Notetaking tx26**/tx2z vs. 2710p

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by st1tcount, Apr 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fellan

Fellan Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,
    I have had my head wrapped around buying a tabletPC constantly for a couple of weeks now. I haven´t been able to concentrate on anything else.

I need a cheap tabletPC for notetaking, simple drawings and building mindmaps.

Alot of people recommend the 2710p over the tx26**/tx2z.
    Does that mean that notetaking on the 2710p is more accurate and "pen-paper" like than the tx26**/tx2z?

Is there a notable difference in notetaking capabilites? Which is better, tx26**/tx2z/2710?

How about fan sound? Is it possible to bring tx26** or tx2z to class without disturbing everyone? Has anyone tried?

Given the fact that I have only used pen and paper before, does that mean I am going to feel that the it is a problem to use the tx26**/tx2z as a notetaking tool?

Is the criticism of the tx26**/tx2z based on the lack of product quality or the lack of quality tabletPC functionality(like notetaking)?

Best regards
    Fredrik from Sweden

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  2. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The HP2710p and HPTX26xx use an active Wacom digitizer.
    The HPTX26xx has an additional resitive passive digitizer in front of the display.
    The HPTX2z uses a N-Trig digitizer. Which supports both an active pen and a capacitive passive digitizer.

Regarding pen input, all three should be similar. I don't think that N-Trig has a worse pen experience, but I don't know it for sure.

The difference is the build quality and the used components.

The HP2710p is a business class tablet with an excellent display and a chemical hardened glass cover in front of it. It also uses the power efficient Intel Centrino technology. And it's solid build.

The HPTX26xx and HPTX2 are home entertainment tablets. They have a poor display with poor viewing angles, dim backlight, and because of the passive digitizer in front of the display a very grainy display. They also use the inferior AMD platform, which is less expensive, but also less efficient.
    The HPTX2 also uses the N-Trig digitizer, which has a capacitive passive digitizer, but its pen has no pressure support in Photoshop and N-Trig has lousy drivers.

3. miner

miner Scribbler - Standard Member

I use mine in class everyday and no one has complained yet and I dont see any reason for them to complain. The fan at its lowest speed is fairly quite and unless you are in a a room without any ambient noise the fan noise at this level is minimal.

As far as quality is concerned vs the 2710p/2730p you have to realize that most of the times the tx2600/tx2z are usually half the price of the 2710p/2730p. If you have the budget then get the 2710p otherwise the tx2600/tx2z work just as fine and ofcourse you would have to live with some compromises.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  4. Fellan

Fellan Pen Pal - Newbie

That sounds good.
    I heard someone complain over viewing angle on the tx20**.
    Does the tx26** and tx2z suffer from the same problem? Do you have to be right above the tablet not to suffer from viewing angle problems?

@Frank
    You are stationed in Germany, do you know any tabletPC stores within the EU with reasonable prices? I am looking alot at ebay.co.uk but it would be good with alternatives.

5. miner

miner Scribbler - Standard Member

Yes, its true, the viewing angles and the screen itself is poor. I usually have to angle my screen especially in tablet mode while in class in order to cut away the glare from the lights on the roof and that usually results in not being able to see the screen clearly. Is it workable? yeah, it takes a bit of adjustment on your part to sit away from any direct glaring light.

BTW, forget about viewing the screen outdoors in a sunny or even a cloudy day.

P.S: This is valid for the tx25**/tx26** since they use the same screens. The tx2z on the other hand are starting to ship with matte screens which might be better in terms of glare issues.

6. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Most tablets are overpriced in europe. So if you don't find a used tablet in ebay, then it will get difficult to get a tablet for less money than the price the manufacturer wants.
    If you're a student, then try some student stores, there it's possible that you'll get a better discount.
    Or think about importing a tablet from the US (you'll have to calculate with around $180 shipping costs + VAT)

7. st1tcount

st1tcount -Classified Information-

Back when the tx2500 was released, I purchased one. A few months back it died so I purchased a 2710p. They really can't be compared since they are meant to do different things. From my experience the inking experience is decent on both. Its not going to be like Motion Computing's slate tablets, but it is very responsive and you shouldn't have any issues if you are planning to only use it for notes and simple drawings.

The Tx series is said to have poor build quality and its true. If you handle any other tablet or business laptop you will feel it instantly. It is geared more towards the student demographic, boasting powerful processors, average battery life, powerful graphics (for a tablet pc). You can do some casual gaming on it, run processor/memory intensive programs etc. The hard drive is a standard SATA 2.5" so upgrading it will be no issue and it will be fairly fast. The plastic body seems flimsy (because it is) and the computer gets really hot thanks to the AMD processors. The Tx2z uses n-trig as opposed to wacom on the other Tx models. N-trig had a lot of drivers issues on the Dell XT a while back so I am not entirely sure how much has changed. Also N-trig didn't have pressure sensitivity in photoshop when I was researching (check up on that if its important to you). These are also cheaper to buy new, but if you buy them used, 2710p used are pretty similar in price.

The 2710p is a business tablet sporting slicker look, smaller and stronger frame. It has very good battery life but one of the slowest hard drives on a modern laptop ever. You can upgrade the hard drive using a Solid state disk, but its pretty expensive. The processor isn't very fast but its perfect for simple uses like note taking and casual drawings (thats really all I use my tablet funtionality for). the 2710p also has some other nifty features like a slice battery that attaches onto your laptop (effectively letting you connect to two batteries at once). Overall its much more sturdy, the thing feels solid, no creaking, the hinge seems durable etc. If all you need to do is simple stuff you can find used ones pretty cheap (at least in the U.S.). The newer 2730p is basically the 2710p with a track pad mouse input, rather useless in my opinion since the track stick works perfectly well. It also can use slighty more powerful processor (and a SATA Hard drive, I think which is faster) but overall its more or less a minor upgrade to the 2710p. If you can afford the 2730p you should get it since it is better. Unfortunately when I bought my 2710p, the 2730p hadn't been released so I got stuck with a 2710p but its a very nice computer, almost as solid as thinkpad's X series.

Hope this (really long) post helps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.