Nursing School Tablet

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Raz_mfs, Dec 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raz_mfs

Raz_mfs Pen Pal - Newbie

I am looking at getting my fiance a tablet for nursing school any help would be much appreciated.

General Questions.

1. What is your budget?
    $350

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
    Yes

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?
    a convertible tablet to with a keyboard

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    •5 to7-inches
    •7.1 to 10-inches
    •10 to 13-inches
    •Above 13-inches
    7 - 10

5. Which country do you intent to purcnohase from [where do you live]?
    USA

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    no

7. How many hours battery life do you require?
    6+

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)
    microsoft word and onenote and video record lectures

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?
    windows so her documents will transfer from tablet to her laptop

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)
    microsoft office and one note, and video record

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.
    no

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?
    no

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?
    n/a

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    no

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom or N-trig?
    no but would be nice if applicaple

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?
    i just purchased an HDD 1 TB for her to transfer her recorded lectures to. not sure what hard drive and memory is needed for video record and microsoft office.

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs? full size would be nice but an adapter can be purchased. hdmi is not needed.

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?
    will the tablet be strong enough to power the external hard drive?? The main goal of this tablet is to take notes, write papers, and record lectures while she is taking notes. And when she gets home she can study from her notes or transfer to her laptop to print or edit otherwise.

Thank you for your help

2. Raz_mfs

Raz_mfs Pen Pal - Newbie

Nobody has any info to help me??

3. odie812

odie812 Pen Pal - Newbie

I am also looking for a device to get me through a health professions school.

Your price range is your limiting factor. For under ~$500, you will be hard pressed to find a tablet that can do all that you want it to do. With most tablets, adding a keyboard dock adds $100-200 to the price. And if you want a tablet to record or store video lectures, you will require a bit more hard drive space. You should also realize that recording video will be taxing on the battery life.

In your situation, I think the best device would be the Dell Venue 11 Pro. Here, however, you would be looking at $800 for i3 processor, 4GB ram, and 128 GB hard drive. The keyboard dock is an additional $130. And if you want an active stylus, it is $30.

There is also the smaller Venue 8 Pro, but it really doesn't have the specifications that you need for the functionality.

You might also consider Thinkpad Tablet 2 with bluetooth keyboard, or convertible devices such as the Dell XPS 12 or the Lenovo Yoga 11s. The Lenovo Thinkpad Helix is also pretty cheap these days. A thousand bucks gets you a tablet, keyboard dock with extra battery, and active stylus.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  4. InsGadget

InsGadget Pen Pal - Newbie

Sounds like the Asus Transformer T100 might be perfect for you.

5. Nthknd

Nthknd Pen Pal - Newbie

Perhaps a first gen surface pro. Check ebay lots of stuff there. I have thetransformer book t_100 and it works well for my schooling and you can add a ssd. Its 345 to 400.

Sent from my C6802 using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.