Notebook 9 Pro 8th gen i7 feels really underpowered...

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Shogmaster, Apr 1, 2018.

1. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

This is second day (first full day) of trying out this thing and it feels really sluggish. I'm not at home so I can't compare with VAIO Z Canvas (i7-4770HQ) and Dell Inspiron 7568 (i7-6500U) but I don't remember the last i7-8550U I tried (HP Envy 17T) feeling this sluggish in Clip Studio Paint. I made sure to enable Performance mode, and the GPU is set to max (but the AMD never engages in task manager, only the Intel UHD).

I go home later and compare it with the VAIO and the Dell and report back.

Anyone else have similar issues on this model?

2. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm not sure that you will be touching the GPU using Clip Studio Paint using the 2D tools, I think you will find that the 3D acceleration kicks in if and when you use the 3D objects.

The AMD settings app should automatically detect CSP starting up and show it in the running applications list, where you can assign a power profile. If you start CSP and open Task Manager you will notice that no GPU Engine is assigned to CSP. Draw in 2D mode and you wont see any activity in the GPU columns. Now pull in a 3D model and manipulate it and you should see the GPU engine assigned and percentage used values. Once you stop manipulating the model the values return to nul values iirc.

Krita uses the GPU all the time if you do the same as above you will notice the GPU activity changes continually.

As for the sluggishness I have no idea? My older Gen 7 N9P seems snappy to me in CSP and everything else come to that. What canvas, brush and brush size are you using? I'm sure @thatcomicsguy would have mentioned sluggishness if he was experiencing it while using CSP. I don't come close to pushing the boundaries of the drawing capabilities like you guys probably do, so maybe I'm oblivious to a slowdown in performance?

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  3. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I honestly don't know what the GPU is even doing in my computer.

Maybe it helps for video playback..? It certainly doesn't seem to even turn on when I'm using any raster graphics applications, (which is to say, all of them). I don't run any 3D games or anything, so I'm pretty sure I could happily get by with just the HD Graphics processor. The past few years and devices have demonstrated that Intel's solution is super reliable for everything I need.

4. Shizaru

You maybe surprised how much the GUP gets used while you're not giving it your attention, for example most if not all modern browsers use the GPU. Media applications like VLC player will use acceleration. As for art programs Krita uses 3D acceleration for raster and vector layers, OpenToonz and Photoshop CS6 also make use of it. Obviously 3D packages like Blender hammer the GPU.

Clip Studio only seems to access the GPU when you're using the 3D models. It doesn't even use GPU resources when using the animation which seems odd? You would have thought the CSP devs would utilise the GPU as much as possible. Large brushes would work much more effectively if they hooked in to the GPU goodness.

Windows Desktop, Cortana and a host of other system processes and services will use your GPU little and often.

I would much rather have a dedicated GPU than have to rely on the integrated Intel 3D graphics. Having said that the integrated graphics have come along way over the years and you would certainly miss it if it wasn't there.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  5. alaskajoel

alaskajoel Scribbler - Standard Member

Timely thread. I just returned one of these because I was so disappointed with the performance. I even replaced the SSD with an NVMe model thinking I would keep this for a while but the CPU performance is so neutered. Any task that requires more than a few seconds of thinking very quickly slows everything to a crawl. On top of the constant fan noise, I decided to return it.

This processor has a lot of potential. Something's just not right with it in this device.

6. Shizaru

Can you give some indication of the use cases where you experienced slowdowns?