NotePro 12.2 LOLLIPOP upgrade.

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy Note and Tab' started by stoneseeker, Aug 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Hey guys I took the plunge and updated. Anyone else?
    Things I've noticed so far both good and bad:

-lock screen is better and signing in with pattern is snappier.
    -smoother navigation in general.
    -the home screens no longer wrap around when swiping. What I mean is, if I swipe right it stops and doesn't loop back to the e-mail/calender/flipbook screen and start over. This seems stupid. Is there a setting to get it to infinitely loop like before?
    -smaller UI in general looks sharper and nicer.

What about you guys? anyone do it yet?

2. stoneseeker

more thoughts with more use:

-So far no broken apps!
    -Corel Painter received an update and has some new options which are interesting, they overhauled their UI too. It crashes more frequently though. :( Don't know if I blame the OS upgrade or the app upgrade for that one. Really impressive program otherwise though.
    -I can't get over how much smoother everything operates now compared to kitkat.. Battery life seems uneffected from what I can tell so far, but I haven't really tested it too much in this regard yet. Overall I have been really impressed with battery life on the Notepro on kitkat at least.
    -Sketchbook (paid version) still crashes. Didn't lose the drawing this time though. Seriously all the art apps crash so much, even when basic drawing or painting for more than 10 minutes. Frustrating.
    -No wifi issues like some have reported with other devices.

3. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I keep getting a "failed to contact server" message even though nothing seems to be running. I haven't noticed the error message affecting any programs.

The lock screen appears very briefly and will turn itself off if I don't swipe to unlock immediately. Overall, the swipe to unlock gesture doesn't seem as reliable as it once did.

I'm not a fan of the new notifications layout. It's easy to miss the Clear item.

I wish I could get rid of all the extraneous Samsung UI that I never use.

stoneseeker likes this.
  4. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

I'm sure a root with custom rom will solve that.

5. surfaceproartist

Too much effort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stoneseeker likes this.
  6. stoneseeker

I agree about the lock screen, haven't encountered your error though. However, swiping my pattern used to lag massively, now its smooth as butter, but yeah its annoying it turns off so quickly. I think it is in case your button got pressed accidentally in the bag, but the previous amount of time seemed fine to me.

What Samsung UI specifically bothers you? I find it rather attractive for the most part. I agree the clear items as better before though.

I don't want to root either. It's so confusing, and what about Knox? I don't even comprehend what Knox is at this point... what does it do? prevent you from getting warranty if you trip it? Brick your system?
    Every time I look up how to root its like sifting through 20 pages of unreadable jargon and I just give up on the idea. Android is too strange for me to be that adventurous, but the benefits of rooting seem nice.

7. surfaceproartist

I rooted a couple Android devices previously. It wasn't difficult but ultimately I didn't find it worthwhile maintaining the rooted device. It ended up being easier to revert back to the plain vanilla Android available at that time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. stoneseeker

What do you mean "maintaining" a rooted device? Updates for apps dont work if its rooted? or it requires some sort of routine cleaning?

9. surfaceproartist

I didn't just root my devices. I installed mods which had to be maintained with updates of their own. OS updates would delete the mod or the mod might delay access to the latest features. It was all a pain.

10. stoneseeker

gotcha. Do you also find the update to make your device snappier though just navigating through menus and the OS? It seems much quicker to me and less laggy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.