Novice questions

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by kureshii, Nov 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GSK

GSK Pen Pal - Newbie

I am a novice when it comes to tablet PC's and after reading this forum; have decided to go with the t4220. I have some questions though:

1). I am getting the machine so that I can use photoshop for digital photo work and also to use Painter X. Am I correct in thinking that the SXGA+ will give me better resolution to see the photos in photoshop? I can then decrease the resolution to use in note taking so that fonts will be more readable. This is better than getting XGA correct?

2). How well is inking working out these days? Are you able to write at your regular "on paper" speed or do you need to write slower so there will be no lag time. ( I will be getting at least 2 gigs of ram and will be using Vista buisness). Do the new machines and software pick the writing up pretty quickly and correctly ( I have good clear handwriting) or am I looking at hours of recognition sessions?

3). I also want the computer for internet use. I am a complete novice on WiFi. I would need to get a card from someplace like sprint or verizon correct? Since I wolud be using it on an infrequent basis; are there any plans that let you pay by the day or hours of usage?

4).On the t4220, when they talk about the extra bay, do they mean that you either can only use the modular battery or a drive separately or is the drive in addition to the optical drive? In other words, the computer has an optical drive plus there is an extra slot for a swapable extra battery or hard drive, etc.
    I appologize for the elementary questions but as stated above, I'm a tablet PC novice.

2. lavenderpup

lavenderpup T4220 Owner

1) Don't know, since I'm perfectly happy with XGA, however, surely you could just zoom in and write in SXGA? Well if not, you have the option to. So probably is a good idea if you want to pay the price.

2) Inking has no lag at all anymore. Core 2 Duo? Perfect. If you have clear handwriting, and you write in the way it likes reading it, it'll read it fine. I have messy handwriting and it works well there. Even reads it when I cannot.

3) Wifi, well, you don't need the card and it comes in built with wireless internet but that depends on what area you are in. For example, in the CBD area, there are various wi-fi hotspots where I can access internet for either free or as a paid service. With a card, you can access it anywhere, but in that regard it isn't actually wifi being used but HSPDA or something like that [acronym forgotten], and this works more like a mobile phone in a sense. So no, you don't need it, and you could just wander into an area which has wifi and use that [wifi hotspot listings can be found online].

4) The extra hotswappable bay replaces the spot for the optical drive with either a second hard drive, or another battery, or well.. the optical drive, or a placeholder. So no, it has the main hard drive, and just another slot which is swappable.

3. kureshii

kureshii Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

When you say fonts, do you mean the on-screen fonts or your handwriting font? Your handwriting is equally visible on either resolution, limited onyl by the size of your handwriting. And you can increase the font sizes without changing your screen resolution.

It is better to keep the screen in its native resolution because upscaling/downscaling won't look as nice, XGA resolution always looks better on an XGA screen than on an SXGA+.
    If there's nothing wrong with your tablet there should be no lag at all.
    All tablet models I know of come with a built-in 802.11b/g wireless card. As for internet access plans, I'm not too sure about that since I don't live in the US.
    You cannot use the modular battery and optical drive together, as they share the same modular bay slot. Only one at a time.

I hope this helps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.