"Nuke" Your Hard Drive - Protect Your Assets and Privacy

Discussion in 'News Headlines' started by d-Roc, May 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

<H4>"Nuke" Your Hard Drive - Protect Your Assets and Privacy </H4>

Getting ready to sell that old notebook or desktopand get yourself a super-cool Tablet PC? The easiest avenue to sell your computermight beeBay or Amazon.com. Perhaps you will donate it to a school or charity? Maybe you plan to give it away.

No matter whereyour old computer isheaded, every activity that occurred on that machine is most likely retrievable. All your financials, credit card purchases, emails and sensitive documents are right there. Simply reinstalling Windows with the recovery disk will not remove this information, it only marks the space on your disk as "available". If you wouldn't feel comfortable handing out your Social Security number to whomever you plan to pass your old machine to, then you need to "nuke" your disk!

There are many great utilities available to remove information from your computer and prepare it for sale or disposal. The only drawback is the cost. You can easily find yourself throwing down $30-$50 just to use thesoftware one time. The price is discouraging enough for many users to simply skip erasing their disk and send there sensitive data out to the world. If the thought of risking your privacy and spending some hard-earned cash for a piece of software that you will probably only use once is disturbing, then we have a great FREEsolution for you!

[​IMG]

Welcome to "Darik's Boot and Nuke". This softwarealmost literallydoes what the tiltle implies! If you have a few days to run it, you can destroy the data on your hard drive to the point that the FBI's best won't be able to recover one byte!

(Note: You maycreate a bootable CD-ROM to run Darik's Boot and Nuke, however we recommend the floppy version as it can generate a log file to the disk and confirm that the "wipe" was a success.)

To get started you will need a floppy drive. We used an external USB drive:

[​IMG]

Next, you will need to insert a floppy disk. Then you will need to download the software from: http://dban.sourceforge.net/. Unzip the folder, then run the installer. The readme file in the folder is very helpful. By following the instructions, you will create a "bootable" floppy disk.

Next, restart your computer and boot with the floppy drive. If your machine will not boot off of the floppy disk, you will need to reset the drive boot order in your computer's bios.

[​IMG]

Once you have made it into the "Quick Commands" screen, you can choose the wiping method needed. If you choose any of the top versions (dod, ops2 or gutmann) you will be waiting a day or two for the wipe to complete. The good news - that disk will truly be "nuked", hence the name of the application.

[​IMG]

You can also customize each of the wiping methods by choosing whether or not to "verify" each pass and deciding how many times or "rounds" you wish to complete.

[​IMG]

If you have only basic stuff to erase, the "Quick Erase" method should still suffice. Our test run took nearly ten hours to run on a 60GB drive! Darik's Boot and Nuke doesn't mess around!

For further information, go to the official website:

http://dban.sourceforge.net/

Barry

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Nice story. How many times do we have to hear the story of some company or government agency selling a computer on eBay with tons of trade secrets or otherwise secretive information?

3. Barry J. Doyle

Even worse is when our doctors get rid of their machines with our own personal history and social security numbers. Thank goodness that awareness of the problem is increasing.

4. BlissX

BlissX Pen Pal - Newbie

If you happen to work with Magnets, that could work as well. It'll have to be a rather powerful magnet, but it does the job quick.

Or you could just abuse the HD to submission. Drop it in the water, throw it, the open it while hammering the innards. :-D

5. Barry J. Doyle

Bliss,

I have actually tried to physically destroy a hard drive. If you don't get to the platter and literally destroy the entire surface, data can still be recovered by experts! On the other hand, a significantly powerful magnet could indeed do it.

6. Andrew

Andrew Just a Guy Staff Member

Good points and great article Barry. I have to say "boooo" to the floppy drive usage here though. i don't have one and refuse to buy one for such a purpose :p It'd cost the $30 - $50 you mention other software costs. I guess I'd just go with the non-logged bootable CD version.

7. Barry J. Doyle

LOL, Bootable "SD Card" anyone?

8. d-Roc

d-Roc Pen Pal - Newbie

Point me in the nearest direction to add that to my Dell and I'm good for doing that. :)

9. Barry J. Doyle

Hah! We need to talk to the guys at SanDisk to sell it as a "bootable" nuke SD card - right out of the package!

10. d-Roc

d-Roc Pen Pal - Newbie

That sounds great. I want a build in SD reader for my laptop now. And the boot-SD card has to be able to boot my PDA into a safe mode too, no need wasting all that good space on bootloaders for just one OS :D