NuVision Solo 10 Draw is down to $99 at Microsoft Store

Discussion in 'Buy, Sell, Trade and Tablet PC Deals' started by violajack, Jul 20, 2017.

1. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

2. Caramello

Caramello Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you for that. I'll keep trying with this thing. It's just that I'm starting to see how crap it is, but it could be just because it needs more memory. Can I pick your brain one more time? I want to get a better pen for this tablet. Which would be suitable on a budget: a second hand Microsoft Surface pen (the one with the purple top button) or a brand new Sony Vaio VGP-STD2 pen? I've seen both on eBay at prices I can afford.

3. surfaceproartist

The VAIO pen is decent, but I'd suggest stretching for the Wacom Bamboo Ink. At least you'll have lower IAF and a couple of different tip hardness options. And the Ink is useful on devices with up to 4096 pressure levels. The old Surface Pro 3 pen only offered 256.

I've never been a fan of the VAIO pen because its tip is so hard. It's also likely a 256 pressure level pen too.

4. Caramello

Ooh, that's £70 for me... Well, if it will help improve the experience, then I'm willing to try one from Amazon (so I can at least return it if this tablet really is a POS). I did read your extensive review on it and it does seem tempting. Will it improve the accuracy? That's more important to me than pressure levels. It's not too chunky is it? One thing I didn't like about Wacom's pen designs is that they're like drawing with markers! I'm used to mechanical/drafting pencils and slim pens.

I remember trying their slimmer Intuos pen when I had an Intuos 4 M, but it was so hard and plasticky that I just had to return it. I'll be sure to update my experience with this tablet once I get it to run smoother as it is just not good out of the box (and worse after the Creators Update which I can't roll back from as I deleted the Windows.old files to save space as I had only 5GB remaining!).

5. surfaceproartist

I love the feel of the Ink pen. It's similar to the S-Pen with a soft touch finish, but I actually prefer the Ink because it has a triangular barrel. The new S-Pen is like is squared off, like an elongated chiclet.

Remember that in the early days of any device, Windows is downloading updates and indexing, which is never fun. But I'm not sure performance will ever be great with such a small amount of RAM.

6. Caramello

I'm working on that. I have some scavenged components from a broken Surface 3 (case and screen were smashed, but mainboard was still functioning). I'm hoping that they can be BGA soldered into this tablet. My theory is that since the Surface 3 has a cherry trail processor and the NuVision has one too, at least the LPDDR3 RAM and eMMC should be compatible. It might also be possible to upgrade the processor (to a X7-Z8700 since it is exactly the same as the X5-Z8300, but with a boost in graphics and speed according to Intel), but I'll have to see what the people I'm hoping to do the job for me say about that.

7. surfaceproartist

Wow. Good luck with that!

8. Caramello

Yeah... I actually tried this with a different tablet, but tried to do it on my own... Let's just say it didn't work out. So this time I'm sending it and the components to professionals with the right equipment. I refuse to give in! :mad:

9. crazycat

crazycat Pen Pal - Newbie

Wow, that seem to be a very... brave experiment.

I recently ordered a Bay trail board stripped from old Chinese tablet for 20 bucks. It has one full sized USB one micro, dedicated DC and mini HDMI, basically a perfect PC stick for TV. Unfortunately I disconnected power during windows update and now the stubborn HDMI just won't show BIOS via TV so no option to reinstall. I find some screen cable connection on the board and tried to find a screen that fit in the local repair store to try getting to BIOS from it, but even if the cable fit, display never turn on.

Each tablet main board seem to have a BIOS written only for components modeled for it (ram , screen , touch screen, audio card... have to be the exact same type and brand, or the BIOS won't be able to recognize and enable them.). So even if you can perfectly desolder the old component and solder in new one, you still have to rewrite the BIOS and flashing it in which require specialized tool. Also considering the closed source nature of these board, your chance is slim.

And in the 1% chance the professional you bring it to could do both perfect micro soldering and rewriting BIOS, I suspect the total cost of tablet+service could be enough for you to buy a better device like a Transformer Mini.;)

nnthemperor likes this.