Notebook 9 Pro - 940X5N Display Malfuntioning

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by defjeff, May 13, 2021.

1. defjeff

defjeff Pen Pal - Newbie

Has anyone else had problems with the display on this model?

Here is a video of the problem.

The screen will suddenly go all white/gray like you see in the video. This doesn't affect an external display. Connecting or disconnecting an external display while it's happening resolves the issue (temporarily). It happens randomly, so I have no way of reproducing the issue.

Samsung recommends I let a service technician look at it, of course. Being that it happens randomly, they'd probably not see it and tell me everything is fine. Not to mention it's out of warranty and I'm low on cash.

Just a shot in the dark that someone here might have a thought. Thanks in advance for reading.

Attached Files:

2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Ouch. That's not good.

It sounds like a flaky connection between the graphics driver and the screen. -But my first attempt to fix it would be to look at software and cross my fingers. Did you install anything new around the time the problem started? Maybe start there. -Also, check for any screen/graphics driver updates and make sure they're installed.

If none of that works, and if the problem gets worse over time, then it's likely hardware related. I'd probably try opening up the machine and pulling, cleaning and re-inserting the cable that goes to the screen.

Other than that.., there's not much you can do.

I hope you manage to sort it out.

I've been vaguely wondering how much life is left in mine; I treat it with gentle loving care and hope that I can get a few more years out of it. It's still usually quite an expensive machine on eBay. -I've eyed a couple of deals for used/reconditioned units which would have still cost around $8-900 (CAD) after shipping and import duties. In general it's a $1000 for a replacement.

The next best option is to pick up one of those blue 'Flex' models, but they start at $1500!

3. defjeff

defjeff Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping you'd be the one to respond because you seem like the resident Notebook 9 Pro expert around here.

I *think* what's happening is it's overheating. I use it folded back and with "Maximum performance mode" on because I try to squeeze as much power as possible out of it. However, I ran a couple CPU temp monitors and saw it was raising above 90°C. Google says that is bad. Perhaps that mode is only meant to be used with short tasks.

So current hypothesis: I'm a dumbass.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  4. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Oh, that's a nice possibility if true!

-I remember a year ago, I found mine would fail when I was rendering long videos in Davinci Resolve. It wasn't the screen cutting out; just render jobs stopping at seemingly random times with unhelpful "failed to render" messages.

I fought with codecs and all kinds of nonsense until I realized it was just over-heating. -The solution was to artificially cut the processor load down by 25-50%. (An option available in Davinci, so I didn't have to muck around in the power settings.) That ended the problems for me. I totally didn't think of over-heating, but that's a real possibility.

Just as a precaution, I also now do all my rendering in "tent mode" so the fans have maximum access to cool air.

Hopefully you've got it solved!