Notified of stylus shipping delay

Discussion in 'Dell' started by xrayzebra, Dec 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xrayzebra

xrayzebra Scribbler - Standard Member

I thought it interesting that my (Venue/Synaptics) stylus shipment has been delayed. Dell sent me a notice of this today, delayed from Dec 18 to Dec 26 delivery estimated. Of interest due to discussion in a thread I can't find now, with speculations that stylus shipments were being delayed by quality control issues and changes to production. I don't know if this is demand outstripping supply, or if they stopped shipments to deal with QC issues as some have speculated. Your guess is as good as mine - just thought someone else may find this of interest?

2. Jcink

Jcink Scribbler - Standard Member

Even with the updated firmware the stylus has been pretty poor according to various reviews I've seen. So perhaps they're holding back on it.

Honestly I have no idea how Dell was OK with shipping these anyway, given the stylus problems, both firmware and hardware related. All it takes is someone using it for a minute or two to see how clearly broken the whole stylus functionality is. Which is a shame, but I'm hoping it will improve in the next few months.

3. xrayzebra

xrayzebra Scribbler - Standard Member

I've already got an earlier Stylus and a V8P. The stylus works better for me than most comments by others would indicate, in terms of simple point and click. The right click button works but the erase button doesn't work at all. But, frankly, a passive silicone tipped stylus is just about as useful as the active stylus.

Having used many older tablets with various types of digitizers, I am in ~no~ way impressed with the Synaptics digitizer. The active digitizer and stylus on the Fujitsu Stylistic 250 running Windows 95 that I used for work 12 or 13 years ago was at least as good if not better. In fact, I think the digitizer and pen on the (black and white) Stylistic 125 I had before that was at least as good as the Synaptics.

How do we have that much tablet pc history, and the "latest and greatest" is no real improvement? Could reproducing turn of the century technology really be more expensive? Isn't most everything else getting to be better but cheaper technology?

4. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I guess I got lucky with my pen. It's not nearly as good as a Wacom and it does "act up" here and there but for handwriting recognition and inking in OneNote the pen is more than usable and I use mine constantly, using it right now to post this message while laying in bed.

this technology does work, I think there was some manufacturing defect in many of these first batch pen as well as some software issues. It is unfortunate but given the device's overall qualities it is still a great device. But l do love the pen on this device, particularly the handwriting recognition in the input panel which on par with my Wacom devices surprisingly.

5. Kyuu

Kyuu Pen Pal - Newbie

This is markedly different than your usual active stylus technology, as there is no digitizer layer for the stylus. The capacitive touch layer does double-duty for the active stylus. This is obviously a system meant to bring the price point down, not to compete with Wacom. There was no way they were going to integrate a traditional active stylus system at the $299 (and oftentimes going for lower) price point. Other OEMs simply aren't even doing an active stylus at all on competing products. How much did that Stylistic 125 cost?

I'm not excusing the stylus situation -- the first batch of styluses were obviously quite shoddy, and the firmware still needs another pass. I just don't agree with the idea that they were supposed to do magic and get a Wacom-like solution into this kind of product at this price point.

Now, as for the shipping delay, I can report the same situation. I actually ordered a stylus on December 1st, and it was originally slated to arrive on the 13th (today). I received a notice that it was delayed until the 26th, same as the OP. If the delay is due to them fixing the issues with the stylus and getting a revised batch out, I'm quite happy to wait, honestly. If they still send shoddy pens out after this delay, I'm not going to be very happy, though.

6. phenglie

phenglie Scribbler - Standard Member

^^^ My money is on Dell revamping the stylus. It's obvious the first round of beta testing the 1st gen version has failed.

7. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

It all depends on the perspective of what we, as individuals, perceive as 'better.' A single layer digitizer is lighter, cheaper, easier to package, easier to build, uses less power, and is easier to repair. Now, if you are referring to 'better' being pen performance then no, it is not better. However, you need to keep in mind that the philosophical direction Microsoft set with Windows 8 was not to have a pen anymore. It made me wonder when MS included a Wacon digitizer on the Surface Pro, but if you remember it was not made a big deal of at launch. A late addition or afterthought? Maybe...

Now, on the performance topic, the touch performance on the Synaptics and Atmd digitizers is superior to Wacom or N-trig, which are far superior for pen use. It is the touch performance that self-proclaimed expert reviewers call 'laggy' on Windows TabletPC's. The criticisms of all the expert phablet reviewers going back to the intro of the iPad has been laggy performance (improve touch), ew it uses a pen (delete), it is not optimized for watching movies (16:9 ratio), and it is such a bad performer it needs a ctrl-alt-delete button (delete). Now, maybe, you can see why or how we got where we are with the present day offerings?

The pen performance is way inferior to Wacom or N-trig but the touch experience (especially transitioning from one to the other) is far better. The machines are also cheaper, lighter, thinner, and less power hungry. We also see some cracks forming in the philosophy of Win 8...16:10 ratios are now becomming popular, pens have been added to Atmel and Synaptics digitizers, Wacom is being added to some (Thinkpad's, Fujitsu's although these will be called 'laggy'...you watch), and the market is trending less expensive. Not perfect, but yes, things are improving!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  8. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

DC - I get what you are saying, BUT - why can Samsung integrate clearly superior Wacom digitizers in their Note series tablets for reasonable prices - Note 8 $329 and Note 10.1 2013 $429 (Staples). Even their flagship device, the Note 10.1 2104 ed is $593 (Amazon). Granted, these are all Android devices, so no Microsoft tax, and lesser memory, but FAR SUPERIOR screens as well as Wacom goodness. But for the lack of OneNote, they would be my go to choices right now on a price/performance basis.

Then again, only us old fossils use our hands to write characters on paper or computer screens - Jobs declared digits were only good for stroking and petting glass...

9. jyan_osu

jyan_osu Scribbler - Standard Member

I have a Note so I know how good writing is.. but.... comparison of the Note 8 and Dell Venue 8.. I can see why Dell didn't put a Wacom in it for costs reasons

- CPU Exynos vs Baytrail - Samsung has their own in house processor, probably costs them less. Dell has to source processors from Intel..
    $17.50 for the CPU vs $32 for Baytrail Samsung Galaxy S 4 manufacturing costs estimated, higher retail price ,Rumor: Intel to match ARM SoC pricing with low-end Bay Trail-T - The Tech Report

- Android vs Windows - Free Android vs. Licensing costs for Windows

- 16GB vs 32GB min configuration. - Again Samsung spends a little less here

And so on and so on..

So for a Note 8 16GB costing $329 vs. a Dell Venue 8 Pro 32GB costing $229 Dell Venue 8 Pro Tablet BELL8-PRO81 - Micro Center Samsung "cut back" on a few things to put Wacom in there and keep it at that price. $100 less is a significant cost factoring in a few more items on the Dell Venue 8 that costs more than the Note 8 counterpart.

Now if you want Dell to integrate Wacom on the Venue 8 and sell it at a higher price, that's a different argument.

10. Mickeylittle

Mickeylittle Pen Pal - Newbie

The only problem that I see with what Dell is doing here is that their digitizer only works with their pen. I've used the Lenovo, Ativ, Surface Pro, and now the Note 10.1 and I have used the pens that come with these tablets as well as a pen that I've bought off of Amazon and they are work together.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.