Notebook 9 Pro Replacing LCD safe for EMR function?

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by fvig2001, Sep 8, 2020.

1. fvig2001

fvig2001 Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi

So I was greedy and bought an extra Notebook 9 Pro for $600 on 2018. It has some slight imperfections on the LCD (bright points and a weird crack at the lower right corner like 0.5 cm x 0.5cm. I was wondering, if I buy a np940x5m-x03 lcd part that includes touch, will the s pen still work? I asked the seller and he just said yes it would fix touch if it was broken.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
    hiramkey likes this.
  2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Damn! $600 for a N9P? Nice catch.

Replacing the LCD shouldn't affect the pen since the stylus digitizer is a whole other component which lives under the screen. But I've not opened mine up, so I don't know for sure how it's all arranged. In all the many Wacom-enabled tablets I've taken apart, the digitizer layer has always been separate, not glued or anything, and the screen always just lifts away.

Replacing the LCD on these super-thin modern laptops is probably quite tricky, however, involving heat guns to melt glue and such. Good luck and try not to kill your computer! When it comes to minor cracks, it might be smarter to just cover them up with a bit of electrical tape and count yourself lucky that it still works and that you got a good deal.

If you do go all in and try to fix it, however, be sure to take some pics and post them for the rest of us!

stoneseeker, hiramkey and fvig2001 like this.
  3. fvig2001

So I did the LCD installation because I'm a cheap ass. It's not for the feint of heart.

Steps are:

1. Remove the screws at the back
    2. Use a tool to loosen the clips on the back
    3. Take out the back and disconnect the battery
    4. Unscrew the 3 screws between the hinges
    4. Remove the plastic under that reveals the threading of the positive wifi antenna
    5. Remove the 2 screws of each hinge
    6. disconnect the display cable (just unhook from bottom to top and it slides out easily
    7. Disconnect the antennas of the wifi and guide them out
    8. Try to open the laptop for the hinges to separate the top and bottom
    9. Take out the bottom part under the Samsung logo in the front and disconnect the ribbon cable (it will loosen as you take out the LCD) better be safe than sorry and remove the 2 screws
    10. With a plastic tool, go along the sides of the top. You will have to literally insert it between the plastic and the LCD
    11. You have to go around the top of the laptop and you will probably crack the screen
    12. Annoyingly, a plastic frame is glued to the LCD, so you'll have to take all the broken glass out and then put it back to where it was
    13. Disconnect the 2 cables at the back (display and EMR cables)
    14. Get as much of the frame as you can from the back of the probably destroyed LCD
    15. Return the frame to the plastic case. You probably won't need the metal housing for the screws since it's stuck to the frame and does nothing
    16. Reverse everything (use tweezers for the ribbon cable under the logo on the top of the laptop. Ensure that the backlight area is clean (I had a bit of blood in it and it was visible in Windows).
    17. Test then glue the LCD screen.

I am stuck at 17 since I have no glue. I'm still looking if super glue is the way to go. I also tried to take the plastic on the bottom right at the top and since this laptop was abused, part of it fell off and I'll have to fill it with sugru. I wonder if superglue will work for the LCD.

Annoyingly, there's a small hole under the LCD area of the replacement LCD I bought, so I bit of backlight comes through. I'll probably use a marker to hide it from behind the screen.

Thankfully Windows hello, webcam, touch, screen and EMR still work. I say it's worth it since I hate the bright spots and the small cracked area on the used N9P that I bought.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020 at 8:57 AM
    ATIVQ, JoeS and Marty like this.
  4. Qyygle

Qyygle Pen Pal - Newbie

Use double sided tape or pull tab removable adhesive strips. There are types of tape specifically for cell phone screen repair which should do what you're looking for I think.
    You can find rolls of it on Amazon or Newegg. The pull-tab type strips are harder to find, you have to dig around on Ebay, most of the ones on Amazon are for iphone models specifically. They make it much easier to remove the next time if you need to do another screen replacement.

fvig2001 and Marty like this.
  5. fvig2001

I guess I could look for that. Annoyingly, I ****ed up the reflective layer behind and there's a spot that's a bit messed up. Any idea where I can get a replacement for it? I could take it out but there's bright spots on the backlight that the film hides.

6. Qyygle

Qyygle Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm not too sure what this reflective layer is. Was it part of the LCD assembly that you replaced? Like the silver bit on this picture?
    [​IMG]
    I'd just try taping some aluminum foil or something to it if that's it. If it's a layer that sat behind the panel entirely, I'd be careful. It could be part of the EMR grid, might be best not to mess with it too much if that's the case.

7. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Omg.. :eek: Not your typical "accent color"!