Note-taking frustration

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by sitongia, Jan 8, 2016.

1. sitongia

sitongia Scribbler - Standard Member

I went to a meeting last night where I tried to use my E8N in ernest for note taking. I was dismayed. I've used Onenote before and know that it's awkward to use when switching between handwriting and text. I find myself continually putting little black dots on the page as I try to select a spot to enter text. I don't know how to get into a text mode where there's a cursor visible. So, I make a dot, then select the input from the dock at the bottom of the screen. For example, when I want to fill in the title of the note, I get a dot, open the pen input window, start writing, and it shows up in the title area, but I didn't know for sure, because there's no cursor until after I start writing. This is Onenote 2016, which I prefer over the "metro" app, because it has more functionality. I don't see how to select text mode and get a cursor in Onenote or Onenote 2016.

I was optimistic that HP Instant note, but wow, does it have a lot of problems.

First, when I'm looking at the start tiles in tablet mode and click the stylus to create an instant note, I don't even see it. It appears to be more oriented to desktop mode. If I then select an app, like Mail, then there is the note, on top of Mail.

The menu for the note does have a button for text input. That's great. But, click on it, and then click on the page of the note to select where to put the text, it immediately switches to pen input.

In the title area of the note, I have to be really precise to select left of the Title word in order to get the cursor and text input. If I haven’t, then I can write and insert and the text is simply thrown away.

Whenever I finish the note, it is really slow to close and pops up an alert “We’re sorry.” and something about Onenote cleaning up.

When I go into the Hub to edit a note, I then get an alert that Onenote 2016 is not licensed, requires Office 365 activation and some location can’t be opened. But, it does open.

Since I selected Onenote 2016 as the default and now I have this trouble, I’d like to change the app that opens from the Hub, but I don’t see any way to do that! It’s not in options.

HP notes really seem to be an unfinished product.

Basically, at this meeting, I was unable to take notes. That’s because I want to create text, searchable text. I want the handwriting input area to do the recognition for me, and then input the text. So, Notepad is fine, for example. But, I can’t draw in the same document as I insert text.

Neither of these apps bring up the pen input area when tapping on the screen. They really are oriented to scribbling.

Are there any apps that are oriented toward seriously creating multimedia notes? Should I be using Word, for example?

I’m going to send this in using the Feedback option in the HP Hub app, but I want to get reactions from all of you, too.

Thanks!

2. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

If you want text input, tap the are with your finger and open the SKB. If you want handwriting just use the Pen and scribble, when you are finished the Note will be subjected to OCR in the cloud and that makes it searchable. You can check later by right clicking the handwriting and from the context menu select Alt text...

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

3. sitongia

sitongia Scribbler - Standard Member

Anyone know about this Office licensing issue? What do we get with the E8N? Looks like I have Office Mobile, OneNote and OneNote 2016. The latter opens from HP Notes Hub, which is where it then says it needs to be under an Office 365 license. When it opens, and I look for some sort of About information to see the licensing, it is licensed as Office Home, not 365. Looks like a but in HP Notes Hub.