Note taking tablet- used Samsung ativ 700t vs surface pro 2 vs others?

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by zhiyangzeng, Jul 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zhiyangzeng

zhiyangzeng Pen Pal - Newbie

1. What is your budget?

$300~$600, can go up to i3 surface pro 3 without keyboard

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
    Yes

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?

Windows tablet PC unless there is ios/android program that easily convert handwritten notes into OneNote

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?

7.1 to 10-inches
    10 to 13-inches

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?
    US

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    No. But would think twice before buying Sony since they are out of business.

7. How many hours battery life do you require?
    5+. I prefer stability over everything.

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)

Heavy note taking with pen support for diagram. Light surfing and pdf reading. I have a primary notebook.

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?

No OS preference, but has to be digitizer-supported.

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)

OneNote, OneNote, OneNote

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.
    No.

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?
    No

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?
    No.

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    Don't care

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom or N-trig?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance
    Has to be Wacom or N-Trig. I used to own a Venue 11 pro and could not stand the Synaptics ones.

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?
    >=64GB is fine. Expandable memory required only for 64gb hard drives. SSD/EMMCs only

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?
    Need full-sized USB, don't care able others.

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?
    Strongly prefer a physical keyboard connection or a surface pro style kickstand (i.e. " lapability" is important to me).

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?

My preference is as follows: stability >>battery life=performance. I have used TPT2 and Dell Venue 11 pro and neither one of them worked consistently, which was important for me. They both have bugs here and there. My budgets and Macbook Pro retina allow me to work with the following cases:

#1 Preference- get a secondary machine to exclusively take notes on. I'm strongly inclined for a used Samsung ATIV 700t or Surface Pro 2 or other atom tablets with physical keyboard and digitizers. I want to know your experience with them and any quality control issues/ bugs. Which one would you recommend?

#1.5 Preference- i3 Surface Pro 3: a little outside my budget. But I can save up for a few months.

#2 Preference- Use OneNote on my MacBook Pro Retina to take notes and get a cheap tablet (maybe TPT2 or ASUS Note 8?) to add any diagrams or annotate while wirelessly syncing the notes. Not ideal because TPT2 crashed a lot on me and ASUS has the digitizer failure problem.

#3 Sell my Mac and get a Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga.. a bit crazy because I would sacrifice the battery life and stability of MacBook for the pen..

I'm pretty picky because I need my notes to be perfect. Thanks for your input:).

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  2. mrumble

mrumble Pen Pal - Newbie

The 700t is an i5, not atom. If you just want to do notes and are on a tight budget, you might consider the 500t which is the atom version and you might be able to pick it up used for $200 (the Canadian version does not have a digitizer/pen support so watch out). IMHO, the atom is woefully inadequate. The keyboard connection for these laptops is not good though. They're loose when they work well and they break completely with even the smallest fall. I have 2 broken keyboards in my basement... Next one will simply be a Bluetooth keyboard.

3. zhiyangzeng

zhiyangzeng Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah I could go with i5 used or ATOM new. Thanks for the input, suck that Samsung screwed up with the keyboard.. Not even the replacement/new shipments worked for you?

4. jb82

jb82 Scribbler - Standard Member

My 500t keyboard worked perfectly. Solid connection. However I've never dropped a laptop ever.

5. drvenom

drvenom Scribbler - Standard Member

The Ativ 500t was a great option a few years ago. I got it because it was the only full windows tablet at such a low price at that time. However, I'd suggest you go for something else if you plan to ink a lot. The palm rejection on the ativ 500 is horrible. The problem is not as bad if you use the metro version of Onenote, but that version has so few features that it might not work for you.

6. jb82

While I agree not to get the ativ 500t I have to say that palm rejection is not terrible on the 500t. Works as it should like any other wacom device. The 700t will work well too. You must have had a defective device or were resting your hand on the tablet before the pen was in range. Which would be unusual for most as wacom has a decent hover distance.

7. jb82

If you are still looking I'd highly recommend the surface pro i3. If you can't afford the keyboard now it could well be in your budget later.

8. drvenom

drvenom Scribbler - Standard Member

Maybe, but a lot of people have this problem. Many of us here have to toggle the touch feature on and off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.