuVision Solo 10 Draw is down to $99 at Microsoft Store

Discussion in 'Buy, Sell, Trade and Tablet PC Deals' started by violajack, Jul 20, 2017.

1. the_whiterabbit

the_whiterabbit Pen Pal - Newbie

I mean, at that price why not just order the Asus Transformer Mini for $229? https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sto...signature-edition-2-in-1-pc/92rqj6nf7rv5/2K5S

2. ashekai

ashekai Pen Pal - Newbie

3. the_whiterabbit

The Asus Transformer Mini I linked does have a pressure sensitive stylus--it comes with the same Asus Pen that's used with the Asus Transformer Pros. For the price, it's hard to beat--it also comes with a year of accidental damage protection.

I have one, and the biggest drawback is that it is quite slow at times. Other times it works fine, but sometimes it's just really, really slow...like several seconds to open a desktop Office app. :(

However, given the cheap price, great looking (and BRIGHT) screen (even if it is low rez), I decided not to return it. It works great with the UWP OneNote, has great battery life, and streams well. It's generally fine for web browsing, too.

If only the processor were one step up in the Cherry Trail stack, I bet it'd be fine. However, for what it is, I'm overall quite pleased.

4. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

The Surface 3 is nearly the same price as the Asus Transformer Mini and carries an X7 Atom, not the X5. The Thinkpad 10 has the second generation X7-8750 and should not be that much more.

5. the_whiterabbit

I agree--the Surface 3 or Thinkpad 10 are much better because of those processors. But the Transformer Mini is $230-$250 with type cover and the Asus Pen, and a year of accidental damage protection (in addition to its normal warranty). It's hard to find a Surface 3 with the type cover (which is a better type cover than Asus's) and Surface Pen (I would say Asus's is very close to the Surface 4 pen) for under $300, especially with a decent amount of warranty left. Same issue with the Thinkpad 10.

Of course, last I checked the Transformer Mini was out of stock too, so the point is kind of moot...though it can at least be found sometimes, and for under $300 with warranty, keyboard and stylus.

Intel having discontinued their Atom line makes me worry for the future of low-cost tablets with active pen support.

6. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

That is why some of us are waiting anxiously for Windows on ARM devices.

7. the_whiterabbit

Yeah, it really looks like that's the future, and it's a cool solution. I just would've preferred native support rather than emulation.

Still, the Windows store is getting better, and all those apps will have native support, so that's a good start.

8. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

Supporting the Windows store will end in a seriously bad place for third-party Windows developers and consumers alike. The last thing we need is M$ dictating terms to devs via store submission policies etc. Eventually M$ will start digitally signing accepted software from the store and prevent unsigned scripts from being installed manually. Their sales pitch/reasoning will be "Security" and what about the children blar blar...

Personally I won't even register an email address etc. on Win 10 or the store. If the apps aren't accessible for installation from the devs site I'm happy to find an alternative or do without. Unfortunately devs are already buckling under along with users, so we are all going to be dragged down the karsey with them at some point!

Silly f-ing humans!

Looking on the bright side and in the longer term, it means Linux will eventually become the OS of choice, and replace Windows altogether. Simply because it will allow you to use your own hardware as you wish, rather than being locked down in some walled garden, where a corporation dictates how you can use your own devices.

Kumabjorn likes this.
  9. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The Century City (L.A.) Microsoft Store held a grand reopening sale yesterday and I picked up a blue Solo 10 Draw for only $49 including pen and sleeve. Can’t say I love the aesthetics and it’s taken several hours to install updates, but for under 50 bucks, how bad can it be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 Editor-in-Chief of TechAndTiny Senior Member

I am looking forward to your observations. N-trig is traditionally a bit CPU intensive so I am quite curious about how the pen experience holds up.