1. You may have noticed that TabletPCReview looks a little different. That's because we've moved to a new, streamlined platform, XenForo. Have yourself a look around and engage with your peers. Tips for completing basic tasks are here. Should you encounter any bugs or issues, please post them in this thread, so that we can prioritize and fix them. And feel free to let us know your opinions of the new site.

NOW AVAILABLE: ENVY x2 / Spectre XT TouchSmart / ENVY TouchSmart 4 Ultrabooks (Windows 8)

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by justinkw1, Aug 30, 2012.

1. justinkw1

justinkw1 Pen Pal - Newbie Super Moderator

(This article is also available for viewing at our sister site, NotebookReview.)

HP will be releasing a brand new lineup of touch-based notebook PCs in the coming months. All of these models will be natively running Windows 8.

Due to the recent nature of this announcement, certain links may not be working just yet.

More information: Windows 8 tablet and touch Ultrabook laptops |new PC and laptops | HP

Press release: HP News -*HP Unveils Innovative Multitouch Hybrid PC and Ultrabooks

Even more information (courtesy of Engadget): HP announces 15-inch Spectre XT TouchSmart Ultrabook, Envy 4 Ultrabook with touch -- Engadget

HP ENVY x2
    Available December 2012.
    Windows 8 Laptop Tablet | Two Mobile Devices In One - HP ENVY x2 | HP® Official Site | HP
    NotebookReview Hands-on Preview: HP ENVY x2 Hands On Video Preview
    Specifications: HP ENVY x2 Specifications

[​IMG]

HP Spectre XT TouchSmart Ultrabook
    Available November 2012.
    NotebookReview Hands-on Preview: HP SpectreXT TouchSmart Ultrabook Hands On Preview

[​IMG]

ENVY TouchSmart Ultrabook 4

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  2. Juke

Juke Pen Pal - Newbie

The Envy X2 was perfect until I read it had an atom based processor :(
    I want a real TM2 succesor! I hope we'll see more things from HP, since I am a little dissapointed with what all the other companies have anounced. I don't like this type of hybrids, but it seems it's the trend now...
  3. bloodycape

bloodycape Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I was hoping the X2 was using the latest Fusion cpu and not Atom. The rest of the specs look pretty solid, but optional pen makes me think it may not even be using a proper digitizer? Then again the HTC Flyer for a while had the pen as an option and that was N-Trig so who knows.
  4. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I was looking towards the Lenovo machine, Atom based as I'll be ok with a dual core atom, but now I'll go for the ENVY x2. (As above... depends on the stylus support). I'm wondering what the battery life will be seeing as the dock has an extra battery.

UPDATE: But maybe not as there's no (Could be wrong) USB on the slate itself :(
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
  5. Giacomo UCDS

Giacomo UCDS Tablet PC addicted

Are you kidding? This tablet SUCKS. I was hoping a tc1100-style tablet and this is a Transformer, with no docking station and no possibility to use the device as a tablet with keyboard attached. If I think that HP have the best form factor ever and he copy a other OEM design... damn, as a HP tablet user since ever, I feel offended by this IFA.
  6. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

I don't understand your complaint. The Envy _is_ a detachable slate with a docks or keyboard. Almost exactly what you said you're looking for, if I understand your comment right.
  7. Giacomo UCDS

The Envy x2 is a tablet without any port - all the connections are in the keyboard/dock. But if I have the keyboard/dock, I can't use the x2 as a Tablet PC, since the hinge is a clamshell-type and it can't rotate under the tablet - like in the tc1100. And this is not good: in tablet mode I can't even use a USB key or a USB 3G Key.

This, for me, is a VERY big problem. And with this comes a long list of bad things:

- 16:9 on a 10.1" screen - no portrait use.
    - No dock
    - No pen housing
    - No user-replaceable battery

Compared to the tc1100 form factor, it is far inferior...
  8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I think he means it lacks classic convertible style.
  9. Steve B

Ah, I see. Lack of ports on the slate portion and lack of a pen silo is regrettable. However, these complaints about 16:9 screens and non replaceable batteries have gotten so old-- complain if you want, but EVERYTHING is being built that way. Go use your tc1100 if you're so in love with it. Sheesh.
  10. Giacomo UCDS

I know that these kinds of complaints are old and annoying. I'm sorry. But after the Touchpad, with a 4:3 screen, I really, really, hoped a kind of consumer tc1200 - and I find that it is very sick to see that a great company that has built (and builds) great devices like the tc1100, 27*0p and tm2 offered, for Windows 8, only non-convertible devices or a Envy x2 when with an effort not huge - and taking advantage of the lessons of the past - they could build much better tablets.

