NuVision Solo 10 Draw is down to $99 at Microsoft Store

Discussion in 'Buy, Sell, Trade and Tablet PC Deals' started by violajack, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Komatsu

Komatsu Pen Pal - Newbie

I am using a machine with 4 gigs of ram and it struggles doing even basic things. I am maxed out on memory without even doing anything crazy. I would be very cautious about buying a windows device with only 2 gigs of ram.

2. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah, I buy stuffs from AliExpress too. Well, if any of the forum members near an MS store could be kind enough to help you out, that'll really be great. I'm in Japan, so I can't help there. Good luck!

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

3. Caramello

Caramello Pen Pal - Newbie

I agree. I did have the intention of seeing if it was possible to get larger capacity compatible LPDDR3 RAM modules BGA soldered (as well as the eMMC) to see if I could boost it a bit. But Windows 10 is supposed to be pretty lightweight and efficient (from what I've read), so perhaps I might be able to work with it and just do line art on it (though colouring would be nice too). I managed to find a nice service and ordered the tablet Sunday night. It's on its way, so hopefully I'll get it in a week or two if I'm lucky.

4. Caramello

Well, I finally have one...

And I'm having issues. When I try and draw with the included pen, it seems my palm is recognised even though the tip is touching the screen. I updated the tablet to Windows 10 Creators' Edition and it still remained the same even after setting the option to disable touch when the pen is used. I'm thinking of downgrading the tablet to Windows 7 and using some N-Trig Duosense drivers I've found from Lenovo. They installed on Windows 10, but wouldn't run. From some screenshots I've seen on the Dell website it had a LOT of settings that could be configured in terms of input.

I don't really do gestures much and I like the "Auto Mode" I keep seeing, which should solve my problem. I'm also going to look for a cheap used Surface pen to ensure 100% it isn't just the pen that's the issue. Are there any other N-Trig pens that are worth looking out for? I plan to use either Sketchbook Pro or Mischief on this thing. Has anyone ever downgraded or installed Windows 7 on a tablet? I know it's not UEFI compatible, but I think there's a way around that.

5. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Don’t do it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Caramello

Err, why not? Is Windows 7 really that bad on a tablet? I still use it on my PC (it's like a rebirth of XP to me)...

7. surfaceproartist

@Caramello For one thing, you'll be losing all the advances that Microsoft has made in ink support over the last ten years. But you're also unlikely to find Windows 7 drivers for your hardware. What software are you using to ink? I'd focus on finding apps (like Sketchpad in the Windows Ink Workspace) that allow you to explicitly shut off touch painting (usually called pen mode). Sketchable, Sketchbook Pro, Clip Studio Paint and others all have a similar feature.

8. Caramello

I tried the Sketchbook app that came with the tablet and that's where I saw the palm rejection issue. I was planning to install the desktop version I already have, but I wasn't sure if it was worth it as the issue was even happening on the desktop (palm would bring up notifications on the taskbar, or the onscreen keyboard)!

9. surfaceproartist

There's a pen icon in the upper right corner of the tablet version that allows you to disable touch inking. The desktop version still doesn't have this, which is unbelievable to me.

10. Caramello

Gave it a try and it's better, but I also had to hide the taskbar as well as my palm would still activate what's on it. Sketchbook has some "free trial" banner there and I keep clicking it with my palm. I'm having the canvas jump about even though it's in Pen Mode! I really wonder if I'll be able to make use of this tablet at all. The calibration is off too as the ink is not near the tip. I thought parallax was less with N-Trig? That was one of the reasons I decided to go with this tablet. :( Would Windows 8 be any better in terms of inking? I can at least use those drivers... can't I? The N-Trig auto setting disables touch when the pen is near the screen until you do a double tap.

Otherwise, I'll need to really work on upgrading this tablet. I want to believe it has potential as a cheap and cheerful digital sketchpad, but the pen is sluggish and I can't seem to find a better way to calibrate it. Would using a Surface Pen help? Even a little?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017