NOW AVAILABLE: ENVY x2 / Spectre XT TouchSmart / ENVY TouchSmart 4 Ultrabooks (Windows 8)

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by justinkw1, Aug 30, 2012.

1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I can't imagine that HP with its tablet experience would utilize anything but an active digitizer. If N-Trig is okay with you, the Envy is probalby your next tablet.

2. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

I can't imagine that HP, with its tablet experience, would drop the obvious (to me, at least) "detachable" form-factor for the better half of a decade, then re-embrace it after a much smaller OEM (Asus) championed its comeback. I also can't imagine that HP, with its tablet experience, would design a detachable and relegate each and every one of its ports and connectors to the keyboard-dock. Also, I can't imagine that HP, with its tablet experience, would completely omit a Pen silo from both the slate and keyboard-dock of said detachable, then dare to ship that "Tablet PC" without a goddamn Pen. (?!?!)

Bronsky, at this point into the game, I wouldn't be surprised if HP made a tablet without a screen.... :D

3. Bronsky

LOL.:D (10 char)

4. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

You seem to be assuming that the Envy X2, clearly a consumer-oriented device (based on the name), is the only convertible tablet HP will release. It's not. We know that business-class convertible tablets (such as the leaked Slate 8) are on the way, and they'll certainly be a better fit for someone like you who wants the characteristics of a business-class machine.

Or you could get a Thinkpad Tablet 2, which I think addresses each of your complaints.

5. k.adhiputra

k.adhiputra Pen Pal - Newbie

Half of the things you have said in this forum refers to he fact that n-trig is the worst piece of technology in he history of humanity (that's how I interpreted it anyway) coming from your experience with your slate. That - along with complaints from various sites, made me try to steer away from n-trig as far as possible.

However there are some speculations that the latest version they released a couple of months ago will be at least usable for things other than writing. Has anyone got ahold of a demo and comment on its functionality?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

6. Bronsky

History of humanity may not be strong enough. Maybe history of the universe might be more appropriate. My point was that if any active digitizer is okay with you, that you will likely see that. If you asked me if I would consider another N-Trig device, the answer is still an emphatic no. It's not just the crappy design of the pen, but the failure of N-Trig to support it's earlier hardware versions and the failure to ensure timely updates. With W8 RTM already weeks old and the retail release 6 weeks away, we still don't have a compatable console, which is critical to proper pen operation. If not for that, I would be using W8 full time. As it is, I uninstalled it and am sticking with W7 until a console is released.

It could be that the new N-Trig hardware will be great. But, I would want to be damn sure before I plopped serious money down on another N-Trig device. If you're getting one, I would wait for actual user reviews on this site, where users are sophisticated.

7. e-schreiber

The strange thing to me is: while many people (I don't know the percentage) show contempt for N-trig, there are some people who are quite happy with their N-trig tablets. Are the discontent the majority or the 1%? Are the satisfied users the standard or the lucky souls?

I have never used N-trig gear so I'm genuinely puzzled with this issue. I accept the premise that their digitizers are unfit for creation of professional artwork, where precision is paramount. But what about casual note-taking, diagramming and writing? Is N-trig 3.0/3.5 hardware indeed likely to induce thoughts of suicide or is this just another case of "we haven't yet heard from their millions of satisfied users around the globe"? To this day we still don't know whether the S7S' owners that experienced the screen-lift were the rule or exception....

Whatever the case might be, I hope N-trig 4.0 is noticeably better as competition is great!

8. k.adhiputra

Which would mean I will have to wait until at least December for proper reviews and feedbacks to come in. I think I really should stop visiting this forum every 20 minutes hoping for some extra information on these devices. It makes the waiting even more unbearable.

The forum itself is very informative and indeed sophisticated, however. I have yet to find another forum with as much enthusiasm for windows 8 tablets.

9. k.adhiputra

Which would mean I will have to wait until at least December for proper reviews and feedbacks to come in. I think I really should stop visiting this forum every 20 minutes hoping for some extra information on these devices. It makes the waiting even more unbearable.

The forum itself is very informative and indeed sophisticated, however. I have yet to find another forum with as much enthusiasm for windows 8 tablets.

10. simpleatsh

simpleatsh Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi guys, HP just updated the product page for the Envy X2, and one picture on the "Features" page answered the million-dollar question: The Envy X2 does use n-trig technology. here's the link and check it out yourself.

HP ENVY x2 Features - Ultrathin 11 Inch Tablet | HP® Official Site | HP

The stylus seems to be the same one they showed with the latest ElitePad 900, and judging from the more "pointy" tip, it's not the same stylus we are all so familiar with from the Q550 and HTC Flyer, which can be a evidence that newer 4th gen n-trig digitizer is on board.

Finger crossed for the 4th gen n-trig improvement, and hopefully the new atom processor doesn't suck as much as the z670 older brother. I really like the X2 design, I would even say it's so far the best designed atom windows 8 tablets. if new n-trig was "comparable-with" or "not-far-behind" the Wacom experience, HP could count my money in their pocket already!

Update:
    It looks like the Sony Vaio Duo 11 also uses the new ntrig, and judging from the youtube hands-on videos, the new digitizer is working pretty well.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  11. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

I had a very detailed dream that the Envy X2 would retail for $949 including keyboard dock. Thoughts:

(1) that's about $150 higher than I think is a good idea, and
    (2) my dreams have gotten REALLY boring since I turned 30.

12. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

13. Giacomo UCDS

Giacomo UCDS Tablet PC addicted

In Italy the Envy x2 will arrive November 15th, at 899 euros. With keyboard, without pen.

14. dceggert

dceggert Moving 'up' from iPAQ Senior Member

The Elitepad 900 will be using an Atmel digitizer and, yes, I agree that the pens are identical between the two photos for each of the product pages so I would guess that the Envy X2 will also use Atmel, not N-trig.

I did see an update, however, with the following video down next to the keyboard under the 'share' button:

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/ad/envy-x2/overview.html?jumpid=hpr_r1002_usen_link1

I had not seen that before...I may just have missed it. In any case I posted the link here.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
  15. Giacomo UCDS

Last week I used a pre-production Envy x2 for three days, but without pen. Q550 and 2760p don't work on it, so I was sure that it is no N-Trig or Wacom, but where you find the confirmation on Atmel digitizer?

16. dceggert

dceggert Moving 'up' from iPAQ Senior Member

Right here in the Elitepad 900 forum; Rick, the Program Manager at HP for the 900 let us know what was coming on the 900.

17. Tourniquet

Tourniquet Scribbler - Standard Member

Does someone know if there will be a UMTS / LTE variant of the HP Envy x2? Maybe coming some weeks later?

Also i've never heard of Atmel before. Are these digitizer more like wacom or more like ntrig?

Ah whats also interesting, the MS Surface does use an amtel touchscreen controller.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  18. Giacomo UCDS

I asket to HP EMEA executives some official infos about the Envy x2 digitizer and screen technology. They responded:

I don't know what it means. Have anyone heard "Astro pen"?

19. e-schreiber

He probably meant "Atmel".

20. tissot

tissot Pen Pal - Newbie

I believe Samsung ATIV Smart PC uses wacom?
    Videos i have seen about ATIV Smart PC and pen usage have been very impressive so it would be a shame if HP would not go there.

No idea about Atmel so i guess i just have to sit and wait for the first videos were it gets tested. I really want to go for HP because of the materials used and design, but if the stylus response is in anyway crappier than on Samsung i have to go for Samsung.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012