Note-taking apps for Windows 10

Discussion in 'Software' started by Tinkerer, Jul 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Tinkerer

Tinkerer Pen Pal - Newbie

I am using the Acer Switch Alpha 12 Tablet. I found out that the pen and /or the digitizer of this tablet is not very good. I also own a Huawei - Mediapad M2 10.0 that has a much better digitizer. lt recognizes my handwriting very good, in spite of the fact that it is regarded as midrange tablet. Maybe that causes my bias toward Android software.

2. Yoyo

Yoyo Scribbler - Standard Member

Just loaded and tried Xournal, thanks to neonnoodle.

Program is simple and light, and installs where ever you like- I put it on my SD card. Its super responsive, and very user friendly. Not a Onenote competitor, not enough features- but so easy and snappy to use. This could be my new default note taking program.

3. neonnoodle

neonnoodle Pen Pal - Newbie

Glad to hear it! I also remembered another program that you might want to try: Stylus Labs Write. http://www.styluslabs.com/

It's free, cross-platform and has some interesting functionality that goes beyond what Xournal can do. Unfortunately it appears to be abandonware at this point, but it still does a mighty fine job!

4. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That's an app made just to show case The handwriting smoothening (beautifying) technology that some researchers in Microsoft are working on. It has nothing to do with notetaking. One would be foolish to depend on Plumbago for anything serious.

the only reason most people prefer Onenoteover other Note taking apt is the freeform note taking and unlimited length & width of page. And you seem to be annoyed by it's main selling point. Remember, people were willingly paying to use Onenote few years back. Not having a right margin is great for long equations, mathematical differentiation and architecture.

And Microsoft has many note taking apps is in garage - Parchi, Plumbago etc. Onenote is clunky because all professional apps are that way. You have to know exactly what features you want from your App to get some use out of it.

Only feature I find missing in onenote is layers, so that you can write over your notes to make them more legible on a later date. And ability to sync Audio and handwriting which were recorded separately will also be great.

5. Tinkerer

Tinkerer Pen Pal - Newbie

I am annoyed that One Note does not allow you to have a fixed right margin for two reasons: First if I want to print out my notes for some reason I would have to format my notes before printing and second I don't want to always move the page to the right to see the complete line.

To save my notes On my device I have to enter a subscription for Microsoft Office - the free versions only allow saving to One Drive. Since I rarely need any of the Office Programs ( the available free programs suffice for my use) I also feel that OneNote is quite expensive.

I prefer using Lecture Notes for taking notes in courses. This program is easy to use, has layers, indexing, PDF support etc. Handwriting is much nicer on Android devices- my handwriting on Windows is barely legible. Also handwriting recognition is much better on Google's system without the need of training!