My tc1100 is gone, and my actual 2760p and Q550 are great but they can not give me a fraction of what the tc1100 has given me over the years. I was hoping to buy a new ultralight but fully functional Tablet PC from HP this winter - but at this point HP is no more for me.
  11. GiOakJoe

GiOakJoe Pen Pal - Newbie

I love the keyboard Idea ever since I saw the asus transformer. I agree that I don't like no ports on the Tablet part.
    Needs
    micro hdmi
    usb at least 1
    micro SD (which it has)
    headphone/mic jack

every thing else can be on keyboard dock

Also don't like the thought of it being Atom..... but maybe they will make a good better best - Atom, i3, i5 with discreet graphics please :D
  12. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

For me no ports on the tablet mean that I can't seriously consider the device. Shame as I do like my HP stuff. At the moment the only clear long life battery device for me is the Lenovo Slate 2 (Windows RT will be purchased for people in work). I'm not that bothered with it being an Atom or a power house as I'm trying to run everything virtually these days (Other than my ninja desktop).

HP could have released something fantastic but I suppose these are different times and they have to stay safe. One point to note... This is NOT the tablet that featured in the various adverts so where is that machine?

All in all if HP kept the SD slot and all other ports on the keyboard dock, offered a stand-alone mini-dock AND added the usual ports onto the tablet it would be absolutely fantastic. Imagine it.... Dual HDMI, lots of USB, DUAL sd card slots (128Gb SDXC x2!). Dock at work, dock at home or dock to the keyboard and away you go. Why is it hard for the people making these machines to think about these things? I suppose at the end of the day it all comes down to... $$$.

P.s. I understand that Lenovo will be offering the dock, a stylus and the keyboard. They've actually had a bit of a think. (Will, of course, wait to see what other devices hit. Heck I'd keep the Samsung 7 slate if the battery was a bit better)
  13. Tourniquet

Tourniquet Scribbler - Standard Member

From a design perspective i really like the Envy X2. Its my fav. tab for now. The keyboard dock comes with an extra battery and enough ports.

Does someone know if there will be a 3G / 4G variant of this tab? Somewhere i read "optional" but on all the other sites, i don't read anything about it.
  14. Steve B

I guess, for me, I wouldn't use a slate with much in the way of ports. For that sort of work, I'd be at a desk, and would just dock it and use it as a laptop. I'm mostly interested in the slate functionality for really mobile usage-- in the hand literally in the field taking notes, or on the couch drawing or surfing, drawing outdoors, etc. For that, ports aren't part of my usage pattern, and are really beside the point.

Not to say other usage patterns aren't valid. Just trying to express why the ports are essential to some users.
  15. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

I'm beyond excited about the Envy X2. Looks perfect for me. Atom delivers lower price and better battery life than Ivy Bridge, and I've got my Vaio F2 for high-performance stuff. IPS screen, Beats audio, and the apparently-impeccable build quality are all enticing.

For those who want something convertible instead of detachable, the Dell XPS Duo 12 seems like a better fit.
  16. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Anyone want to speculate on price? The Envy name and the general build quality and the keyboard-dock-as-standard-equipment makes me think $1000+, but with an Atom processor I'm hoping for something more like $750-$850.
  17. Steve B

I'm also excited about the Envy 2, but I wouldn't pay more than 700-800$ for an Atom processor computer. If it cost 1000$, why not just get an S7 for 200$ more? There needs to be more of a price separation to make the Envy 2 enticing. My guess is 800$. That'll be atleast 400$ less than the top tier new Win8 laptops and tablets.
  18. bloodycape

bloodycape Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well isn't the low end envy spectre like 700? So we may get lucky and see it for 650 or maybe even less?
  19. Steve B

If it really is 500-600$, that would seal the deal. Its a tablet, which says expensive, but it's Atom which says cheaper. It can't really be my only computer (or atleast I don't think so), so I feel like it needs to be priced as such. 500-600$ would also make it far more competitive with the iPad- it's perceived competitor. Plus it would have a keyboard dock and full Win8. Now that's a good deal. 800$ or more though..... Eh.
  20. Pianomanos

Pianomanos Scribbler - Standard Member

I think the Samsung atom-based hybrid will be $650 w/o keyboard and $750 with, so I'm guessing $750-850 for the HP with its apparently better build quality. $750 or less would be a great price. $500-$600 seems pretty unlikely.