Notepad, Paint and Wordpad to become optional?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by desertlap, Feb 6, 2020.

1. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

WillAdams and Steve S like this.
  2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

Interesting suggestion! Personally, I've always wondered about Wordpad and Notepad; I could see one or the other, but having both always seemed redundant to me...

3. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Avid user of both here! :)

Notepad is wonderful for stripping formatting from HTML copied text (and as a micro code editor, in a pinch); WordPad is a nice lightweight alternative to Word (for PCs without Office installed).

MS please keep these (at least as options).

WillAdams likes this.
  4. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@Marty I use wordpad as well , for one it produces relatively clean raw text output that's could for editing config files and so forth. What I'm advocating for is simply an option not to install it if I don't need' want it.

And ask an IT manager in a. big company how many wordpad and pain files they deal with because even though they have office, the use just doubleclicks and goes.

5. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

The only difference, I believe, is that they will make them removable. If you don't want or need them you can take them off the hard drive. Probably save you a whooping 10 MB.

6. Dwig

Dwig Pen Pal - Newbie

I use (and cuss at) WordPad almost daily. I also use the similar macOS app as often. They are both vastly faster and more convenient for simple note taking while providing formatting options (fonts, colored text, highlighting, ...).

I no longer use Notepad as I've "replaced" it with Notepad++, but either do excellent service when I need pure text without any of the overburden that occurs with "word processors". I'm glad that I can rely on having Notepad on any Windows machine that I have to work on. macOS no longer ships with a similar app, they only have an RTF based WordPad analog. My Macs get the free version of BBedit installed to provide services similar to Notepad++.

I use more powerful word processors, usually LibreOffice, when the job benefits from the additional functionality. Still, the light weight WordPad and Notepad apps are valuable. It's a case of using the right tool for the job.

Lilawyn likes this.